Prospect Info: Noah Juulsen Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
Why is he working out his upper body, he needs to work on his lower body strength.

Defencemen generally need a stronger/bigger upper body for more frequent one on one and front of net battles, especially a Juulsen type of D man who's considered more of a "stay at home" defenceman.

If there's anything you should trust from a professional sports orga organization in 2018, it's the training program they provide. Each player has a program designed for them. The concern isn't the program, it's whether the young up and commer is disciplined enough to follow it.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Why is he working out his upper body, he needs to work on his lower body strength.
Heh, theyre one arm thrusters, its a full body move. A move thats been used for many years as an explosive exercise. Not a bad thing at all, and he still needs to do upper body work.

From The Couch

Jan 14, 2014
West PQ

Are you just judging by this one workout? That workout is great for engaging multiple muscles. He's using his tricep, shoulders, thighs, calves, abs. It mostly to work on his explosiveness. Seems like a great workout for a d-man in today's NHL.

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
He needs to become a consistent top 4 D within 3 years or we lose him in the next expansion.

We may lose one of him or Mete regardless if we end up acquiring a top 4 LHD to play with Weber.

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018
So you think he has the potential to be an effective offensive top 4 D or mostly defensive? I mean he has good moves watching him play last season, on a offensive zone he made Alzner look good.

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018
The way Juulsen is being talked about/hyped is very similar to how Tinordi at the end of the 2012-2013 season. Tinordi came in late played a dozen games (Including playoffs) looked very good and everybody had him penciled in as a top-4 going into the next season.

We have to be careful that we don't shatter Juulsen's confidence like we did with Tinordi or yo-yo him between the AHL/NHL like we did with Beaulieu. We have to ensure we put him in a situation where he can succeed, which means a somewhat sheltered role and not cutting his ice-time whenever he makes mistakes. I have more confidence in Julien doing this then I had with Therrien but if Bergevin is on the hot seat he'll put Julien on the hot seat and that could create issues since what's best long term doesn't always matchup with winning right now.
The times tinordi was with us we had bad development coaches

Reactions: dralaf

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
Not comparable, Tinordi always had difficulties with his decision making. On the other hand, Juulsen is fairly safe and pinch with certainty when he does. He's a much brighter player, I have zero concern with that player. He's already very good.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Are you just judging by this one workout? That workout is great for engaging multiple muscles. He's using his tricep, shoulders, thighs, calves, abs. It mostly to work on his explosiveness. Seems like a great workout for a d-man in today's NHL.

I was more playing off the previous poster's comments about how skinny his legs are. It's surprising to see on the one hand. On the other, I've heard a bunch of reporters talking about how much the physique of NHLers have changed over the last 10 - 15 years. No way someone as skinny as Lehkonen could survive 15 years ago. He'd have to put on a lot of weight before he could make the jump to the NHL.

But on the other hand, when I look at a guy like Pacioretty, it seems like he's lost both weight and speed/explosiveness.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
So you think he has the potential to be an effective offensive top 4 D or mostly defensive? I mean he has good moves watching him play last season, on a offensive zone he made Alzner look good.
I don’t think he’ll ever be an “offensive D” but with his strong shot and passing instincts, I can definitely see him become a 25-30 points two-way D.

Reactions: JohnLennon

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
Subban was not at all our best dman when he was just breaking in. Markov, Hamrlik, and Gorges in his prime were ahead of young Subban.

Anyways the point wasn't to compare Juulsen to Subban, it was to say not every young player is like Tinrordi.

I wouldn't at all be surprised if Juulsen makes himself invaluable. I have Weber and Petry ahead of him and that's it.

I think this is where we would disagree. Subban didn't have the the experience, sure, but he had the raw talent of those players. Markov was better, no doubt, but it was Markov's experience that separated him from Subban. I don't think Gorges was ever better than Subban, I actually remember Subban covering up Gorges weakness in his own end. I don't even remember Hamrlik and Subban on the same team. Maybe for a season?

Reactions: ottawa

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I think this is where we would disagree. Subban didn't have the the experience, sure, but he had the raw talent of those players. Markov was better, no doubt, but it was Markov's experience that separated him from Subban. I don't think Gorges was ever better than Subban, I actually remember Subban covering up Gorges weakness in his own end. I don't even remember Hamrlik and Subban on the same team. Maybe for a season?
Hamrlik played a full season plus two PO with Subban. In the first year Hamrlik was good but he was reallly slow in his last year with the Habd.

Jul 6, 2016
Juulsen has the tools to be an effective #4 d-man. Maybe 20-25 points from him is more realistic.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
He needs to become a consistent top 4 D within 3 years or we lose him in the next expansion.

We may lose one of him or Mete regardless if we end up acquiring a top 4 LHD to play with Weber.
Haven't thought of that. So if the NHL announce a new team in Seattle for 2020, an expansion draft at the end of the season with the same rules makes it we need to protect Weber-Mete-Juulsen... or Juulsen dont play enough NHL game to be eligible until then and we get to keep Petry? Maybe we should just trade Petry already.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
This is going to be the year Juulsen shows he can handle top4 minutes quite decently.

And some say I'm only negative...:sarcasm:.

Reactions: Beendair Donedat

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I might be alone in thinking he can be a stay at home guy on a first pairing but I think it's possible. Seems like a rock defensively but can handle the puck and make good decisions with it. Decent shot and passer.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I like Juulsen but I'm not sure he breaks camp with the Habs. He still seems to struggle a bit at times and he is waiver exempt which could allow the Habs to send him down and play some other guys. I definitely feel like Mete has earned a spot but Juulsen I'm less certain about. I feel like maybe someone could play just as well as him and he plays another half-season in Laval and come back up even stronger. What are your thoughts on this? Is Juulsen making the team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad