[NYI/WSH] Halak for CHI's 4th in '14

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Are people really getting worked up about Jaroslav Halak?

The goalie that either didn't have the balls to play his old team or didn't have the balls to stand up to his coach and call him out on his ********?

yes.....getting off season, no gm, reps in on negativity. have to stay sharp. :nod:

PucktotheHead

Jan 11, 2014
Virginia
They should have never traded for Halak to begin with. The team needs Dmen not goalies. I'm happy with a 4th for a guy that most likely wasn't going to resign here anyway. See ya!

People will cry about anything. Lavi comes here some people will cry. Trotz comes other people will cry.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Going into next season Ill be fine rolling with the cheap goalies we have now and not spending cap space on the vet back up unless its for the league min. I think the majority of cap space should be used to fix the D. The forwards for the most part could go into the season as is. As much as i would like to see Brooks, Mojo, and maybe Brouwer replaced. I could see them being our 2nd line again.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Holtby got a whole lot better as soon as Oates was fired.

New GM needs to bring back the likes of Dave Prior and Jim Johnson both would be assets to our goaltending.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
the Caps can get a veteran back up for near the league minimum. $1m or so. Let Grubauer play as the starter in Hershey and as the fill in starter should Holtby be injured.

Get a back up to play the back to backs. and some travel games. give Holtby all the home games when healthy and Grubs all the rest when he is not.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
If Halak wasn't man enough to stand up to the coach to the point signing him is out of the question, maybe Kolzig needs to go as well since he signed off what had to be one of the most bizarre coaching decisions I have ever caught wind of.

I bet behind closed doors Olaf told Holts yeah he is a quack but give it a try, but in the end, I want the G coach being just that, not a mouthpiece.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
If Halak wasn't man enough to stand up to the coach to the point signing him is out of the question, maybe Kolzig needs to go as well since he signed off what had to be one of the most bizarre coaching decisions I have ever caught wind of.

I bet behind closed doors Olaf told Holts yeah he is a quack but give it a try, but in the end, I want the G coach being just that, not a mouthpiece.

I gotta take Olie's side on this one. Oates sets the direction of the coaching staff. We don't know how much "loyal opposition" was expressed in response to the changes but ultimately there is a chain of command that wins in the end. And with what we know now about Oates micromanaging clear down to handedness in Hershey and clear up to his own boss, Olie never had a chance.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I gotta take Olie's side on this one. .

I thought the same at first. But then in the end, I take Holtby's side. Maybe Kolzig fought tooth and nail for sanity. Maybe he didn't. Maybe he said he did to Braden but secretly bought in. Who the hell knows what happened in this very odd situation.

I wonder how much he is here because of his name. We don't need him one way or the other.

I prefer all Oates assistants gone in case he rubbed off on them. Nothing against Olaf who I understand was just trying to find his footing in a tough spot.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
kolzig believed entirely and trusted prior's teaching. prior knew that and brought kolzig in to learn the job so he could retire. kolzig coached prior's program to the caps non-nhl goaltenders and the play of grubauer would indicate that kolzig was showing some ability there.

knowing these things I certainly can sign right up to the idea that kolzig threw all of that in the trash and secretly signed on to that adam oates knows more about goaltending than dave prior and olaf kolzig. yup. that makes perfect sense.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I think this was a fair deal for both teams. Caps get something for a player they had cooled on extending.

The isles with extra picks, get a couple of months to sell Halak on the isles young potential and Brooklyn move.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
You are also not going to pay Halak twice as much as Holtby to be a backup, so if you're keeping him you have to deal with the loyalty issues and make him a starter because he isn't taking less money than Holtby.

That's all ********. In the NHL everyone knows you're only the starter as long as you win, regardless of your salary. No one "has to" be the starter anywhere. Guys with big contracts might get a longer leash (Lundy at the beginning of this season) but it's pretty egalitarian. Hell, just his past season the presumed starter for the Caps was making less than the presumed backup.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
That's all ********. In the NHL everyone knows you're only the starter as long as you win, regardless of your salary. No one "has to" be the starter anywhere. Guys with big contracts might get a longer leash (Lundy at the beginning of this season) but it's pretty egalitarian. Hell, just his past season the presumed starter for the Caps was making less than the presumed backup.

It has little to do with merit or entitlement. It's cap economics. You don't pay 2-3 times as much as your current starter for a goalie you don't need.

So no, not ********.

OldHat

Jul 15, 2013
Under A Mountain
Caps evidently feel that the 2014 4th round is essential for the team.

Acquire 2014 4th round pick from Anaheim for Perreault.
Trade the Anaheim 4th round pick back to Anaheim for Penner (Anaheim I believe then traded that pick to Dallas for Robidas)
Now pick up a 4th round pick from the Islanders (formerly Chicago's) via Halak trade.

Guess it's too much to wish for to see if Erskine might fetch a 4th rounder.

Phase 1: Collect 4th round picks.
Phase 2: ???
Phase 3: Stanley Cup

I gotta take Olie's side on this one. Oates sets the direction of the coaching staff. We don't know how much "loyal opposition" was expressed in response to the changes but ultimately there is a chain of command that wins in the end. And with what we know now about Oates micromanaging clear down to handedness in Hershey and clear up to his own boss, Olie never had a chance.

Prior at least had the courage of his convictions to tell Oates to **** off and walk away. Olie should have followed his lead. How can he as a goaltender listen to Oates about how a goalie should play? That's why there is a goalie coach!

**** Adam Oates.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
That's easier said that done. Kolzig isn't an established goalie coach like Dave Prior. He's only been in the coaching ranks a couple years, and never as the primary goalie coach. He doesn't have the credibility of Prior. If Kolzig walked or was fired, he'd likely be done as a coach. Prior can still go find another job.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Prior at least had the courage of his convictions to tell Oates to **** off and walk away. Olie should have followed his lead. How can he as a goaltender listen to Oates about how a goalie should play? That's why there is a goalie coach!.

when was the last time you quit a good job when quitting would mean moving over a philosophical difference with your boss?

takes some balls to sit on the computer and tell a guy with a family to quit his job.
you forget that prior was preparing to retire. the reason they brought kolzig in to understudy with him.

one more thing. kolzig would seem also to have a responsibility to the goaltender. meaning that the goaltender is going to either attempt to play how the head coach wants him to play or like the goalie coach, tell him no and get benched. so kolzig stays and helps holtby. if kolzig is fired, who is the next goalie coach going to be?
Scott Murray? Brett Leanhardt?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
If Kolzig wasn't ready last year, what makes us think he is ready this year?

He may well be worse after all that transpired under his watch, his fault or not. If no where else, but in the eyes of Grubs and Holts who may resent all that happened under his watch.

I think its safe to say George's comments about tender play costing us x points were aimed directly at Oates.

Edit. Did he learn to stand up for what is right, or is he still a few years away from daring to try that?

Last edited:

OldHat

Jul 15, 2013
Under A Mountain
That's easier said that done. Kolzig isn't an established goalie coach like Dave Prior. He's only been in the coaching ranks a couple years, and never as the primary goalie coach. He doesn't have the credibility of Prior. If Kolzig walked or was fired, he'd likely be done as a coach. Prior can still go find another job.

He can? Maybe. Who said Olie had the qualifications to be a coach in the first place. He has a job because he was a Cap.

when was the last time you quit a good job when quitting would mean moving over a philosophical difference with your boss?

takes some balls to sit on the computer and tell a guy with a family to quit his job.
you forget that prior was preparing to retire. the reason they brought kolzig in to understudy with him.

one more thing. kolzig would seem also to have a responsibility to the goaltender. meaning that the goaltender is going to either attempt to play how the head coach wants him to play or like the goalie coach, tell him no and get benched. so kolzig stays and helps holtby. if kolzig is fired, who is the next goalie coach going to be?
Scott Murray? Brett Leanhardt?

C'mon man. Olie needs this job to support this family? :laugh: Obviously Kolzig didn't learn enough from Prior because he comprimised good coaching to fall in line.

You are right. Olie has a responsibility to the goaltender - that means helping said goalie to play at his optimum level - not placating some micro-managing OCD coach who thinks because he notched a lot of assists he knows how to mind the net.

He may well be worse after all that transpired under his watch, his fault or not. If no where else, but in the eyes of Grubs and Holts who may resent all that happened under his watch.

I think its safe to say George's comments about tender play costing us x points were aimed directly at Oates.

Edit. Did he learn to stand up for what is right, or he is still a few years away from daring to try that?

Absolutley! :handclap:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Edit. Did he learn to stand up for what is right, or is he still a few years away from daring to try that?

Grubs seemed to play well enough. So did Holtby until he crapped the bed mentally. If Kolzig was simply following orders, no reason to do anything but leave it up to the next regime to decide his fate.

As for McPhee's comments, clearly directed at the players. Holtby responded as such...

“I think if we pay any attention to comments like that I think it brings the team apart,†Capitals goaltender Braden Holtby said after practice on Monday. “We have to go out there and play on the ice. We can’t focus on that other stuff.

“We’re all trying to accomplish the same goal of winning games and we don’t want to be separated by things like that. In one ear, out the other and we’ll focus on the next game.â€

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
He can? Maybe. Who said Olie had the qualifications to be a coach in the first place. He has a job because he was a Cap.

C'mon man. Olie needs this job to support this family? :laugh: Obviously Kolzig didn't learn enough from Prior because he comprimised good coaching to fall in line.

You are right. Olie has a responsibility to the goaltender - that means helping said goalie to play at his optimum level - not placating some micro-managing OCD coach

so I read you right. you are saying that kolzig should have quit/gotten fired as prior did. right?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

If Prior wants another goalie coaching job, he could absolutely find one. He's an excellent goalie coach, and has proven that over the course of his career, not only with the Capitals. He's made a career of it.

As for whether or not Olie is qualified, that's not my point. I wasn't arguing that he was. I was arguing that he's attempting to become a professional goalie coach, but doesn't yet have the resume to be comfortable in securing a job elsewhere. That's exactly why he can't get himself fired or quit. It's easy for you to say he should have stood up for Oates, but it's not your career that you ruin by saying that.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
As for McPhee's comments, clearly directed at the players. Holtby responded as such...

Knowing that we know that Oates was not George's choice, and that George's guy Prior quit over it coupled with the Oates method of tending, you are conclusively saying it was directed at players alone?

Holtby's quote gives no clear guidance as to what was inside a lame ducks head. George was drawing dead and he knew it. Why throw his guy Holtby under the bus?

I know you are not one but many here blame Oates for Holtby's "mental mistakes", as you call them. Not all that is asked of players by coaches can be easily achieved, especially something of this magnitude. We want you to stop playing the shot on angle, Braden.

OldHat

Jul 15, 2013
Under A Mountain
so I read you right. you are saying that kolzig should have quit/gotten fired as prior did. right?

What I am saying is that if Kolzig believed that what Oates wanted him to do was not in the best interest of Holtby then he should have stood up for what he believed was the right thing to do.

If Prior wants another goalie coaching job, he could absolutely find one. He's an excellent goalie coach, and has proven that over the course of his career, not only with the Capitals. He's made a career of it.

As for whether or not Olie is qualified, that's not my point. I wasn't arguing that he was. I was arguing that he's attempting to become a professional goalie coach, but doesn't yet have the resume to be comfortable in securing a job elsewhere. That's exactly why he can't get himself fired or quit. It's easy for you to say he should have stood up for Oates, but it's not your career that you ruin by saying that.

Yes, and Prior only came back to groom Kolzig. It was easy for him to walk away.

So the guy who is here to mentor Kolzig feels as if the HC is balls out wrong and refuses to have any part of it yet the mentee stays and tows the line.

Saying it would ruin his career is hyperbole. If Kolzig really wants to coach then being fired or quitting over philosophical differences is more of a positive than a negative, especially considering the hindsight of Oates' stint in DC. I suppose it depends if you want a guy who has strong principles and ideas about how things are done or a simply a 'yes man'.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
If Kolzig survives I would like to hear he fought Oates tooth and nail all year long. If it's true I'd think a Ketie can get him to talk. As Oldfan said, I think its a positive to stand up for what is right, regardless of the end result. There is nothing to hide at this point since Oates is gone and his vision to reinvent goaltending failed. The vision turned out to be allow 2 goals to make a save.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Yes, and Prior only came back to groom Kolzig. It was easy for him to walk away.

So the guy who is here to mentor Kolzig feels as if the HC is balls out wrong and refuses to have any part of it yet the mentee stays and tows the line.

Saying it would ruin his career is hyperbole. If Kolzig really wants to coach then being fired or quitting over philosophical differences is more of a positive than a negative, especially considering the hindsight of Oates' stint in DC. I suppose it depends if you want a guy who has strong principles and ideas about how things are done or a simply a 'yes man'.

Of course I, as a fan, do not want a "yes man." But it's not my job on the line, so I can understand why he caved on the issue. That's all I'm saying. It's easy for you to criticize, but it's not your paycheck and it's not your passion on the line. Have you quit every job you've had when you disagreed with your boss?

Whether or not you feel it would be a positive to disagree with Oates, do you really anticipate that Kolzig would have been given another chance to be an NHL goalie coach?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad