Confirmed Signing with Link: [NSH] Predators sign Mike Fisher (1 year, $1 million)

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
That is odd. So during an expansion year you can have guys retire to reduce your roster and then come back with no consequences? Doesn't seem right.
he didn't retire because of the ed. his contract was up and he felt like it was best for him to retire. its not like management told him to retire to get around the ed.

Reactions: GJB

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Bonino has been pretty invisible so far this year. He is a good shot blocker and breaks up a decent amount of passes with his hockey IQ but he has brought very little to things offensively. He definitely isn't the 2C he was signed to be.
...and I for one am shocked, shocked that this is the case.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
he didn't retire because of the ed. his contract was up and he felt like it was best for him to retire. its not like management told him to retire to get around the ed.
He wasn't going to be taken in the ED either because Poile wanted Jarnkrok protected over Neal

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I know he's older and yada yada, but he's spent about as much time off the ice as Ryan Ellis has. He's been fine.
I just told someone the same thing. Yeah he hasn't played but he hasn't been physically limited. He's probably in better hockey shape right now than Ellis was when his time table for return started to form. It's not like he sucked last year. We were as concerned about losing a capable center as anything else when he retired.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Well, that's a surprise, but I was kind of surprised to see him retire last year anyway.
I thought Fisher was doing a big mistake not trying to tag along on a team which needed C corps and looked like a lock for a long postseason, he still was a great 3rd liner

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
False.
The expansion draft was June 21st, he still would've been under contract. Similar to Chris Thorburn for the Jets at the time.
i doubt vegas would have given him any thought as fisher is a respected guy with a baby to tend to that would play nowhere other than nashville. his retirement was legit and was reported he was dealing with depression being away from the game. he for all purposes was a UFA. but please hijack a thread and make it into something it's not.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
That is odd. So during an expansion year you can have guys retire to reduce your roster and then come back with no consequences? Doesn't seem right.

Fisher was never going to sign with LV anyway, so it wouldn't have mattered if they'd picked him.

LOUPREDSFAN

Oct 12, 2017
Louisville, KY
False.
The expansion draft was June 21st, he still would've been under contract. Similar to Chris Thorburn for the Jets at the time.
He was available to be selected in expansion but wasn’t because he was as a pending UFA. Which means at the time of the draft Vegas would not b take him because he would have to sign with him. Therefore he was a UFA. He didn’t retire prior to draft. Once the seasons over your a UFA, you can’t be signed by anyone but your previous time until July 1st

Chewmasey

Jan 28, 2013
Winnipeg
i doubt vegas would have given him any thought as fisher is a respected guy with a baby to tend to that would play nowhere other than nashville. his retirement was legit and was reported he was dealing with depression being away from the game. he for all purposes was a UFA. but please hijack a thread and make it into something it's not.
I didn't say I had a problem with it, I was just saying what was stated was false.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Bonino has been pretty invisible so far this year. He is a good shot blocker and breaks up a decent amount of passes with his hockey IQ but he has brought very little to things offensively. He definitely isn't the 2C he was signed to be.

He's actually on (more or less) the same ES pace he's been on for the past few years. The difference is that in Pittsburgh, he was getting 2 minutes on the PP every game and in Nashville it's 30 seconds.

As for his "offensive" game... that was all Kessel. Bonino is a smart player, but he can't create offense on his own. He'll get you 30 or so ES points - but that's something many 3Cs can do. He might get you a little more then that if you're going to play him with a high end winger and everything clicks... but with RyJo and Turris there, odds are that's not happening. So what you end up with is an average 3C who shot blocks and PKs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad