[NYI/WSH] Halak for CHI's 4th in '14

Halpysback*

If they're going to hire a guy who would think there was even a choice to be made, they're totally ****ed anyway.

Keep the better goalie while getting a 1st worth of value instead of a 4th... would have been tragic

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
the caps didn't trade a pending ufa that was interested in staying in Washington.
the caps didn't trade right now a player who's rights weren't a time sensitive issue.

I think someone official has said that the caps don't expect to have a new gm til after the draft.

So....

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
It's not the city that they hate... it's the regime.

With no one in either job, what's to hate?

The reality: we discussed this on the old ESPN board years ago. I did a study of our picks over the course of the 1990's... in pure numbers, it's a statistical rarity for any pick later than the 2nd round to make it as a regular player in the NHL. Even CStanton had to admit it.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
Yeah, really. Not understanding how Holtby is better without even a second thought. That's just stupid.

Holtby is good for 3/4th's of the game... then he lapses, and look out below.

You overlook another factor: even if the new GM decides that Holts is his man, we still need a vet backup. Halak is the best option, in that he's already on the team.

ryan519*

so then your backup is getting paid more than your starter? besides halak doesnt want to be a backup he'd demand a trade

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
so then your backup is getting paid more than your starter? besides halak doesnt want to be a backup he'd demand a trade

Jagr was paid more than Bondra, before he'd played a single game.

Players with years in the league are expected to be paid more.

And this is all beside the point: 4th rounder's rarely make it in the NHL, and we'd need a vet backup in any event.

Not a good move.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006

Forgot to address this:

Isn't this an opportunity for the new GM? Or, should I say, it was.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
the caps didn't trade a pending ufa that was interested in staying in Washington.
the caps didn't trade right now a player who's rights weren't a time sensitive issue.

I think someone official has said that the caps don't expect to have a new gm til after the draft.

So....

Patrick said they might not have a new GM til after the draft, not that he expects it to happen.

Holtby is good for 3/4th's of the game... then he lapses, and look out below.

You overlook another factor: even if the new GM decides that Holts is his man, we still need a vet backup. Halak is the best option, in that he's already on the team.

You want a 4M a year backup? Because that's what he'll be getting. Don't see why he'd want to sign here anyway, since there are teams like the Islanders who'll give him the same contract and make him a starter.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
You want a 4M a year backup? Because that's what he'll be getting. Don't see why he'd want to sign here anyway, since there are teams like the Islanders who'll give him the same contract and make him a starter.

That is, speculation.

Either way, why are we in a hurry to make a move that the law of averages demonstrates that more than likely, will not work?

Maybe, a new GM convinces him to take less?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Halak as a back-up is just stupid when you could sign Nabokov, Greiss, Stalock, Vokoun, Montoya, Gustavsson, or Bryzgalov for less than a third of what Halak would command. We just need a back-up, not a 1B. Grubauer serves as the insurance policy for a long-term injury to Holtby.

Holtby is a starting caliber goaltender for $1.85M. Why on earth would we take a $4M+ lesser goaltender instead? A 4th is a solid return for UFA rights, better than what Wideman fetched.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
That is, speculation.

Either way, why are we in a hurry to make a move that the law of averages demonstrates that more than likely, will not work?

Maybe, a new GM convinces him to take less?

He's the second best goalie available in a horrible free agent crop. There are two, maybe three legitimate starters and more teams than that that need starters. You're asking for a miracle if you think anyone could convince Halak to take less than he could make elsewhere with the assurance of less playing time. As far as why we'd do this now, the earlier you make this sort of deal, the more time the other team has to get a deal done, and the higher the pick they'll offer for the player's rights. When we traded Wideman's rights, we only ended up with a conditional 5th because it was 4 days before the contract expired.

I really don't understand why the people who hate Holtby would rather have had Halak. What is it you guys fear about Holtby? Is it that after some early success and a sterling playoff performance, he'll fail to find consistency and will always be the guys who gives up softies and has streaks of bad play? Because guess what: that's Halak. That's why he never succeeded in St. Louis, and why they were willing to pay a high price for a rental to replace him.

Last edited:

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
He's the second best goalie available in a horrible free agent crop. There are two, maybe three legitimate starters and more teams than that that need starters. You're asking for a miracle if you think anyone could convince Halak to take less than he could make elsewhere with the assurance of less playing time. As far as why we'd do this now, the earlier you make this sort of deal, the more time the other team has to get a deal done, and the higher the pick they'll offer for the player's rights. When we traded Wideman's rights, we only ended up with a conditional 5th because it was 4 days before the contract expired.

The point you miss is that this move did not need to be made right now. It's a safety valve move, that the new GM could easily make at any time in the next couple of months.

But the new GM will never get a chance now, will he?

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
The point you miss is that this move did not need to be made right now. It's a safety valve move, that the new GM could easily make at any time in the next couple of months.

Did you read the second part of that paragraph, where I explained that the longer we wait, the lower the pick we get in return? If they really wait until after the draft for a new GM, at that point they're probably looking at a conditional 5th or 6th instead of a guaranteed 4th.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
Did you read the second part of that paragraph, where I explained that the longer we wait, the lower the pick we get in return? If they really wait until after the draft for a new GM, at that point they're probably looking at a conditional 5th or 6th instead of a guaranteed 4th.

I saw that... but your first part contradicted it. If he's the 2nd best available, his stock goes up, not down.

Look, this is my opinion, it doesn't mean you're not correct. We'll agree to disagree.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
It gives 2000 as his first year working there, so I don't think that's been updated for like 7 years, meaning his been an assistant GM for more like 8.

Heh, new math or different math, and his relationship with McPhee extends back even further. I assumed he'd end up following McPhee wherever he lands.

For a few years I tracked the scouting staff on a post on here, but I haven't updated it since 2007 or so, lol.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=440729

As to Halak, a pick for a player who was not returning, not a big deal, better than nothing.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
It's not the city that they hate... it's the regime.

With no one in either job, what's to hate?.

you have to use some basic logic in trying to read these things. the caps traded rissling because either they didn't want to sign him or he wasn't going to sign.

in this case, the same basic options are there. as the caps don't have a gm to decide to sign him, you would have to guess that halak has already decided that he is not going to stay. period. so the caps got a roll of the dice for him.

its not required but its often the case when rights are traded that a contract is already likely agreed to with the acquiring team.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

you are assuming facts that are not in evidence. because there is not a gm in place, I would have to guess that it was time sensitive or else they would have waited.

you can either believe that that this was just mindless and truly rudderless stupidity or that the move was made for logical reasons that forced it.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
you have to use some basic logic in trying to read these things. the caps traded rissling because either they didn't want to sign him or he wasn't going to sign.

in this case, the same basic options are there. as the caps don't have a gm to decide to sign him, you would have to guess that halak has already decided that he is not going to stay. period. so the caps got a roll of the dice for him.

its not required but its often the case when rights are traded that a contract is already likely agreed to with the acquiring team.

You claim we don't need a GM, yet you need basic logic?????

Seems like a 180, to me.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
you are assuming facts that are not in evidence. because there is not a gm in place, I would have to guess that it was time sensitive or else they would have waited.

you can either believe that that this was just mindless and truly rudderless stupidity or that the move was made for logical reasons that forced it.

Read it again. My post is in response, hence the OP needs to provide the proof.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad