Nolan Patrick, Part 2

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I hope at some point we have a game where we are up by 4 goals and they give Patrick either Giroux or Voracek as a winger for some shifts.

Why? They are no Dale Weise.

What they should really do is scratch Weise and call up Matt Read, who had 8 points in his last 6 AHL games, has always been good at driving play, and is far better than Weise defensively.

But that's too complicated I guess.

Reactions: RANKKA

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
I was speaking of playing Patrick as a #2 C and Filp as as the #3... not referring to nor checking on TOI.

My god. What does being a 2 or 3C even mean if aren't refering to ice time?

Lets just start making up new names since they are irrelevant.

Couts is now our 0SumC
G is our LWC
Nolan our FTC (Future top C)
Flip our BlackholeC
Laughton is still pigeonholed as a 4C

Reactions: Stizzle and Magua

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
My god. What does being a 2 or 3C even mean if aren't refering to ice time?

Lets just start making up new names since they are irrelevant.

Couts is now our 0SumC
G is our LWC
Nolan our FTC (Future top C)
Flip our BlackholeC
Laughton is still pigeonholed as a 4C

I'll keep it short and simple for you... a Player can move into another Center's slot... with better wings... and play the bulk of the Game there 5x5... not PP nor PK... and possibly switching back at end of Game when Bench is shortened.

In this manner a #3 Center can be played in the #2 Slot... but actually have less TOI... Special Teams can add TOI... and shortening bench can reduce.

This is what I meant about playing Patrick as #2C with less TOI.

Capisce?

... Please note no snarky sarcasm was used in the above reply.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It was obvious that NP was struggling, and it wasn't linemates, when someone like NP is playing well, like Couts, he'll elevate the play of his linemates, because that's his primary skills, ice vision, hockey IQ and a deft passing touch that allows him to set up linemates and cover for them defensively. To me, NP's future is as a bigger, stronger Couts with a little more burst, he'll probably fill out to 6'2 210 or so and be able to control the puck like Voracek and handle big opposing centers on defense. RIght now, he's not skating well nor does he have the strength to dominate along the boards and the corners. That will come, he's all of 19.

Last night was the first time he showed flashes of what he can become.
Fingers crossed, that he starts approaching 100% in January, because he can be a key element in making the playoffs.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Why? They are no Dale Weise.

What they should really do is scratch Weise and call up Matt Read, who had 8 points in his last 6 AHL games, has always been good at driving play, and is far better than Weise defensively.

But that's too complicated I guess.

Read has become a mediocre undersized forward - and his AHL scoring should be taken with a grain of salt, last time I saw him he wasn't heads and shoulders above the other players, but given his veteran experience he should be able to produce at that level.

Unfortunately, the legs are gone, he doesn't have the speed or burst that he had 3 years ago.

Reactions: hatcher

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You're probably faster than Lehtera.
Lehtera should be in the AHL, and probably will be next year when no one claims him off waivers.
That doesn't mean Read should be in the NHL, and I liked him as a player, when he could play.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
Patrick is definitely lacking explosiveness in his stride. I would think that is something that will improve as he more fully recovers from the hernia surgery and gets a real summer of conditioning under his belt.

Reactions: BernieParent

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Also needs to build up the core.
I can see him in camp next year, 6'2 210 and dominating play.
I just want to see him improve this spring to the point where he builds confidence and is a net positive player.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Watching the 2017-18 Giroux dart around, displaying his clever moves, and remembering the previous Season's Giroux who rarely displayed his cleverness... considering his move to Wing and reduced responsibility that is now the Center's... I am seeing a now healthy Player with more physical ability and more confidence.

Much the same can be noted about Ghost this Season.

Both G and Ghost went through very similar circumstanes that Nolan is presently going through... using natural assumptions... I believe that we can expect the 2018-19 Patrick to make the same strides as his two teammates did.

