Value of: Nylander (TOR) for a Dman

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Gross.
Glad you're not the Leafs GM

Me too.

I am admittedly not as high on Nylander as the Leafs board is, as I don't believe he his hockey IQ is anything special. I'm also quite adamant about upgrading (preferably without trading Nylander) the worst right-side defence in the NHL and I'm tired of trading 2nd round picks for botttom-six centers at the deadline.

So, a trade that gets those two birds stoned at once is fine by me.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
No interest in Nielsen. but what about Gauthier? He seems like a guy in need of a change of scenery.

Not really interested in a Nylander + 1st base for Hamilton and Bennett but if you want Gauthier make an offer. Literally any pick will do. I'm not even sure they're going to qualify him this offseason, he's quite bad.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

Hyman-Matthews-Brown
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
Johnsson-Bennett-Kapanen
Leivo-Lindholm-Aaltonen

Rielly-Hamilton
Gardiner-Hainsey
Dermott-Zaitsev

D is a lot better, Offense is still very good with young guys getting a real chance. Andreas Johnsson is easily the best player in the AHL (6g/15pts in 9 playoff games) and Kapanen has the upside to make up for the loss of willie

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Not really interested in a Nylander + 1st base for Hamilton and Bennett but if you want Gauthier make an offer. Literally any pick will do. I'm not even sure they're going to qualify him this offseason, he's quite bad.

Gauthier probably no longer has a future here. his value is at most a 3rd/4th

Hamilton for Nylander
Bennett for pick 25

it aint too bad

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Leafs might need Nylander since Matthews and Kadri are the only two NHL centres on the roster.
Many Leaf fans and non Leaf fans think a RHD is panacea for the all the Leafs problems. Where has got Calgary, having three?

Reactions: Brock Radunske

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Gauthier's upside is Paul Gaustad. He's not very good at all. But you're more than welcome to him.
Honestly, that's more useful to use than another D prospect. With the graduation of Jankowski we have zero center depth in the minors and a potentail defensive bottom 6 center is something we need.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Honestly, that's more useful to use than another D prospect. With the graduation of Jankowski we have zero center depth in the minors and a potentail defensive bottom 6 center is something we need.

The Leafs need(ed) a 4th line center pretty badly too. Our bottom 6/AHL center depth is non existant. But we had to use a 2nd round pick 2 years in a row and are praying Aaltonen or Lindholm can fill the roll next season because Gauthier wasn't even remotely passable in his time here so far. We're dying for someone to fill that roll for us and he's so bad it's just not a sensible option.

Gauthier's upside is Gaustad like Jankowski's upside is Barkov. I mean maybe, but yeah, that's not happening. Gauthier is just a bad hockey player. Not a passable NHLer.

Now that sales pitch is over, a shiny 6th round pick will do, thanks :)

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Leafs might need Nylander since Matthews and Kadri are the only two NHL centres on the roster.
Many Leaf fans and non Leaf fans think a RHD is panacea for the all the Leafs problems. Where has got Calgary, having three?

not sure stone is a top 4 NHL dman. but they definitely have 2.
they kinda need a RW. michael frolik absolutely cannot be your best right winger getting 17mins per

Gaudreau,Monahan,Nylander,Tkachuk,Backlund,Ferland would be a pretty good top 6
Nylander with 49ESpts this year is probably a 70+ player with 1st unit PP time

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I think you have a poor view of those minutes. It is impossible to match D against lines exclusively. Dermott played more and more as it went on and handled every challenge perfectly. Calm with the puck, and elite IQ.
That is true, you can't always get the matchups, however when your playing 3rd pairing minutes it is a lot easier to do so.

I agree he did look extremely calm and I think he has elite hockey IQ. The fact is he never played top pairing minues or usage so I find it hard to compare his 16 minutes vs Gardiner's 20+ at even stegnth against much tougher competition on average. Gardiner produced a lot more offensively with tougher usage.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Dermott, have since the Leafs drafted him. I also think he could end up the best defender on the team. I just don't think he is there yet, partly because he hasn't been given a chance to play in the top 4.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
not sure stone is a top 4 NHL dman. but they definitely have 2.
they kinda need a RW. michael frolik absolutely cannot be your best right winger getting 17mins per

Gaudreau,Monahan,Nylander,Tkachuk,Backlund,Ferland would be a pretty good top 6
Nylander with 49ESpts this year is probably a 70+ player with 1st unit PP time
I'd argue Ferland was our best RW, that said, I think he is better suited for the 3rd line (and ideally back on LW), especially if we move Bennett. I'd keep the Triple M like (Tkachuk, backlund, Frolik) together as the 2nd line.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Hyman-Matthews-Brown
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
Johnsson-Bennett-Kapanen
Leivo-Lindholm-Aaltonen

Rielly-Hamilton
Gardiner-Hainsey
Dermott-Zaitsev

D is a lot better, Offense is still very good with young guys getting a real chance. Andreas Johnsson is easily the best player in the AHL (6g/15pts in 9 playoff games) and Kapanen has the upside to make up for the loss of willie
Bennett played wing most of the year and may not be a long term center it seems.

That is why I wouldn't make the trade proposed

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Hyman-Matthews-Brown
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
Johnsson-Bennett-Kapanen
Leivo-Lindholm-Aaltonen

Rielly-Hamilton
Gardiner-Hainsey
Dermott-Zaitsev

Just my opinion, but i don't think Hamilton is the right partner for Rielly.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
People saying a 22 year old last week player, who won over 51% of his 650 draws and has back to back 61 point seasons and 135 points in 185 games is worth a guy 33 years old, contracted to the absolute hilt and not what he once was...or Larsson or EJ.

Give your heads a shake. Slavin, Jones, Parayko or a signed Doughty (Willy as the centerpiece of a package for any...Willy, 18 1st and choice of Kapanen or Johnsson for Doughty at 9?). If not then keeping him isn't a bad idea.

For Nylander? Wow, his no-show, I-am-afraid-of-everyone performance in the 17-18 playoffs actually increased Willy's value?

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
That is true, you can't always get the matchups, however when your playing 3rd pairing minutes it is a lot easier to do so.

I agree he did look extremely calm and I think he has elite hockey IQ. The fact is he never played top pairing minues or usage so I find it hard to compare his 16 minutes vs Gardiner's 20+ at even stegnth against much tougher competition on average. Gardiner produced a lot more offensively with tougher usage.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Dermott, have since the Leafs drafted him. I also think he could end up the best defender on the team. I just don't think he is there yet, partly because he hasn't been given a chance to play in the top 4.

That's why I think the Leafs will still be a "development" team next year. Johnson, Kapanen, Altonen at forwards, Borgman, Dermot on defence and Sparks in net. Have to develop players for the the 2020s
And I'm believer that even the so called "bottom pairing" better be NHL good. Even if they play 14 minutes a game, it's usually at even strength. There is no way you can shelter them for 82 games. Your six NHL Dmen better be NHL good and with injuries you need seven or eight NHL dmen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->