Nolan Patrick, Part 2

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
Well I figured we were throwing likelihood out the window when you had Konecny on a line without Weise :laugh:
Honestly we only have one center who can keep up with TK and thats 21. Of course everyone is better with Couts and so would TK but I'd like to see him with a center who can really skate.

Weise just isn't very good but neither is Lehtera or Read. Not sure who's on the farm that can skate other than Martel .

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
The thing is that Hack is between a rock and hard place... feeling the breath over his shoulder... he has played Nolan in Filp's spot more than a Few times, only to be pressed into swapping them again as he tries to stem a losing atmosphere and face the townspeople's pitchforks... he is caught between bringing the kids along faster and shortening his bench/icing better scoring lines.

Ahh the Berube Conundrum

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Honestly we only have one center who can keep up with TK and thats 21. Of course everyone is better with Couts and so would TK but I'd like to see him with a center who can really skate.

Weise just isn't very good but neither is Lehtera or Read. Not sure who's on the farm that can skate other than Martel .
Laughton and Konecny would be fine with me too, so long as that other wing isn't Weise.

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Problem is Laughton isn't a playmaker, so you'd want someone like Voracek for their LW, a skater who can pass and set up his linemates.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
When did Patrick ever play more than Filppula?

I was speaking of playing Patrick as a #2 C and Filp as as the #3... not referring to nor checking on TOI.

I'm going by reported lines for Games... this was during fiddling around with Players on different lines... never lasting long; possibly even not lasting full Game... this has been reported a few times, but Filp always returns to #2 quickly.

I wouldn't doubt Filp always having more TOI than Nolan... his time on PP#1 and shortening of benches I'm sure accounts for some if the difference between the two.

The point I was trying to make was that Hak has given Nolan his shots, but Patrick has never been able to take hold of the opportunity... it's not like the Coach has not given him a chance.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I was speaking of playing Patrick as a #2 C and Filp as as the #3... not referring to nor checking on TOI.

I'm going by reported lines for Games... this was during fiddling around with Players on different lines... never lasting long; possibly even not lasting full Game... this has been reported a few times, but Filp always returns to #2 quickly.

I wouldn't doubt Filp always having more TOI than Nolan... his time on PP#1 and shortening of benches I'm sure accounts for some if the difference between the two.

The point I was trying to make was that Hak has given Nolan his shots, but Patrick has never been able to take hold of the opportunity... it's not like the Coach has not given him a chance.

He needs an extended look with 2 quality with 2 quality wingers, with at least 1 being a possesion force.

In other words, he needs an extended look in the spot Filppula is currently occupying.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
He needs an extended look with 2 quality with 2 quality wingers, with at least 1 being a possesion force.

In other words, he needs an extended look in the spot Filppula is currently occupying.
Patrick was on and off injured for last two years and didn't get to prepare much in the off-season. By his own accounts he was installing to get winded. Not sure how much ice time he can actually manage.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC

Needs? Why? He hasn't looked physically ready for extended playing time to me. Why rush it, he's had two surgeries and a concussion in the last 12 months with limited training. You will be able to see the difference when he is ready just like last year with Ghost and G.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Needs? Why? He hasn't looked physically ready for extended playing time to me. Why rush it, he's had two surgeries and a concussion in the last 12 months with limited training. You will be able to see the difference when he is ready just like last year with Ghost and G.

Because Filppula sucks and is not a part of the future and Patrick is a major part of the future? We are supposed to be cultivating and developing. I'm okay with "not rushing it" and waiting until the 2nd half of the season, but at some point you have to put him in a good spot and see if he can run with it. Playing him next to Dale Weise is so bad it's damn near a slap in the face. If he stays in the same situation all year then it will be a wasted season and we would have been better off sending him to Brandon and not burning a year off of his ELC. Time will tell I guess.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
Because Filppula sucks and is not a part of the future and Patrick is a major part of the future? We are supposed to be cultivating and developing. I'm okay with "not rushing it" and waiting until the 2nd half of the season, but at some point you have to put him in a good spot and see if he can run with it. Playing him next to Dale Weise is so bad it's damn near a slap in the face. If he stays in the same situation all year then it will be a wasted season and we would have been better off sending him to Brandon and not burning a year off of his ELC. Time will tell I guess.
Of course, so why are you crying all the time?I'm no Flip fan at all. Can't wait for Patrick to take his spot. Do yourself a favor a buy a ticket go to the game and just watch Patrick. He is not 100%, nor in good enough shape, it's totally obvious. Just like it was last year with g and Ghost. Then about halfway through the year they started to get more jump. Hopefully it will happen sooner rather than later and it doesn't really matter who he is with now because he can't keep up and its made worse because he's a 19 yo rookie.

Reactions: Curufinwe

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Filppula doesn't suck, he's a capable 3rd line C asked to be a 2C because Patrick isn't ready.
Same way Hagg is asked to be a 2nd pair D-man b/c they don't have enough RHDs.
And right now they'll keep him with Ghost b/c they want Gudas babysitting Sanheim.

Can't blame a player being asked to do more than they should be asked because the team lacks depth. The solution is to add better players.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Of course, so why are you crying all the time?I'm no Flip fan at all. Can't wait for Patrick to take his spot. Do yourself a favor a buy a ticket go to the game and just watch Patrick. He is not 100%, nor in good enough shape, it's totally obvious. Just like it was last year with g and Ghost. Then about halfway through the year they started to get more jump. Hopefully it will happen sooner rather than later and it doesn't really matter who he is with now because he can't keep up and its made worse because he's a 19 yo rookie.

Ill be crying until the day Hakstol is fired and im not ashamed to admit it.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
The upside to Voracek being the best player is that you sorta now have at least two effective lines.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I wonder how would people view Patrick if he as 2nd rounder instead of 2nd overall.

"Why isn't he in junior hockey for two more years."

Patrick will be fine, he just has to get healthy.
Look how bad Giroux and Ghost looked last year until the spring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad