Nolan Patrick, Part 2

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
Bull. Raffl stood out on the 4th line, he was the engine for that line, and when he moved up, he looked even better.
Patrick and Konecny, if they were playing up to their raw talent, should stand out, and they'd carry Weise the way Couts and Schenn carried Weise last year.

If you have to baby a prospect as much as y'all suggest, he ain't a top 6 player or much of a prospect.
Uhh the same Raffl who had 0 points through 20 games? The same one that has a bunch now that he is with Voracek?

Shocking why.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Actually, it has less to do with Voracek than luck evening out.
Raffl was never a great scorer, but he was never 0 goals in 20 games bad, either.
He was making and getting chances on the 4th line, just snakebit for a while.

The difference between a snakebit Raffl and a snakebit Konecny, is that Raffl, when he isn't scoring, does everything else that helps your team win, keep puck possession, set up screens in front of the net, play very good defense, play the PK. Konency has to learn that goals are often streaky, but the rest of your game comes down to effort and focus.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Bull. Raffl stood out on the 4th line, he was the engine for that line, and when he moved up, he looked even better.
Patrick and Konecny, if they were playing up to their raw talent, should stand out, and they'd carry Weise the way Couts and Schenn carried Weise last year.

If you have to baby a prospect as much as y'all suggest, he ain't a top 6 player or much of a prospect.

Raffl also isn't a rookie center and that entire line was awesome to start the year. Laughton and Leier can't even be compared to Dale "Line-Killer" Weise.

But yeah, probably pretty reasonable for a recovering 19 year old rookie, who gets less than 10 minutes per night, to be expected to do what 24 year old Couturier did when he played with Weise on a lucky streak and a 55 point player on the other side. Completely comparable scenarios.

Reactions: RespectTheProvorov

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Patrick has averaged 12 minutes a night, and I'm sure at home he'll get or exceed that number.
When he gets healthy and starts playing like he should, I predict he'll get 15-17 minutes a night.
Only question is when, this spring or next fall.

And if Patrick was close to 100% (and thus deserving of more TOI) he'd do fine with Weise and Konecny. Feeding Konecny and letting Weise set screens, is not much different from what Couts did with Weise and Schenn last year, Schenn is a better shooter but Konecny, with a good playmaking center, is more dangerous overall.

We're all impatient to see the "real Patrick", but his PT is not what's holding him back, it's his play that's holding back his PT.
When Patrick gets his mojo back, it won't take more than a few games for it to be obvious. Even playing 12 minutes a game.
And when that happens, Hakstol or any other coach will give him as much PT as he can handle.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
giphy.gif

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Patrick has averaged 12 minutes a night, and I'm sure at home he'll get or exceed that number.
When he gets healthy and starts playing like he should, I predict he'll get 15-17 minutes a night.
Only question is when, this spring or next fall.

And if Patrick was close to 100% (and thus deserving of more TOI) he'd do fine with Weise and Konecny. Feeding Konecny and letting Weise set screens, is not much different from what Couts did with Weise and Schenn last year, Schenn is a better shooter but Konecny, with a good playmaking center, is more dangerous overall.

We're all impatient to see the "real Patrick", but his PT is not what's holding him back, it's his play that's holding back his PT.
When Patrick gets his mojo back, it won't take more than a few games for it to be obvious. Even playing 12 minutes a game.
And when that happens, Hakstol or any other coach will give him as much PT as he can handle.

He was rushed into the NHL. Clearly his conditioning and skating is a problem. I don't see him getting his mojo till next year and a good offseason

Origina1Master

Mar 15, 2015
So I ordered a Patrick jersey on Cyber Monday and just received it today. I’m expecting that my doing this will be the confidence boost he needed to take that next step :nod:

I think this kid is going to be a good one and will help lead the Flyers to a cup. It would be nice if the coach would help him out a little bit though. Let him get some looks in Filp’s spot every once in a while to up his minutes and see how he does with good possession wingers.

Reactions: Rebels57

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
He was rushed into the NHL. Clearly his conditioning and skating is a problem. I don't see him getting his mojo till next year and a good offseason

I don't think he was rushed. If you asked most people or listened to most people around hockey who talked about him, they would have said he's nhl ready.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hextall was stuck with the NHL's policy.
Patrick was clearly too good for juniors if he was 100%, even at 80% he was an elite junior player last year.
Patrick was clearly not 100% to start the season.
So:
1) send him back to juniors and watch him waste a season bored to tears
2) throw him into the NHL fire and watch him struggle and hurt the team
3) ease him into the NHL with limited minutes and let him work his way back to 100%

They choose (3), and I don't know why people have a problem with that.
Patrick is clearly not ready for 2C duties or 18 minutes a night.
But he needs to play to adjust to the NHL and slowly work himself into game condition.

Hopefully, by January or so, he'll start regaining some burst and make plays and work his way into a bigger role.
It's not a matter of "earning PT" in the sense of just deserts, rather, showing on the ice that he's making physical progress and can handle a bigger load.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
But he also doesn't have to be stuck with Dale f***ing Weise.

And Konency is wasted on a line with Seabiscuit and the recovering rookie. At least put the two young guys somewhere where they actually have a chance to do something.

Reactions: klutch and Rebels57

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
But he also doesn't have to be stuck with Dale ****ing Weise.

And Konency is wasted on a line with Seabiscuit and the recovering rookie. At least put the two young guys somewhere where they actually have a chance to do something.

Been saying this for weeks..

28-14-11
12-19-93
40-51-17

So easy.

Reactions: BillDineen

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
So I ordered a Patrick jersey on Cyber Monday and just received it today. I’m expecting that my doing this will be the confidence boost he needed to take that next step :nod:

I think this kid is going to be a good one and will help lead the Flyers to a cup. It would be nice if the coach would help him out a little bit though. Let him get some looks in Filp’s spot every once in a while to up his minutes and see how he does with good possession wingers.

The thing is that Hack is between a rock and hard place... feeling the breath over his shoulder... he has played Nolan in Filp's spot more than a Few times, only to be pressed into swapping them again as he tries to stem a losing atmosphere and face the townspeople's pitchforks... he is caught between bringing the kids along faster and shortening his bench/icing better scoring lines.

I believe he may continue to flip Filp/Patrick from time to time... but will be hard pressed to ease up on that and let him and the other kids learn through less TOI... JMO

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The thing is that Hack is between a rock and hard place... feeling the breath over his shoulder... he has played Nolan in Filp's spot more than a Few times, only to be pressed into swapping them again as he tries to stem a losing atmosphere and face the townspeople's pitchforks... he is caught between bringing the kids along faster and shortening his bench/icing better scoring lines.

I believe he may continue to flip Filp/Patrick from time to time... but will be hard pressed to ease up on that and let him and the other kids learn through less TOI... JMO

When did Patrick ever play more than Filppula?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
When should he?
ES
Filpulla 13:28 CorsiRel -1.5 4-7 11 GF/GA 2.3/2.2
Patrick 10:04 CorsiRel -10.4 2-3 5 GF/GA 2.1/3.0

Filppula may not be a 2C, but right now he's clearly superior to Patrick by a wide margin.
Couts and Filppula are the 4th best PP forwards, both with GF 7.0/60, next best forward is Patrick with 4.9, Weal 4.1.

There's really nothing to be done but wait for Patrick to turn it around.
But until then, Filppula plays more minutes because right now he's the better player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->