... Now add to that his age, physical development, and newness to the Level of hockey he is now confronted with... the faster speed and more advanced play from more advanced opposition... all and all, providing that Nolan doesn't continue on the same path next Season, I'm not very concerned about his future in the NHL... and even hope that we see a healthier and quicker Patrick later this Season.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
I'll keep it short and simple for you... a Player can move into another Center's slot... with better wings... and play the bulk of the Game there 5x5... not PP nor PK... and possibly switching back at end of Game when Bench is shortened.

In this manner a #3 Center can be played in the #2 Slot... but actually have less TOI... Special Teams can add TOI... and shortening bench can reduce.

This is what I meant about playing Patrick as #2C with less TOI.

Capisce?

... Please note no snarky sarcasm was used in the above reply.

Got it. He will be our "2C" paging 3C minutes for 2 periods before getting benched the same way Couts was a "3C" for years well playing 1C minutes. Makes sense.

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
Patrick hasn't been good, especially tonight, but I do hope that it gets to a point where he sees some minutes with better linemates. Sure you would like to see more from him individually, but you have him with Weal and Weise, two guys best suited to be the 3rd best player on their forward line.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Patrick was really solid against the Stars.... I'm not sure how you could come to the conclusion he wasn't. He was solid defensively and made a number of key plays breaking up the Dallas forwards. The kid has no 2nd gear at the moment and it's blatantly obvious it's from the surgery. G and Ghost both suffered an entire season. We shouldn't expect an 18 year old not too having exactly the same surgery.

If he's still this slow next year, then we can worry.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Patrick was really solid against the Stars.... I'm not sure how you could come to the conclusion he wasn't. He was solid defensively and made a number of key plays breaking up the Dallas forwards. The kid has no 2nd gear at the moment and it's blatantly obvious it's from the surgery. G and Ghost both suffered an entire season. We shouldn't expect an 18 year old not too having exactly the same surgery.

If he's still this slow next year, then we can worry.

I agree..very solid game last night. Looks like he getting ready to bust through on PP2 as well..if only his teammates could get him the puck in better areas when he is open.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
I agree..very solid game last night. Looks like he getting ready to bust through on PP2 as well..if only his teammates could get him the puck in better areas when he is open.
I agree with this too except they need to work the Pp2 to get Patrick the open shot. Part of that is Patrick needs to work harder at getting open on the Pp. I was specifically watching him and thought he wasn't moving enough to get open in scoring positions.

Reactions: Tripod

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
That second unit is a total wasteland which has pretty much been a common theme under Hakstol.
Tbf not exactly a murderers row of offensive talent on pp2 but three 20 yo's rotating in and out so hopefully will improve. Looks better lately though.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's talent and personnel makeup, watching the second unit, how often did you see a body in front of the goaltender?
A big body or two in the crease draws the defensemen into a shell, sets up screens and rebound attempts and gives the perimeter players more room to skate and pass.

Again, size matters. You don't need a team of jolly green giants, but you want someone who's big and strong enough to garner attention around the goal and distract the goalie. Simmonds does that on the 1st PP, who does that on the 2nd PP?

Strome could potentially make a living in that role if he learns to skate well enough to hide on a 4th line for 8 minutes a night at ES.
I think Allison, Bunnaman and Ratcliffe were all drafted with that role in mind.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
It's talent and personnel makeup, watching the second unit, how often did you see a body in front of the goaltender?
A big body or two in the crease draws the defensemen into a shell, sets up screens and rebound attempts and gives the perimeter players more room to skate and pass.

Again, size matters. You don't need a team of jolly green giants, but you want someone who's big and strong enough to garner attention around the goal and distract the goalie. Simmonds does that on the 1st PP, who does that on the 2nd PP?

Strome could potentially make a living in that role if he learns to skate well enough to hide on a 4th line for 8 minutes a night at ES.
I think Allison, Bunnaman and Ratcliffe were all drafted with that role in mind.
Leclair was great at that. Id like to see Morin in that role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad