Value of: Nylander (TOR) for a Dman

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
I love the fact that the OP wouldn't trade Nylander for Karlsson. Tells you just how seriously to take his opinion.

I wouldn't either. Karlsson has one year left and will get 10 plus million. He's also 27 and has some injury issues. I am keeping Nylander. Now if ottawa wanted a package of futures I am all for one year of Karlsson to get us a cup. I am not trading any of the big three period.

Reactions: DriveFor9th

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
I wouldn't either. Karlsson has one year left and will get 10 plus million. He's also 27 and has some injury issues. I am keeping Nylander. Now if ottawa wanted a package of futures I am all for one year of Karlsson to get us a cup. I am not trading any of the big three period.
Nylander on his very best day is much worse then Karlsson on his very worst day, both playwisr and pointwise and Karlsson is a Dman. Nylander is tissue paper soft in the playoffs while Karlsson is a PPG beast. Karlsson is worth 5 Nylanders. You guys will never make it past the first round with that team of soft marshmallows.

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
William Nylander, a sophomore who is younger than Heinen, didn't stop trying to make plays, he plays that way all year round. There is no terror there, that is literally the way that he plays in the NHL. That's the point that I'm making here. The kid had 4 points, he was not neutralized and if we're talking about playing against one of the best defences in the league (which I think you're pretty proud of) that hardly constitutes as easy. He was literally playing against your top pairing and line for most of the series. I'd have loved to have seen Matthews and Nylander tear Chara and Bergeron a new one, but to the surprise of nobody, the strong defense of the Bruins helped "neutralize" their production. I have a problem when on one hand the Bruins are an elite defensive team and on the other Nylander is a scrub who put up only 4 points and looked like a chicken.

Nikita Kucherov is almost a PPG player in the playoffs and had 17 points in 17 games this year. He had two of those against the Bruins.

Nylander has had 8 points in 13 playoff games before he turned 22. His value has not changed one bit because he didn't go to the net against the Bruins. His upside is as a 70+ point capable centre, that is why he has the value of a very good defenseman. If the Leafs can't get that, they won't trade him. I very much do not want them to trade him.
Stop. Everyone saw him in the playoffs when the hitting started he wilted and played so soft it was pathetic. He was one of the main reasons they lost along with Matthews. His coach even benched him due to how scared and soft he played. We all watched the playoffs bud no need to lie about how he did.

Reactions: pmwlker

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Nylander on his very best day is much worse then Karlsson on his very worst day, both playwisr and pointwise and Karlsson is a Dman. Nylander is tissue paper soft in the playoffs while Karlsson is a PPG beast. Karlsson is worth 5 Nylanders. You guys will never make it past the first round with that team of soft marshmallows.
What was Karlsson doing in his first 2 seasons in the NHL?

Reactions: DriveFor9th

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Maybe if you read the whole exchange, you would have avoided writing an incredibly silly question.

I have been REPLYING to inputs from LEAFS fans.
I can't help it if saying that Nylander & his fear of physical play hurts his trade value triggers the usual suspects who then try some very weak chirp about the Bruins vs the Leafs.

So ask this question you asked me to your fellow Leafs fans, come off sounding smart this time = profit.

You posted something inflammatory about nylander which was also not accurate and got a reaction. Go figure.

As for the comment about usual suspects lol. I rarely even post here.

Doyoulikeapples*

We stole Tavares
Feb 5, 2018
Leafs will only move nylander for a top d man. Haven’t read the thread but I assume the usual suspects (Hamilton, trouba, tanev) are offered.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
William Nylander, a sophomore who is younger than Heinen, didn't stop trying to make plays, he plays that way all year round. There is no terror there, that is literally the way that he plays in the NHL. That's the point that I'm making here. The kid had 4 points, he was not neutralized and if we're talking about playing against one of the best defences in the league (which I think you're pretty proud of) that hardly constitutes as easy. He was literally playing against your top pairing and line for most of the series. I'd have loved to have seen Matthews and Nylander tear Chara and Bergeron a new one, but to the surprise of nobody, the strong defense of the Bruins helped "neutralize" their production. I have a problem when on one hand the Bruins are an elite defensive team and on the other Nylander is a scrub who put up only 4 points and looked like a chicken.

Nikita Kucherov is almost a PPG player in the playoffs and had 17 points in 17 games this year. He had two of those against the Bruins.

Nylander has had 8 points in 13 playoff games before he turned 22. His value has not changed one bit because he didn't go to the net against the Bruins. His upside is as a 70+ point capable centre, that is why he has the value of a very good defenseman. If the Leafs can't get that, they won't trade him. I very much do not want them to trade him.

The whole problem with all this is that it was evident to everyone - most notably, Leafs fans, judging by your GDTs - that Nylander was intimidated by the Bruins defense. And this is a major question mark: can Nylander withstand the much higher physicality of the playoffs? Marner can. Nylander so far, nope. Red flag right there.
And you also keep confusing that aspect with production. Two completely different things.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Nylander for Dman? OK. But if it's just a lateral trade for playing what's the point? Improve one area but lose in another.

Nylander might be needed at centre by the Leafs, so again....what's the fascination about trading Nylander.

And the trades for players such as Tanev. and Trouba are off the boards. Those two players have just two year left till they are UFAs, Nylander at least four years.

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
You posted something inflammatory about nylander which was also not accurate and got a reaction. Go figure.

As for the comment about usual suspects lol. I rarely even post here.

Inflammatory? Ahahahah. Wow, you usual suspects really get triggered by literally everything. Ahahahah.

So, it's "not accurate" that Nylander was always playing on the perimeter and was rather fearful of physical play?
It must be true then, that even the worst memory becomes a tad sweeter as time passes. Wait another 6 months and the narrative from you boys will be that Nylander was the best player in that series. Give it yet another 6 months and Nylander would have been the best player of the 17-18 season! Am I doing better?

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
The whole problem with all this is that it was evident to everyone - most notably, Leafs fans, judging by your GDTs - that Nylander was intimidated by the Bruins defense. And this is a major question mark: can Nylander withstand the much higher physicality of the playoffs? Marner can. Nylander so far, nope. Red flag right there.
And you also keep confusing that aspect with production. Two completely different things.

GDT's? Lol, in Leafs GDT's you will find that is Auston Matthews the best player in the whole freaking league, Jake Gardiner is simultaneously a #1 and an AHL player, Nylander is the biggest chicken in the league with 80 point upside, and that the referees have compromising pictures of Mike Babcock. GDT's are populated by people like my coworker Steve (a Habs fan) who told me that the Leafs should trade Nylander, Gauthier, and their first for the Rasmus Dahlin pick. Totally a good deal, this Habs fan said. I'm not even kidding about that, it's a literal conversation I had on Thursday. I literally do not care one bit about what anyone says in any GDT.

If Nylander is producing points in his normal style of game, I really don't see why "he can't handle the playoffs". I'm sure you have plenty of reasons for why your favourite players like McAvoy (in the first round) or Hischier only had one point each in the playoffs and I bet I would agree with them. You can find a red flag if you look for it, but in a lot of cases, you're looking too hard.

Last edited:

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Inflammatory? Ahahahah. Wow, you usual suspects really get triggered by literally everything. Ahahahah.

So, it's "not accurate" that Nylander was always playing on the perimeter and was rather fearful of physical play?
It must be true then, that even the worst memory becomes a tad sweeter as time passes. Wait another 6 months and the narrative from you boys will be that Nylander was the best player in that series. Give it yet another 6 months and Nylander would have been the best player of the 17-18 season! Am I doing better?

EDIT: not worth it...

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
GDT's? Lol, in Leafs GDT's you will find that is Auston Matthews the best player in the whole freaking league, Jake Gardiner is simultaneously a #1 and an AHL player, Nylander is the biggest chicken in the league with 80 point upside, and that the referees have compromising pictures of Mike Babcock. GDT's are populated by people like my coworker Steve (a Habs fan) who told me that the Leafs should trade Nylander, Gauthier, and their first for the Rasmus Dahlin pick. Totally a good deal, this Habs fan said. I'm not even kidding about that, it's a literal conversation I had on Thursday. I literally do not care one bit about what anyone says in any GDT.

If Nylander is producing points in his normal style of game, I really don't see why "he can't handle the playoffs". I'm sure you have plenty of reasons for why your favourite players like McAvoy (in the first round) or Hischier only had one point each in the playoffs and I bet I would agree with them. You can find a red flag if you look for it, but in a lot of cases, you're looking too hard.

Wow, you know my favorite players? I am flattered, seriously.

Yeah, Leafs GDTs are pretty wild. Rather entertaining.
But the point stands: it is pretty much common consensus that Nylander in that series was avoiding physical contact at all costs. It's not a chance that Marner more than doubled Nylander's production. One willed himself through "battle", the other one steered clear of any trouble. The latter's stock was damaged by that.

Not that it pertains to this - this is about Nylander - but it's also quite known that McAvoy shouldn't have played. He had a knee brace throughout the whole playoffs and he still held his own and didn't hold back while playing with a knee that normally would have seen a player sit out.

Hischier held his own. In the games I saw he didn't look out of his depth, AT ALL. His "excuse" is that he was the youngest player in THE WHOLE LEAGUE. At his age, Matthews wasn't a 1C in the NHL's playoffs, but instead he was putting up a sad performance in the Swiss playoffs (if I remember well, his team was the #1 seed and got swept in the first round).

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

A Bruin fan obsessed with the Leafs to the point that he spends time in Leaf GDT's. Hilarious.

But the point stands: it is pretty much common consensus that Nylander ...

And thinks that his opinion = consensus. Buddy, can you spare some ego? :laugh:

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I'm sure you have plenty of reasons for why your favourite players like McAvoy (in the first round) or Hischier only had one point each in the playoffs

But it's also quite known that McAvoy shouldn't have played. He had a knee brace throughout the whole playoffs and he still held his own and didn't hold back while playing with a knee that normally would have seen a player sit out.

Hischier held his own. In the games I saw he didn't look out of his depth, AT ALL. His "excuse" is that he was the youngest player in THE WHOLE LEAGUE.

You just can't help yourself ;)

But the point stands: it is pretty much common consensus that Nylander in that series was avoiding physical contact at all costs. It's not a chance that Marner more than doubled Nylander's production. One willed himself through "battle", the other one steered clear of any trouble. The latter's stock was damaged by that.

I have nothing more to add to Nylander's case. If you're going to insist on believing these things about Nylander, I have nothing more to say, clearly you have made up your mind. I guess his summer stock on HFboards will just have to suffer.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Have any Leaf fans ever liked a proposed trade? Holy over valuing your players Batman!

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
Wow, you know my favorite players? I am flattered, seriously.

Not that it pertains to this - this is about Nylander - but it's also quite known that McAvoy shouldn't have played. He had a knee brace throughout the whole playoffs and he still held his own and didn't hold back while playing with a knee that normally would have seen a player sit out.

Hischier held his own. In the games I saw he didn't look out of his depth, AT ALL. His "excuse" is that he was the youngest player in THE WHOLE LEAGUE. At his age, Matthews wasn't a 1C in the NHL's playoffs, but instead he was putting up a sad performance in the Swiss playoffs (if I remember well, his team was the #1 seed and got swept in the first round).
Because Auston Matthews is the whole team, right? People also like to conveniently forget his playoff performance last year where he was the leafs best player and put up 4 goals in those 6 games. Back to nylander though, pretty much the whole team disappeared in that round.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I don't get the logic of defining a young player by how he did in a couple games out of the almost 200 he's played in the league. Especially not when the criticism centers around being intimidated and shut down by the most intimidating player in hockey who consistently shuts down players every year in the playoffs.

Guys who enter the league posting back to back 60+ point seasons while providing high-end transition and playmaking are valuable. Especially when they have a future as a center at a very young age.

It's around a year ago that Nylander looked very good against Washington having none of these issues, while Marner was drifting off playing without any confidence. There's no reason to ignore one series over the other. Both are young, inconsistent, and will like any other player have series where they don't get anywhere. Crosby himself had a series with zero points in four games against the very same Bruins.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Have any Leaf fans ever liked a proposed trade? Holy over valuing your players Batman!

I’ve seen a few over the years, most recently many (not all) have been good with Myers to the Leafs for 1st+.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad