Prospect Info: Noah Juulsen Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Also need to factor in the team he was playing on. The habs offense was anemic last year which will drastically reduce a dmans production. Juulsen moves the puck well. If he were on the lightning his pace would probably be double that of what he got last year.
Also interesting to note that Leblanc had played the exact same number of AHL games (31) prior to his first recall...

As Juulsen did last year with the Rocket.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
I'm with 417's arguments. Mete and Juulsen already looks ready and much better than our other d-men. If you watch the games you can see that they rarely make mistakes and get more confident in their offensive side each games. Their pair was the best one all pre-season and even last season they were very good by the end of the season.

Some here have the tendency to take things as a type of "rule", hence the need to develop players through the AHL to maximise their potential. If feel that it's probably safer to develop them in the AHL, but it doesn't mean they can't develop in the NHL or develop faster. Saying otherwise feels like following a formulae to me, which I think is a bit simplistic when talking about hockey.

Yup exactly.

Especially considering they will both get loads of minutes.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
What made Leblanc's 42 game cameo more impressive than Juulsen's 23 game cameo?

Leblanc, as a forward no less, playing in a top 6 role if I recall correctly...

Managed 7 more pts in 19 more games compared to Juulsen.

Leblanc shouldn't have been called up, he was rushed to the NHL. But he was playing in the bottom 6 with crap linemates and at least was on pace for 20 pts, Juulsen was on pace for 11. Neither should have been in the NHL.

Reactions: DAChampion and 417

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I don't think I'm ignoring anything...I see both sides of the argument.

I meant more so your argument that if they should play the highest level where they aren't overwhelmed ignores important things not you personally.

Noah Juulsen does not look overwhelmed vs NHL competition...now that doesnt mean that he plays mistake free hockey.

But what triggers me is the things he does well as a player, he does them in the NHL. He doesnt look like to me, like the moment is too big for him. Hes not trying to be an offensive, puck rushing Dman like I often saw Karl Alzner do last year.

I agree Juulsen is not overwhelmed (Though that can change over a season), but mentioned playes need to be challenged, and that's true. The thing is Juulsen can still be challenged at the AHL level, especially if the challenge is on the offensive side of things. He has the tools to be a decent point producer, so his challenge should be to be a top offensive player at the AHL level. The fact that some parts of his game are NHL isn't that important.

When DLR started with the Habs, he played 12-15 mins a game...he looked solid.

Then, for whatever reason, they just stopped using him and when they would, he'd play 6-7 mins, healthy scratch, etc.

DLR would of been better served by continuing to benefit from the same confidence the coach showed early in his career...

When their confidence in him dwindled...

So did his game.

He looked solid but he wasn't producing, much, in the 20 something games he played before his ice-time was cut he registered a point in 3 games. That probably contributed to his loss of confidence.

Though his ice time dropped to 10min not quite 6-7. But confidence is key, which is why he would've been better served staying in the AHL that first year so he could build his confidence. It's very easy to lose confidence at the NHL level which is why bringing them up at the first sign of them being able to handle things is a mistake.

This is a common theme...

Therrien/Julien have both shown a ton of faith in Gallagher, Lehkonen, Mete...

Therrien/Julien have both shown little to no faith in Galchenyuk, DLR, McCarron, Scherbak

Draw your own conclusions from that

No arguments there.

Reactions: 417

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
He’s strong, and looked the part last year and so far this year. I think he’ll be a rock back there, just need him to stay healthy. Once he gets some experience and some confidence, I think he’ll be a very good second pair defenseman.

Reactions: dralaf

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
As long as CJ is ready to live with their mistakes and he won't bench them after every error...

Then IMO, the NHL is the best place for them to play in.

However, if both of them show they're not ready or if the coaching staff isn't willing to live with their mistakes like they seem OK to live with guys like Benn or Alzner's mistakes.

Then by all means...send him down to the AHL

To me, the biggest development-killer...

Is coaches who bench young players at the slightest mistake...

Yet have completely different standards for veterans...

That's what kills young players confidence and makes them play on their heels.

Well your 1st line settles it.

MT, CJ. Really favour the veteran and the kids do not get much leash at all in terms of making mistakes. Also they are prone to the "work up the line up garbage" instead of playing a guy with whom he fits best. I know Scherbak isnt having a good camp, as per usual, but is CJ doing anything to kick start him by giving him a preseason game with good players, such as Kotka ? No. He has a young struggling scoring winger on the 4th line with grinders.

Remember , CJ is the guy who just last year would not play Galchenyuk at C for even a game, such is the stubbornness.

Send all the young guys down that dont need to clear waivers.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
As long as CJ is ready to live with their mistakes and he won't bench them after every error...

Then IMO, the NHL is the best place for them to play in.

However, if both of them show they're not ready or if the coaching staff isn't willing to live with their mistakes like they seem OK to live with guys like Benn or Alzner's mistakes.

Then by all means...send him down to the AHL

To me, the biggest development-killer...

Is coaches who bench young players at the slightest mistake...

Yet have completely different standards for veterans...

That's what kills young players confidence and makes them play on their heels.
Nailed what’s been wrong with the Habs for last twenty years, double standards kill the youth

Reactions: dralaf and 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Really solid. Composed and not overwhelmed. He's ready IMO. Tape to tape passes without panicking with the puck under pressure=NHL ready.
Had a couple of good shot attempts and smart pinches in the offensive zone.

Again, I can't see how you could leave either him or Mete out of the lineup?

Based on last night and really, his preseason...

Jeff Petry looks like the overwhelmed rookie who needs more AHL seasoning.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
For those who watched Juulsen play since his junior days, you would know this kid plays a smart game and has the tools to be successful. Starting to like the Mete/Juulsen pairing and surprised they are trying it this early. Thought they would split them up and put a vet with each of them. They complement each other very well IMO and I'm not the only one who has noticed this.

Great game last night. We got burned on special teams but with 5/5 play, we took it too them. The focus is to move the puck and not let the other team set up their defensive system while we passed the puck back and forth on D. Leafs got humbled a bit with the 5/5 play.... pretty sure they didn't expect it and the speed was noticeable.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I’d actually be a little optimistic about the season if Weber was healthy and they decided to unload dead weight to have a bottom pairing of Mete-Juulsen.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Nailed what’s been wrong with the Habs for last twenty years, double standards kill the youth

Go to any teams board and to a certain degree you'll see the same complaints. It's always a part of being in the NHL, which is why generally speaking you want to be a bit cautious with young players. If the risk is significant, and the development time is very important it's better to not play them in the NHL.

That said we are likely one of the biggest offenders. With Therrien and Julien being among the worst.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Go to any teams board and to a certain degree you'll see the same complaints. It's always a part of being in the NHL, which is why generally speaking you want to be a bit cautious with young players. If the risk is significant, and the development time is very important it's better to not play them in the NHL.

That said we are likely one of the biggest offenders. With Therrien and Julien being among the worst.
Look at what Bruce Cassidy and the Bruins did last year...

Charlie MacAvoy, Matt Grzelcyk , Danton Heinen, Jake DeBrusk, Ryan Donato

Look at how much success they had with these young players last year and a big reason why was because of the empowerment Cassidy gave them. He didn't yank them after every mistake.

Confidence is huge, especially for young players...and I don't think most coaches do good enough of a job to instill confidence in their young players.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

Look at how much success they had with these young players last year and a big reason why was because of the empowerment Cassidy gave them. He didn't yank them after every mistake.

Confidence is huge, especially for young players...and I don't think most coaches do good enough of a job to instill confidence in their young players.

Agreed.

But wait a few years and there will be some people making the same complaints about Cassidy. There are obviously differences in terms of how bad people are. And we seem to always go for the guys who are particularly bad at it. It's the same with coaches playing favourites, they all do it, the better ones do it less.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal

The Bruins definitely had the right approach after they fired Julien. Bringing Cassidy who had worked with the kids in the AHL was the right thing to do.
I think we are on the right track now, once Julien get's canned from Montreal (part 2) Bouchard will take over and we will already have started that transition
Also besides MacAvoy, the other guys had a few years of development and weren't rushed up to the big club, which I hope is also the decision we take for the next year or two before being a competitive team for good.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Agreed.

But wait a few years and there will be some people making the same complaints about Cassidy. There are obviously differences in terms of how bad people are. And we seem to always go for the guys who are particularly bad at it. It's the same with coaches playing favourites, they all do it, the better ones do it less.
Definitely agreed with that...

Most coaches prefer to live with the mistakes of veterans as opposed to rookies.

Which has always been perplexing to me. Mistakes are mistakes, everyone makes them...but the younger you are, the more likely you're able to learn and improve.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The Bruins definitely had the right approach after they fired Julien. Bringing Cassidy who had worked with the kids in the AHL was the right thing to do.
I think we are on the right track now, once Julien get's canned from Montreal (part 2) Bouchard will take over and we will already have started that transition
Also besides MacAvoy, the other guys had a few years of development and weren't rushed up to the big club, which I hope is also the decision we take for the next year or two before being a competitive team for good.
I guess...but DeBrusk, Grzelcyk, Heinen all played the equivalent of 1 AHL season respectively.

Ryan Donato went straight from NCAA to Boston

Anders Bjork, who I forgot to mention, only played 9 AHL games last year...he played 30 with the Bruins before getting hurt.

None of these guys played years in the AHL.

The league is getting younger and younger...that's the wave right now, smart teams ride this wave.

Stubborn teams & coaches continue to use the mantra that "young = mistake prone".

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
I guess...but DeBrusk, Grzelcyk, Heinen all played the equivalent of 1 AHL season respectively.

Ryan Donato went straight from NCAA to Boston

Anders Bjork, who I forgot to mention, only played 9 AHL games last year...he played 30 with the Bruins before getting hurt.

None of these guys played years in the AHL.

The league is getting younger and younger...that's the wave right now, smart teams ride this wave.

Stubborn teams & coaches continue to use the mantra that "young = mistake prone".

And that's the problem I see with Julien. He isn't the type of coach that will allow and accept some of the kids making mistakes.
He did last season but let's face it, the season was over in November and he knew it.
But I completely agree with you, the league is changing and moving forward, time for us to get rid of the dinosaurs!!

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
And that's the problem I see with Julien. He isn't the type of coach that will allow and accept some of the kids making mistakes.
He did last season but let's face it, the season was over in November and he knew it.
But I completely agree with you, the league is changing and moving forward, time for us to get rid of the dinosaurs!!
We'll We doesn't have much of a choice now. The Habs will be one of the youngest teams in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad