Value of: Nylander (TOR) for a Dman

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
IF Dubas decides that trading Nylander for a high end defenseman is best for the Leafs long term, who could Toronto possibly get and who would realistically be available? Ideally it's somebody who could partner well with Morgan Rielly.

CRITERIA
- top 4 D
- real #1/2 potential
- must be under 30
- must skate reasonably well
- must have okay advanced stats
- must have (some) shutdown ability

Leafs are looking for a VERY good player here, or there's no reason at all to trade Nylander. Deal might be straight up or with Toronto adding, but no packages of lesser pieces in exchange for Nylander.

NOT INTERESTED
- Yandle (age, shutdown)
- Weber (age, speed)
- Karlsson (salary cap, 2019 UFA)
- McDonagh (without extension)
- Letang (doesn't use his brain)
- Barrie (shutdown, upside)
- Ellis (shutdown, upside)
- Myers (upside, 2019 UFA)
- Ekman-Larsson (2019 UFA)
- Brodie (has been regressing)
- Doughty (without extension)

(MAYBE) HAVE INTEREST
- Ristolainen
- Ekblad
- E Johnson
- Subban
- Trouba
- Lindholm
- Fowler
- Hamilton
- Larsson
- Burns

Some names of players I feel are (A) just not quite "high end" enough to part with Nylander OR (B) have completely developed and might be worth less than Nylander's high end potential...

Carlo, Ceci, Faulk, Severson, Hamonic, Gudas, Maatta, Niskanen, Brodin, Dumba, Klefbom, Tanev

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Jordie Benn, David Schlemko and Karl Alzner.

You didn't say no to these f***ing guys.

On a serious note, when it comes to the list and the value of Nylander, Adam Larsson and Erik Johnson f***ing suck.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Jordie Benn, David Schlemko and Karl Alzner.

You didn't say no to these ****ing guys.

On a serious note, when it comes to the list and the value of Nylander, Adam Larsson and Erik Johnson ****ing suck.

Not that the AVS would even entertain trading him but Erik Johnson would instantly become the Leafs' #1 dman and he's signed for 5 more years at a reasonable cap hit. I don't think "f***ing suck" applies but that's just me.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Not that the AVS would even entertain trading him but Erik Johnson would instantly become the Leafs' #1 dman and he's signed for 5 more years at a reasonable cap hit. I don't think "****ing suck" applies but that's just me.

If that trade did happen and for whatever reason the leafs could only play 1 dman for a minute to win, it's Rielly..

Johnson becomes their number 2, but it's not like he's jumping ahead of much.

I would like for Toronto to trade Nylander for Johnson.

Also, aside from Larsson, the rest of those dmen are all ahead of Johnson.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
We're not sure yet exactly how important age, handedness, cap hit, contract length and advanced stats will be when Dubas is targetting one of these guys. He has no track record yet, so it's a bit of a guessing game.
Nylander is like top 3 in advanced stats on the leafs , DUBAS loves him i know this for a fact i have mutual friends of him being from sault ste marie , and going to the same high school as him. I know hes super high on Nylander so I'm 100% sure he won't be traded

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
I love when the creator of a topics like this says: im ready to add to Player X but dont want lesser pieces back.
If I have a D-man to trade and the value is not Nylander straight up, I want a better player then Nylander, not more pieces.
Signed: 30 NHL teams.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Easy no thx from the Jets regarding Trouba. Trouba just stated how he wants to sign long term with the Jets, a young top pairing D is far more important then a winger. Pass

Reactions: Snowman

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
IF Dubas decides that trading Nylander for a high end defenseman is best for the Leafs long term, who could Toronto possibly get and who would realistically be available? Ideally it's somebody who could partner well with Morgan Rielly.

CRITERIA
- top 4 D
- real #1/2 potential
- must be under 30
- must skate reasonably well
- must have okay advanced stats
- must have (some) shutdown ability

Leafs are looking for a VERY good player here, or there's no reason at all to trade Nylander. Deal might be straight up or with Toronto adding, but no packages of lesser pieces in exchange for Nylander.

NOT INTERESTED
- Yandle (age, shutdown)
- Weber (age, speed)
- Karlsson (salary cap, 2019 UFA)
- McDonagh (without extension)
- Letang (doesn't use his brain)
- Barrie (shutdown, upside)
- Ellis (shutdown, upside)
- Myers (upside, 2019 UFA)
- Ekman-Larsson (2019 UFA)
- Brodie (has been regressing)
- Doughty (without extension)

(MAYBE) HAVE INTEREST
- Ristolainen
- Ekblad
- E Johnson
- Subban
- Trouba
- Lindholm
- Fowler
- Hamilton
- Larsson
- Burns

Some names of players I feel are (A) just not quite "high end" enough to part with Nylander OR (B) have completely developed and might be worth less than Nylander's high end potential...

Carlo, Ceci, Faulk, Severson, Hamonic, Gudas, Maatta, Niskanen, Brodin, Dumba, Klefbom, Tanev
Why no Hanifin?

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Why no Hanifin?
He's not in the same class as those other players IMO. Also, he's a not a RHD and would need to be an upgrade on Rielly for that to make sense.
Whereas there would have to be a nice add to Nylander to get most of those players, it would take a very nice piece added to Hanifin to proposal a deal for Nylander.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
There has got to be a better way to fill that hole.

Tank and draft the guy in the top 10? But it appears the Leafs tanking days are behind them. It won't be easy to get that piece on D that you need. Nylander appears to be a good piece to use but you have to give to get. Target a young defenseman. I think Hanifin fits but the Leafs need a RD right? Find a comparable. Someone who has not reached their ceiling yet and plays on a team that has depth on D. There are not many

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You can circle back to Weber at some point if you want. Yeah, I know he is age 33 next year. But Like I said before. If not Weber, who? That's the issue. Teams are not lining up to help the Leafs address their needs. I saw someone say Hamilton from the Flames. That's sounds like a solid 1/1 flip for Nylander but he is 3 years away from UFA. Is that the guy you want? Are the Flames interested in a 1/1 swap?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->