North Bay Battalion 2015-16 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gr8northscout

Aug 29, 2012
Ontario
I see that Hargraves has been released by the Attack. Perhaps we could use him?

Local kid with size and a former first rounder?

Seems like just what the doctor ordered.

Hopefully that shoulder injury hasn't completely derailed his career.

Why would you want another team's cut?

Besides, he was not a legitimate 1st rounder. It was a bad draft choice by the Sting. They saw through it. Now OS has seen the light. Things usually work themselves out. And they are. As a 96, his time is done.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Well to be fair the team's not exactly setting the world on fire to start. And it's no secret Butler likes some size in his forward group. Giving a local kid a tryout wouldn't be the worst thing to do for a kid who might just be moving away from the sport.

OSMike

Conch Shell Crew
Mar 25, 2014
Owen Sound
You guys just picked Hargrave up for a 12th in 2019. I thought once we released him he was on waivers to be claimed. I guess we didn't quite release him?

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
You guys just picked Hargrave up for a 12th in 2019. I thought once we released him he was on waivers to be claimed. I guess we didn't quite release him?

A 12th four years from now? I guess that's the OHL version of a bag of pucks.

What's your opinion on him, Mike?

Greatger

May 11, 2007
Stan's picking up table crumbs IMO. He knows he needs offense. Will he get any from Hargreaves (good question), nothing to lose at this point. I'm sure he will be looking to trade Smith but will wait until the dead line to do so. We gave away a lot of good picks for Thompson & Moutrey and need some of those back. It's going to be a long season unless a major blockbuster can be made and with the defense first system there won't be many goals scored (if anyone can put the puck in the net). Not a great year to be completely rebuilding especially with this being the final year of the 3 year season ticket holder agreement. Like Bert used to say. "A team should never be rebuilding...only replenishing."

MartyHuggins

Mar 17, 2015
Stan's picking up table crumbs IMO. He knows he needs offense. Will he get any from Hargreaves (good question), nothing to lose at this point. I'm sure he will be looking to trade Smith but will wait until the dead line to do so. We gave away a lot of good picks for Thompson & Moutrey and need some of those back. It's going to be a long season unless a major blockbuster can be made and with the defense first system there won't be many goals scored (if anyone can put the puck in the net). Not a great year to be completely rebuilding especially with this being the final year of the 3 year season ticket holder agreement. Like Bert used to say. "A team should never be rebuilding...only replenishing."

..you're right nothing to loose.....something has to be better than watching Mike Baird floating around taking stupid penalties.....

OSMike

Conch Shell Crew
Mar 25, 2014
Owen Sound
A 12th four years from now? I guess that's the OHL version of a bag of pucks.

What's your opinion on him, Mike?

From the limited times I saw him play or listened/watch him play on radio/tv I didn't see him as the "power" forward that he should have been. We played a dump and chase style under Ireland and he didn't seem to want to get down low in the corners and fight for the puck, or head to the front of the net, you know the dirty areas where he should be.

I also find it odd that he seemed to have a pretty good camp but was released/traded so quickly without even seeing a regular season game. Maybe this has to do with using of cards, something I don't really understand about the junior game yet. If not maybe he didn't mesh in the dressing room, purely speculation on my part though.

With any player I hope he finds a home back home and can put up some numbers for you. I just hope he doesn't go and score 30+ goals or something :)

Last edited:

youngblood10

Jan 26, 2010
North Bay looked good last night. Fashionably speaking and also getting in the win column. Do love those Cents throw backs.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Despite the collapse at the end of the third, there were glimpses of a competitive team out there. Once Wood returns I see no reason why this team should miss the playoffs. There's enough talent on this roster to play spoiler to a number of teams in this conference.

And I also have to point out that last night was Riley Bruce's best game I've seen him play in junior. I've thrown him under the bus plenty in my time watching the Battalion, but it l think he's beginning to gain some co-ordination and with his size that could be a very good thing down the line.

Pacesetter

Sep 17, 2012
He received a hit from behind major, and the league deemed it suspendable for 4 games

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014
So the troops are up 4-1 over Missy after 2 periods today. Complete control of the game. Every fan in the rink knows what happens now in the third period. Sit back, play the 1-2-2 and let the opposition come at you wave after wave after wave....we've seen it for 3 years now. Missy outshoots us 20-3 in the period. Did we really get that bad during the intermission? Of course Butler post game calls down the team, says they are a bad team and can't play 60 minutes!! Let the guys play the same way that got them a 3 goal lead. Goodrow in year 1, Paul and Amadio last year would be 100 polnt guys on most other teams. Hard to get there when you are only allowed to play 2 periods then told to shut it down.

Greatger

May 11, 2007
Very well said. I 100% agree with you. I don't really like the system but its been working for him but makes for boring hockey.
Something else I noticed yesterday was they were trying to push their program sales so they don't give out the paper copies of the teams at the door anymore, plus they used to email this lineup to everybody on their email list, just before the game and that isn't happening either. A lot of Nickle & Diming going on lately.
It will be interesting to see how many season ticket holders are going to renew again next year.

rollo tape

May 11, 2007
nitpicking...but

............hit/miss e mail of days roster to season tix holders.....still no redemption nites so miss several games and you have lost seasons discount as a subscriber...ragged game day presentation...tank not inflated...same old sarge routine...terrific Ford on ice display..yogurt eating race exciting beyond words...bowling pins from next township to pins too close to net to fall....I will pick n choose games next year...team has my deposit for playoffs for 3 months..I could put it in a 60 day account...real positive is team is developing nicely..thx Stan..just win..style is out the door....not teams fault BUT sound system is brutal..just let Bob yell out from the box....cannot hear intermission interviews from my section...board could be more informative/entertaining...rant over/carry on..smoke em if ya got em......forgot..most entertaining game day presentation..the game where net attendant could not skate....stopped by grabbing the gate..could not get off fast enough so ref held up face off to save his life..

Last edited:

Glassnout

Aug 27, 2013
I am extremely pleased we are able to watch OHL again. But now that the honeymoon is over, it's time to freshen things up. Change the jerseys. They are horrible. I don't want the old Cents colours, but even if they added some more black like the Voodoos, it would be positive.
Get rid of the helicopter and shooting sounds, it is offensive. It does not come across as a tribute to our military.
Sound system is annoying but oh well.
I think the team has been playing well. Some of the vets have stepped up in a huge way, and a few need to get going.
Rookies will take time but they are all big, and should develop well.

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014
Greatger: I asked about renewing my season tiks after this season and was told that another 3 year commitment was required. I'm am willing to go year by year but can't commit to 3 more so if they insist on a 3 year package I will be out but will continue to support the team as best I can. Seems silly to me...

Rollo tape: That was an AWESOME rant..haha!! Redemption night would be a great idea, suggest it to the brass. Sarge = Yawn!! Sound system in our section is way too loud...jet engine loud!! How about no talking or music during intermission so you could talk to the ppl around you?? Video board = Yawn!! I thought that net attendant was hilarious also...bring him back for an encore.

Glassnout: Sadly, those sweaters have grown on me...don't mind them now. How good was the Hargrave pickup? Looks great out there. And how good is this Dineen kid, gonna be a star in this league.

Greatger

May 11, 2007
Greatger: I asked about renewing my season tiks after this season and was told that another 3 year commitment was required. I'm am willing to go year by year but can't commit to 3 more so if they insist on a 3 year package I will be out but will continue to support the team as best I can. Seems silly to me...

Sadly, if this is the case, not many will be renewing. We never had to do this with the Centennials. It was a year after year basis. Looks to me like they want to insure attendance and this is the only sure way of doing it. I, as well as many others want to help out team but committing for another 3 years will not be good.

MartyHuggins

Mar 17, 2015
Must be the new season of The Walking Dead that has everyone stirring.....relax, you've been treated to some great hockey the past two years with more to come. Stan calls it as he sees it, no sugar coating...they're a bad team right now but starting to move in the right direction.
As for the three year commitment, that is all it is. It's not a legal binding contract, I know people who left after the first year!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad