[NYI/WSH] Halak for CHI's 4th in '14

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Holtby, Wey, and Grubauer were all 4th rounders. ;)

Thoughts on Kyle Quincey if he doesn't get resigned?
Meh. Kind of a "plan D" type of guy. I'd take him on a short term, cheap-ish deal if nothing better materializes and hope he can play like a top 4 defenseman. He's been rocky in recent years, but he's also been good at various points in his career.

DanTHEMan71

Feb 23, 2010
Would've been nice to see him leave the division as he seems to always give our team a hard time scoring.

MyCapsCap

Apr 19, 2014
I've only watched the Caps for four years now and could use some help. Im a die hard Football fan and understand FA and trades in the NFL but not the NHL at all.

As im actually trying to follow the off season stuff this year how does this trade work? How can you trade a FA for a pick even though the season for both teams are over? Im just really confused and could use some help. I looked at the Islanders forum and they all seem to be kinda happy about it but how is he even going to play there if hes a FA? Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I've only watched the Caps for four years now and could use some help. Im a die hard Football fan and understand FA and trades in the NFL but not the NHL at all.

As im actually trying to follow the off season stuff this year how does this trade work? How can you trade a FA for a pick even though the season for both teams are over? Im just really confused and could use some help. I looked at the Islanders forum and they all seem to be kinda happy about it but how is he even going to play there if hes a FA? Thanks for the help!

The principle of this trade is that the Islanders are giving up a 4th round pick (worth substantially less in the NHL than they are in the NFL, given you're drafting 18 year olds instead of 21+ year olds) in exchange for Halak's negotiating rights. Teams cannot negotiate with Unrestricted Free Agents signed with other teams until July 1st, and offiically sign them until July 5th. Since Halak is now an Islander, the Islanders can begin negotiating a contract with him before he can discuss a contract with other teams.

In terms of the trade deadline, you can actually make trades after the deadline, but any players acquired would not be eligible to play in the playoffs. Thus it doesn't really happen aside of deals like this (negotiating rights) until the days leading up to the draft.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

He is still under contract until July 1, at that point he becomes a UFA. Until that point, the Islanders are now the only team who can discuss contract terms with him. They basically gave a 4th to give themselves a better chance at signing him. They have a period where they can negotiate with him without other teams competing.

Edit: ^^ he said it better

Serial_Derecho

Apr 11, 2006
Charles Town, WV
All player contracts run up through June 30. Even though Halak was a pending UFA, he technically is still on a contract. Until June 30, he can negotiate only with the team he is employed by. What the Caps did here is basically say "If any team wants the right to negotiate a new contract with Halak, we'll give him to you for a draft pick" So in essence, they are trading his negotiating rights to NYI, since the Caps themselves, had no interest in negotiating a new contract with him.

Edit: what the two above me said :)

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
teams hold the rights til july 1. so, trading his rights allows the acquiring team exclusive negotiating rights. sometimes permission to speak with the player agent is given so that the trading team knows they have a good chance to sign the player ahead of the trade

MyCapsCap

Apr 19, 2014
Thanks guys. My mind was blow when I opened up the forum to see we traded someone I thought wasn't even part of the team anymore. I had no idea players contracts ran until a date and could be traded even after they played their last games. Good stuff.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
It gives 2000 as his first year working there, so I don't think that's been updated for like 7 years, meaning his been an assistant GM for more like 8.
Five according to EliteProspects. They didn't count his three years scouting as being part of the front office. Three years as a scout, five as Dir of Player Personnel only and the last five as Dir of Player Personnel & AGM.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Would've been nice to see him leave the division as he seems to always give our team a hard time scoring.

He started for the Blues in their lone visit to the Verizon Center this season and was pulled by Hitchcock after letting in 3 goals against the Caps. I'll always view the Canadiens series as an aberration.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Hitchhiker: No! No, no, not 6! I said 7. Nobody's comin' up with 6. Who works out in 6 minutes? You won't even get your heart goin, not even a mouse on a wheel.

Ted: That - good point.

Hitchhiker: 7's the key number here. Think about it. 7-Elevens. 7 dwarves. 7, man, that's the number. 7 chipmunks twirlin' on a branch, eatin' lots of sunflowers on my uncle's ranch. You know that old children's tale from the sea. It's like you're dreamin' about Gorgonzola cheese when it's clearly Brie time, baby. Step into my office.

Love that friggen movie...

ryan519*

but if he doesnt sign there dont we lose the pick? because its a very real possibility that he might not

malyk

Apr 15, 2007
The City by the Bay
but if he doesnt sign there dont we lose the pick? because its a very real possibility that he might not

[strike]Yes. Looks like the Isles feel that's a risk worth taking.[/strike]

EDIT: Actually, I read that wrong. Not unless it's a conditional pick, which it hasn't been reported to be and I doubt it is. The Caps get the 4th round pick regardless of what halak chooses to do. The Isles would have traded the pick for nothing in that case.

jsykes

Dec 29, 2009
NoVa
I dont believe we will lose the pick unless it was negotiated as conditional. They didnt say that.

In this case, the Isles lose the pick regardless of whether they sign him or not.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011

The title of the thread on the main boards is the only place where I've seen it called a conditional pick. It looks like it's our no matter what.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
The 4th rounder is nice, but honestly my favorite part about this move is that is prevents the new GM from deciding he loves Halak and overspending to keep him, and makes it difficult to trade Holtby. I didn't really anticipate Halak returning or Holtby being traded, but it's nice to have some security that it won't happen.

Liberati0n*

The 4th rounder is nice, but honestly my favorite part about this move is that is prevents the new GM from deciding he loves Halak and overspending to keep him, and makes it difficult to trade Holtby. I didn't really anticipate Halak returning or Holtby being traded, but it's nice to have some security that it won't happen.

Yeah. Insurance against the new guy being an epic moron.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
I just don't like how they didn't give the new GM the option of which goalie to pick.

Liberati0n*

I just don't like how they didn't give the new GM the option of which goalie to pick.

If they're going to hire a guy who would think there was even a choice to be made, they're totally ****ed anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad