Nolan Patrick, Part 2

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Since the prior thread has neared its suggested limit, a new thread has begun.

The prior thread: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/round-1-pick-2-nolan-patrick-c-brandon-whl.2361507/

Flyers' Nolan Patrick making slow progress from apparent concussion

Rookie center Nolan Patrick, sidelined with an apparent concussion, is making progress and Flyers general manager Ron Hextall hopes he is able to play Tuesday in Minnesota.

“I hope he’s a couple days away from practicing with the team,” Hextall said after the morning skate Thursday in Voorhees.

Patrick skated before practice Thursday but was not with the team.
“It’s a matter of kind of ramping him up every day and hopefully things continue on the path they’re going on right now,” Hextall said.

Hextall said Patrick’s recovery has “taken longer than we thought and certainly hoped, but he skated [Thursday] and everything went good. He worked out. You just can’t go from zero to 60; it’s got to be zero to 20 and then up, so he’ll go a little harder” Friday.

The general manager said he did not anticipate sending Patrick to the AHL’s Phantoms for a rehab stint. He also ruled out sending him back to his junior team in Brandon.

Source: Sam Carchidi (Philly.com)
Source link:
Flyers' Nolan Patrick making slow progress from apparent concussion
===================================

Nolan Patrick slowly recovering from concussion, but should stay with Flyers

“I don’t know about setbacks,” Hextall said. “It’s taken longer than we thought, certainly hoped, but he skated (Thursday) and everything went good. He felt good, he worked out. Now it’s a matter of starting to ramp him up. You can’t just go from zero to 60, it’s gotta be zero to 20 and then up so he’ll go a little harder (Friday) and hopefully continues to progress.”

“It’s my first time I’ve ever had anything like this kind of injury before so it’s a lot of protocol things you have to go through,” Patrick said back on Oct. 27, the day before the Toronto game. “I think the league is pretty big on that kind of stuff now.”

The hope is that Patrick can start practicing with the team again shortly and go on the road trip that begins Monday. The Flyers will go to St. Paul, Minnesota, and then Winnipeg, Manitoba, which is Patrick’s hometown.

Source: Dave Isaac (Courier-Post)
Source link: Nolan Patrick slowly recovering from concussion, but should stay with Flyers

Last edited:

Philly Fanatik

"They're going home!"
Jun 24, 2017
Clarenville,NL,Canada
Not the kind start Patrick needed for his rookie year!
Injuries are are part of hockey player's life but to have the type of back luck this kid has had,this early, could be detrimental for his career.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Well yeah, but it's his hometown. Bring out the friends and family. That's a game he would hate to miss.
I get that it's important to Patrick, but it isn't up to Patrick whether he's cleared to play or not. Hextall doesn't give a shit, he just wants to make sure he's 100%.

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I get that it's important to Patrick, but it isn't up to Patrick whether he's cleared to play or not. Hextall doesn't give a ****, he just wants to make sure he's 100%.

No, actually it is up to Patrick. After seeing how much better all the other rookies are this class and that he has almost no chance to even get a Calder nomination, he's choosing to sit out the year to achieve health and try again next year.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
No, actually it is up to Patrick. After seeing how much better all the other rookies are this class and that he has almost no chance to even get a Calder nomination, he's choosing to sit out the year to achieve health and try again next year.
Of course. How silly of me.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The concussion is bad news, sitting out a fwe games and watching may not be the worst thing.
Young kid plays, is a bit overwhelmed, then watches for a while, gets to assimilate what was happening, then gets back on the ice with a better feel for the game.
Hopefully, it'll work out this way when he returns.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The concussion is bad news, sitting out a fwe games and watching may not be the worst thing.
Young kid plays, is a bit overwhelmed, then watches for a while, gets to assimilate what was happening, then gets back on the ice with a better feel for the game.
Hopefully, it'll work out this way when he returns.
His issues this year are not from miss-reading plays, etc... It's all physical IMO. This year was always going to be a struggle for Patrick. But it's important to finish the year healthy so he can have a full offseason of hard training. I expect a very different Patrick if that happens.

But as we have seen with Couturier, having great instincts and hockey IQ can cover for physical limitations. Patrick should get better as the year goes on...if he can remain healthy.

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
This is an interesting dilemma. The team is way more dangerous with Patrick playing but realistically he has played well but you can tell he hasn't been in game shape. The kid if he stays healthy he will be a gem you can just tell once he gets his confidence and his skating legs he will be an important piece of this team winning cups... I like others am worried sick that the bolded part could derail his career and development Keeping my fingers crossed that this is just a blip (same with Myers)

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
This is an interesting dilemma. The team is way more dangerous with Patrick playing but realistically he has played well but you can tell he hasn't been in game shape. The kid if he stays healthy he will be a gem you can just tell once he gets his confidence and his skating legs he will be an important piece of this team winning cups... I like others am worried sick that the bolded part could derail his career and development Keeping my fingers crossed that this is just a blip (same with Myers)

I have been worried sick about it since the lottery, but I'm trying to stay logical about it. As Flyers fans, we have gone through some rotten ****, from tragic on a larger scale (RIP Pelle), to tragic on a hockey scale (**** you, Scott Stevens), and everything in between. I'm just trying to remind myself that worrying too much about this situation is basically akin to me feeling sorry for myself - "Oh woe is us, why can't we have nice things?" - when the truth is that, for all we know, the imploded pelvis that plagued him last year and the (apparent) concussion that has sidelined him this season are isolated incidents that won't be repeated. We are not jinxed - that is what I keep trying to tell myself. Because down the other path lies madness and I hardly need more of that.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If Hextall thought there was a serious issue, the kid would be put on ice.
But they've been conservative with the concussion protocol, and the further he gets from surgery, as we saw with Giroux and Ghost last season, the closer he'll get to 100%.
Fans have to just relax, lower their expectations, and wait to be pleasantly surprised.

My feeling is sometime in mid-winter a combination of adjusting to NHL speed and confidence in his health (i.e. being able to push it without the subconscious fear of reinjuring the pelvis? holding him back), and suddenly we'll see why he was the #2 pick in the draft.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
My feeling is sometime in mid-winter a combination of adjusting to NHL speed and confidence in his health (i.e. being able to push it without the subconscious fear of reinjuring the pelvis? holding him back), and suddenly we'll see why he was the #2 pick in the draft.

He has looked perfectly fine to me too, head. It didn't feel like I was watching a player who was out of his depth or anything. I just want him to get healthy and get this year under his belt. Nothing is ****ed, dude, nothing is ****ed (fingers crossed).

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Issac tweeted he wasn't there, then had to correct himself 10 minutes later. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->