Nolan Patrick, Part 2

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
While watching him... he looks like a top 5 pick. His board play needs a lot of work, but his playmaking is outstanding. He can threat the needle better than anyone on that team besides G and Voracek.

The thing that bothers me is that he is stuck in a minimal role with Dale Weise. That has really been his only consistent line mate this season. Weise needs to go. He doesn't drive play. The only thing he does well is check. His other mates are rotational players between the 3rd and 4th lines which is hard to build chemistry between if you can't play with people regularly.

The points will come soon enough. Jordan Weal has been a disappointment and should be sent down. He didn't even look that good last year, he just got lost in coverage and got some puck luck. Their bottom 6 is too small with 0 ability to play the boards (besides Laughton and Konecny). They're all not talented (at least not yet) enough for open ice play against better Dmen and they constantly find themselves chasing- besides the 4th line at times.

If Patrick were to switch with Filp you'd see point production increase. Flips would go down... just like when he left the 3rd line before.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
While watching him... he looks like a top 5 pick. His board play needs a lot of work, but his playmaking is outstanding. He can threat the needle better than anyone on that team besides G and Voracek.

The thing that bothers me is that he is stuck in a minimal role with Dale Weise. That has really been his only consistent line mate this season. Weise needs to go. He doesn't drive play. The only thing he does well is check. His other mates are rotational players between the 3rd and 4th lines which is hard to build chemistry between if you can't play with people regularly.

The points will come soon enough. Jordan Weal has been a disappointment and should be sent down. He didn't even look that good last year, he just got lost in coverage and got some puck luck. Their bottom 6 is too small with 0 ability to play the boards (besides Laughton and Konecny). They're all not talented (at least not yet) enough for open ice play against better Dmen and they constantly find themselves chasing- besides the 4th line at times.

If Patrick were to switch with Filp you'd see point production increase. Flips would go down... just like when he left the 3rd line before.

Yep. He's been set-up up to not have success since the begining of the season. Hasn't once played with 2 strong possesion wingers and has rarely even played with 1.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Under the right coach he would probably do better.. but this is a rookie coach.. I wish he was playing in minors went to wjc.. got bigger stronger faster and played over 20min a game/.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Patrick has been awful, Hakstol's problem is how to get him minutes without sabotaging the team.

Lately, he's been showing glipses of talent, but it's obvious he's not close to 100%.

If he plays close to his talent, he'd make Weal and Weise look like NHL players, because his game is puck possession, pin point passes, etc., which will make any linemate look good. Right now he's still figuring out the NHL game, and has no burst, no speed, lacks strength, other than that he's fine. He's smart, sees the ice well, can pass, but isn't close to being the player he was two years ago when he dominated junior hockey.

The obsession with making excuses for struggling young players amuses me, young players struggle, get used to it, you're gonna see a lot of it the next few years.
If a player is playing well, linemates can make him look even better, but certain players should make their linemates better, and Patrick is one of them (I expect the same impact from Lindblom and Vorobyev, given their style of play). They tried Konecny with him, didn't work.

Reactions: Jtown

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Problem is...this isn't a rookie coach anymore.

Of course they're telling Hakstol to be "safe," first do no harm.
Then as you get more comfortable with the speed of the game, expand your game.
And I've seen Hakstol make some nice decisions the last few games, he can do it, but let him walk before he tries to jog, much less sprint.

The worst thing you can do with this coach is have him try to do what they did in NCAA against slower players with limited instincts.
Start coaching around in the NHL before you know the league and its players, and are comfortable with the speed of the game is a recipe for disaster (and a great way to crush a young coaches confidence).

Hopefully some will get this reference....lol.

Reactions: TroutHockey

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
He has all the tools but his skating and stamina shows. Next year I expect him to be an entirely different player barring injury.

A good offseason and the sky's the limit

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
Patrick has been awful, Hakstol's problem is how to get him minutes without sabotaging the team.

Lately, he's been showing glipses of talent, but it's obvious he's not close to 100%.

If he plays close to his talent, he'd make Weal and Weise look like NHL players, because his game is puck possession, pin point passes, etc., which will make any linemate look good. Right now he's still figuring out the NHL game, and has no burst, no speed, lacks strength, other than that he's fine. He's smart, sees the ice well, can pass, but isn't close to being the player he was two years ago when he dominated junior hockey.

The obsession with making excuses for struggling young players amuses me, young players struggle, get used to it, you're gonna see a lot of it the next few years.
If a player is playing well, linemates can make him look even better, but certain players should make their linemates better, and Patrick is one of them (I expect the same impact from Lindblom and Vorobyev, given their style of play). They tried Konecny with him, didn't work.

They will make players on their line better... but not when they're rookies. Your expectations are flawed.

Struggling is expected. Inconsistency is expected. Mistakes are expected. Carrying linemates at 19, is not. Steven Stamkos himself didn't do it as a rookie. Tyler Seguin didn't do it. Joe Thornton. Vinny Lecavalier. Ad nauseum.

Rookies can be expected to contribute if put in the right positions to succeed - fair expectation. If put in an unfair position, such as what Patrick has been in, the expectation that they should somehow 'prove' themselves by elevating their linemate is a flawed philosophy.

Nico Hischier was put with Taylor Hall immediately from game 1 in New Jersey - but Hischier is pointless in his last 6 games. 4 in his last 14. Should he be dropped off that line?

You can limit a player's role on a single line - you don't have to remove them from it entirely.

Seems like for all the "excuses" we make about rookies, the expectations are out of whack with reality - which is what the company motto is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beef Invictus

topley

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
From my perspective, there has been a significant improvement in his movement the last few games. Seems more able to keep up with the pace of play. I am encouraged. His skill is obvious but the pace has seemed too much for him until the last few games.

Reactions: Rebels57

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
From my perspective, there has been a significant improvement in his movement the last few games. Seems more able to keep up with the pace of play. I am encouraged. His skill is obvious but the pace has seemed too much for him until the last few games.

I agree with this..and when you feel that strength in your legs, it leads to more confidence when attacking with the puck and chasing down loose ones. You could see that in the 3rd last night. Hopefully it's a stepping stone for him.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Why are the nicknames on this team so bad?

Flyers’ Nolan Patrick on a slow progression but believes ‘it will come’

“In that time where I didn’t have minutes, I didn’t deserve to have any more minutes,” Patrick said. “I wasn’t doing anything to help the team. Obviously I haven’t been putting many numbers up lately, but I feel like our line has been getting some good offensive shifts and playing against other teams’ good lines. I think Weiser’s been good recently with how physical he’s been and he creates a lot of turnovers and space. Credit to him for helping the line. I’m feeling a little better lately.”

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
How's Patrick coming along? I have not seen any Flyers games this year but curious about his progress.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
How's Patrick coming along? I have not seen any Flyers games this year but curious about his progress.

Started horrible and has made some improvements since. He is getting faster and healthier. Should continue to see improvements for the rest of the season. Next year he should begin to take larger leaps forward.

Reactions: Rebels57

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He's gonna follow the Couturier development path, minus the immediate elite defense.

For the first few years we'll see lots of potential but just decent results. There will be a faction of shortsighted and impatient fans who declare him a bust. The majority will tell them to relax and be patient. Then eventually he'll click and show why he was so highly rated.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
He's gonna follow the Couturier development path, minus the immediate elite defense.

For the first few years we'll see lots of potential but just decent results. There will be a faction of shortsighted and impatient fans who declare him a bust. The majority will tell them to relax and be patient. Then eventually he'll click and show why he was so highly rated.

You're a bust

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
Patrick will be fine, as soon as later this year. I think a lot of people have turned on him unnecessarily this year. I feel he'll have a nice streak by the end of the year, and explode onto the scene next year.

Reactions: RANKKA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad