Post-Game Talk: Now thats a complete effort. Leafs win 4-0

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I can't predict the future, but we have a ton of talent in our organization. The Marlies are the best team in the AHL

Maybe.

My question would be why we are signing vets and trading for vets if we have all this talent.

Anyways, our roster is older than 2/3 of the league. That said, as you point out, key positions are filled with youth.

I do think there is a gap coming but we can focus on that then.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Maybe.

My question would be why we are signing vets and trading for vets if we have all this talent.

Anyways, our roster is older than 2/3 of the league. That said, as you point out, key positions are filled with youth.

I do think there is a gap coming but we can focus on that then.
because right now, our best players are all too young and inexperienced for the supporting cast to be rookies as well. So the plan was to insulate them with veterans. Going forward, the supporting cast will get younger

Reactions: stickty111

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
because right now, our best players are all too young and inexperienced for the supporting cast to be rookies as well. So the plan was to insulate them with veterans. Going forward, the supporting cast will get younger

You sure the plan wasn’t to go deeper in the playoffs now? ;)

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
When talking about the big 3, has Rielly overtaken Nylander in that group?
It doesn't have to be a group of three. If Rielly has done anything, it's remind people that we have an elite talent on the back end as well.

But the whole idea of Big Three came from us having a trio of rookies of a quality level that's pretty unmatched. Any use of it now is just a reference to that group of rookies.

In terms of evaluating a core, it's definitely a group of four.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I don't see why our Tavares chances would be small. He either likes the idea of playing in his home town or he doesn't, no way to tell really. But if no Tavares then I like the idea of finding a #4C and playing Willie at centre. If that's the long term plan then may as well on with it.

I have read posts like this for years on HF. Playing for the born and raised team seems to be unimportant to almost 95% of the players in the NHL.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Really think Johnsson should stick over Komarov. he's part of a really tight knit Marlies faction on the Leafs, so it's probably great for morale. Also Leo has straight up been our weakest link up front for a while now

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
It doesn't have to be a group of three. If Rielly has done anything, it's remind people that we have an elite talent on the back end as well.

But the whole idea of Big Three came from us having a trio of rookies of a quality level that's pretty unmatched. Any use of it now is just a reference to that group of rookies.

You'd think Andersen should fit in this conversation too, no?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
You'd think Andersen should fit in this conversation too, no?
I thought about that for quite a bit, actually. I ended up with the position that the four I mentioned are almost guaranteed to stay here for the rest of their effective careers, but I'm not sure the same applies to Andersen. He's the top name in the support group rather, someone who is in all likelihood going to remain an important part of this team, but not to any price. He's still someone who they will evaluate on a year to year basis, and I don't see them considering him so invaluable that they are willing to pay any price once his contract expires. He's important, but not that rare of an asset.

did you guys know Dermott leads all NHL defensemen in 5v5 points/60? Only 29 games, but still impressive.
Yeah I noticed that. Still a small sample size, but add that to everything else impressive about him and you get a guy that is giving you every reason to believe he has a sky-high potential.

Reactions: weems

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I thought about that for quite a bit, actually. I ended up with the position that the four I mentioned are almost guaranteed to stay here for the rest of their effective careers, but I'm not sure the same applies to Andersen. He's the top name in the support group rather, someone who is in all likelihood going to remain an important part of this team, but not to any price. He's still someone who they will evaluate on a year to year basis, and I don't see them considering him so invaluable that they are willing to pay any price once his contract expires. He's important, but not that rare of an asset.

Fair enough... If this were the case, I'd probably lump Nylander in that category too... I recognize Nylander has high potential, but he hasn't taken a big step this year...

pengdeng12

Feb 13, 2018
Fair enough... If this were the case, I'd probably lump Nylander in that category too... I recognize Nylander has high potential, but he hasn't taken a big step this year...

.. it's all about the PP.

nylander has more even strength points than Marner

the difference maker is the PP

Nylander has taken a step. Last year he had 35 even strength points. This season he has 43 already

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015

To give a shout out to my Michigan Wolverines, hopefully soon it will be a FAB FIVE, with Dermott joining the group if he continues his upward trend.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Probably. Maybe. Don’t know.

Washington has 7 rookies. Boston 9 this year. 48% of active players are under 25 in the league.

Trend is for younger.

Bozak, JVR make up 2 members of the most potent power play in the league. Marleau?

We’ve got some gaps.

NHL.com - Stats

None of the Caps rookies are under 22. Looks like the majority are 23 and older, so probably developed like any good organization would. Kind of like Johnsson has been developed with the Leafs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad