Post-Game Talk: Now thats a complete effort. Leafs win 4-0

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Hyman needs to be on the right permanently. It turns him into a factor in transition and off the rush, he just doesn't have the skill to play on his backhand

Last edited:
Reactions: weems

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
1st. goal - 21 year old
2nd. goal - 21 year old
3rd. goal - 27 year old
4th. goal - 23 year old rookie

Leafs relied on their vets to get it done. ;)

I love your posts but they are the 21st oldest team in the league.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Without Price, Weber and Patches that Habs team is a glorified AHL team and played like it yesterday as Leafs dominated even without Matthews and Andersen.

Speaks to the depth of the teams. Both without their top goalies, forwards (Habs without a top defenseman, but Zaitsev and Komarov out too on Leafs end) and yet the Leafs still dominated them.

Reactions: Lauro

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
1st. goal - 21 year old
2nd. goal - 21 year old
3rd. goal - 27 year old
4th. goal - 23 year old rookie

Leafs relied on their vets to get it done. ;)

It's an ELC and RFA league now pretty much. RFA players are starting to make more than UFA and so we are now buying on potential like the NBA.

May actually come to a point where teams will start being made from the market. Could be a lot of trades in the future because of this.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
It's an ELC and RFA league now pretty much. RFA players are starting to make more than UFA and so we are now buying on potential like the NBA.

May actually come to a point where teams will start being made from the market. Could be a lot of trades in the future because of this.

VGK is made from depth players and cast-offs.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Johnsson -- Nylander -- Hyman might be a line thought for next year as they looked good yesterday during this trial balloon.

I'd think they'd be at least as effective a 5v5 sheltered 3rd line as JvR-Bozak-Brown have been this year.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Without Price, Weber and Patches that Habs team is a glorified AHL team and played like it yesterday as Leafs dominated even without Matthews and Andersen.

The offensive effort from MTL consisted of a forward trying a jam play from behind the net.

I don't miss those days when TOR's efforts were like that.

Reactions: therealkoho

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I'd think they'd be at least as effective a 5v5 sheltered 3rd line as JvR-Bozak-Brown have been this year.

That would be the case with Matthews and Kadri as #1 and #2 C and JVR and Bozak leaving forcing a new 3rd line with Willie moving to the middle.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I think this stretch has really put Willie back on track of becoming a center for us. I never doubted that personally, but there was some ambiguity in Babcock's comments on the topic before. There's been a shift there, and you can see it on the ice too. Not perhaps to the degree that they will put him at center down the stretch now or maybe even next year, but enough that the expectation is that he'll have that position long-term.

Personally, I'd put him at center next year.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I think this stretch has really put Willie back on track of becoming a center for us. I never doubted that personally, but there was some ambiguity in Babcock's comments on the topic before. There's been a shift there, and you can see it on the ice too. Not perhaps to the degree that they will put him at center down the stretch now or maybe even next year, but enough that the expectation is that he'll have that position long-term.

Unless they pick up a center at the craft show in July, I think Nylander will be a center next year.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Unless we sign Tavares? If that doesn't happen then I imagine Willie might play centre for us as after Matthews and Kadri our depth chart is full of question marks.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Unless we sign Tavares? If that doesn't happen then I imagine Willie might play centre for us as after Matthews and Kadri our depth chart is full of question marks.
Yeah I haven't even entertained the idea of Tavares yet. Even if he leaves and we target him, chances are rather small that we are the ones who get him. But yeah, he changes things.

Unless they pick up a center at the craft show in July, I think Nylander will be a center next year.
Yeah I think it might even depend on the center too. If it was me, I'd target someone to play #4C but with the ability to play up the lineup, just to improve our depth. That would give us 4 top nine quality centers, and we could have someone cheap as a 13th forward who can slide in as #4C. Someone like Eller, for example.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Yeah I haven't even entertained the idea of Tavares yet. Even if he leaves and we target him, chances are rather small that we are the ones who get him. But yeah, he changes things.

Yeah I think it might even depend on the center too. If it was me, I'd target someone to play #4C but with the ability to play up the lineup, just to improve our depth. That would give us 4 top nine quality centers, and we could have someone cheap as a 13th forward who can slide in as #4C. Someone like Eller, for example.

I don't see why our Tavares chances would be small. He either likes the idea of playing in his home town or he doesn't, no way to tell really. But if no Tavares then I like the idea of finding a #4C and playing Willie at centre. If that's the long term plan then may as well on with it.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I don't see why our Tavares chances would be small. He either likes the idea of playing in his home town or he doesn't, no way to tell really. But if no Tavares then I like the idea of finding a #4C and playing Willie at centre. If that's the long term plan then may as well on with it.
Well, if Tavares does leave there will be 30 other teams vying for his services. Against such a field, even the favorite faces long odds.

Yeah, as I see it we have a #1 and a #2-3 center already, and then there's Nylander. Beyond that, we have a bunch of maybes for use as a #4. We really lack depth for top nine center roles, so I think it would make sense to target a #4C who is actually more of a #3C on most teams.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Well, if Tavares does leave there will be 30 other teams vying for his services. Against such a field, even the favorite faces long odds.

Yeah, as I see it we have a #1 and a #2-3 center already, and then there's Nylander. Beyond that, we have a bunch of maybes for use as a #4. We really lack depth for top nine center roles, so I think it would make sense to target a #4C who is actually more of a #3C on most teams.

The way I see it is that we can offer Tavares something no other team can - the chance to be a big part of bringing the Stanley cup to his home town, the capital of the hockey world to fans who have been waiting for so long that if it happened, he would be almost a national hero. And we're poised to do so too, with him in the fold the chances of winning a cup are probably as good as they would be anywhere else. I think that could be a childhood dream come true for him and if it is, I think he will come here because you just can't put a price on that. Maybe a little less money but if it's 70M plus a fulfilling a childhood dream and becoming a national hero vs say 80M or 85M, the dream should win easily.

Or he might not want the attention and then he won't come here at any price. That's the way I see it anyway, we won't be involved in any "competition" because we're simply unique and he either wants to be here or he doesn't.

Last edited:

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
The way I see it is that we can offer Tavares something no other team can - the chance to be a big part of bringing the Stanley cup to his home town, the capital of the hockey world to fans who have been waiting for so long that if it happened, he would be almost a national hero. And we're poised to do so too, with him in the fold the chances of winning a cup are probably as good as they would be anywhere else. I think that could be a childhood dream come true for him and if it is, I think he will come here because you just can't put a price on that. Maybe a little less money but if it's 70M plus a fulfilling a childhood dream and becoming a national hero vs say 80M or 85M, the dream should win easily.

Or he might not want the attention and then he won't come here at any price. That's the way I see it anyway, we won't be involved in any "competition" because we're simply unique and he either wants to be here or he doesn't.

I'm probably in the minority, but I would rather have JVR and Bozak stay with team for a comparable total cap hit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad