Prospect Info: Noah Juulsen Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
If the plan next year is to tank again, then playing Juulsen in the NHL in a somewhat sheltered role is probably best for his development. But the worst thing for his development is to be 7th D in the NHL or yo-yo between the AHL/NHL.

Or play another full season under sly ;)

Honestly we should no try to win next season unless we can somehow sign that guy from New York. Our vets are not good enough. We should ice our best kids. If they win good if not then we draft high again. Benn and Schlemko should definitely without any doubt in my mind be gone next season. Sign a plug to be the 7th dman one you'll be sure the coach wont use and when there's long term injuries call some kids up (Valiev, Lernout or whoever did not make the team). What message do you send as a team if you ice guys like Benn or Schlemko instead of your best prospects? IMO you send the message that experience is more important than performance. Mete and Juulsen did not look out of place. Will they progress? Only time will tell but they should play over Benn and Schlemko next season.

Mete-Weber
Reilly-Petry
Alzner-Juulsen
some plug

Same for the offense. Cash in on Byron this summer. We got to do it honestly it would be dumb not to. If you can't sign Patch to a reasonable contract trade him. Don't wait to be in a position where you are in a wild card spot at the deadline and can't trade them even if you know you won't win. Then ice the kids.

AG-Drouin-Scherbak
Hudon-Danault-Gallagher
Lehkonen-Shaw-Carr
Rychel-DLR-Deslauriers

Yeah this lineup wont make the playoffs but in the long run it's gonna be better than a laughable attempt at winning with guys like Benn, Schlemko, L Shaw and Froese playing big minutes.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Yeah that's what I was saying: I see it being more of a Subban situation (where they give him the ice time) than a Tinordi/Pateryn situation (where he's yo-yo'd back and forth and in and out of the lineup). He looks ready for a regular spot to me. Tinordi and Pateryn were much shakier/slow at making decisions.

Subban was one of if not our best defenceman since day 1. He made it impossible to not play him. Juulsen is far from doing that, sure he's been better then our bottom pairing guys, but he hasn't made himself invaluable.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Subban was one of if not our best defenceman since day 1. He made it impossible to not play him. Juulsen is far from doing that, sure he's been better then our bottom pairing guys, but he hasn't made himself invaluable.

Subban was not at all our best dman when he was just breaking in. Markov, Hamrlik, and Gorges in his prime were ahead of young Subban.

Anyways the point wasn't to compare Juulsen to Subban, it was to say not every young player is like Tinrordi.

I wouldn't at all be surprised if Juulsen makes himself invaluable. I have Weber and Petry ahead of him and that's it.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I think we've watched him play a good amount now, there are definitely good signs, but also some bad

He definitely projects as a 2nd pairing dman, and thats fine imo

If he was playing the way he's playing right now at 25 like beaulieu or something there'd be HUGE cause for concern, but a 20 yr old rookie in the NHL? alllll i want is more NHL games for juulsen, he'll only get more accustomed

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Outside of 2-3 teams that have a surplus of skilled D, most teams have a more standard set up on 2nd pairing. Your no.3 the skill guy who can put up 30-35 points and the defensively very solid no.4.

Juulsen seems a lock to be that no.4 guy. If he is able to move up the puck and generate some offense, then he may have that no.3 upside.

So far so good. And a good no.4 guy is nothing to sneeze at.

Reactions: Redux91

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Starting to rebuild a D-corps next year with a 33 year old and a 30/31 year old isn't exactly "nice".

Well, for one, a rebuild needs vets around to help guide the young kids. If all you do is get rid of anyone over a certain age and leave a bunch of 18-25 year olds, you're not doing yourself any real favors.

Secondly, despite their age, they're good at what they do.

Reactions: Deebs and Redux91

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Well, for one, a rebuild needs vets around to help guide the young kids. If all you do is get rid of anyone over a certain age and leave a bunch of 18-25 year olds, you're not doing yourself any real favors.

Well, typically if you're rebuilding, you don't want the far and away best players to be in their 30s. There's a difference between guiding the kids and carrying the kids.

I'm also not really sure why Weber and Petry being good has to do with their age or the state of a D rebuild.

When I look at a "nice" D rebuild, I want to see at least one young D-man making serious waves.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013

Yeah, I'm all for trading vets like Pacioretty, Weber, Price, and Petry and getting young talent. But then again, Pacioretty and Byron are our only forwards 28 and older.

And it's especially important to have good veterans on D. Ideally, each rookie/2nd year is paired with a solid veteran. Weber and Petry are our only positive role models for Reilly, Mete, Juulsen, Lernout, Valiev, all the young D we drafted in '17, and the D we'll draft this year. There's a significant chance (I loosely put it at 50/50) we'll draft a dman who's ready to step in next year.

Deebs

Let's swim to the moon
Feb 5, 2014

Of course. It's ridiculous some posters think the entire lineup should just be all youngsters. That would be the dumbest thing the team could do....need that mix.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Leave him in the AHL

Lernout has to pass through waivers. No guarantee he makes it. Juulsen doesn't.

So, the choice is:

a) Juulsen develops 1 more year in the AHL, Lernout plays in the NHL
b) Juulsen plays in the NHL, Lernout is lost to another team via waiver wire
c) Juulsen plays on the left side, Lernout plays botttom pairing on the right.

If Juulsen can play the left side (most dmen can't, but a few can) that would solve more than just this Lernout vs. Juulsen problem. We're very weak on the left side.

Deebs

Let's swim to the moon
Feb 5, 2014

So, the choice is:

If Juulsen can play the left side (most dmen can't, but a few can) that would solve more than just this Lernout vs. Juulsen problem. We're very weak on the left side.

Didn't know about Lernout and his waiver situation. Yeah, leave Jewels down and put Lernout on the 3rd pairing to start the year.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
There's a big difference between how Subban looked vs Juulsen. Subban was dominant, Juulsen just looks like he belongs. We have to be cautious about penciling in young players even when they look like they belong. It's that kind of mistake that led many to believe Benn was a top-4 Dman and should be protected over Beaulieu/Emelin.

Better then most of our dmen isn't a high bar :)

If the plan next year is to tank again, then playing Juulsen in the NHL in a somewhat sheltered role is probably best for his development. But the worst thing for his development is to be 7th D in the NHL or yo-yo between the AHL/NHL.

All three of Benn, Beaulieu, and Emelin are bottom pairing dmen. None is top 4. I prefer Benn at 1.4 million than Emelin at 4 million. Also, Beaulieu at 2.5 million versus Benn at 1.4 million isn't so clear cut.

Anyways, I prefer going with young guys Juulsen, Mete, Rielly, and Lernout over all 3 of them.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
All three of Benn, Beaulieu, and Emelin are bottom pairing dmen. None is top 4. I prefer Benn at 1.4 million than Emelin at 4 million. Also, Beaulieu at 2.5 million versus Benn at 1.4 million isn't so clear cut.

Anyways, I prefer going with young guys Juulsen, Mete, Rielly, and Lernout over all 3 of them.

Benn versus Beaulieu i think it really depends on what you need. They both kind of *** defensively but Benn is a little bit more stable. I would not trust any of those two on the PK though. Offensively Beaulieu can get the puck out of the zone more effectively but his shot is awful so once in the offensive zone he's not really better.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Juulsen should never have been called up imo, playing just 31 games in the AHL while badly need to work on his offensive game. In his first 25 games in the AHL he had points in 1 game. Granted he has the type of game that he can do well in the NHL but imo if he doesn't develop his offensive game he won't be a top 4 D as you have to be able to provide some kind of offense at least on a contending team.

So now I don't know what to do with him, would be better to be in the AHL working on his offensive game or would it mess with his confidence? Will Lefebvre be fired or does everyone get a free pass for our NHL/AHL teams being a laughing stock.

What do you do with Lernout?

Let him fight it out with Benn, Valiev, for the bottom pairing/7th D spot. Losers go to the AHL. If we lost him on waivers oh well. Guess we need to see what management is going to do. If they are going to try to make the playoffs or rebuild. If it's a rebuild then Benn should be in the AHL if not traded so that Lernout/Valiev can be in the NHL to see what they can do. But I don't see them going for a rebuild, not smart enough.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016

So, the choice is:

We have to see how camp plays out and there can be some trades. But you make a good point and its possible Julsen goes back down.

There will be injuries, players will suck, lots of the young guys will get lots of chances. I can see trying Lernout for 10 games and if he isn't good he would probably clear waivers.

stanley25

Jun 15, 2009

This kid has a great attitude really hope and optimistic that he makes it as at least a top 4. He's now up to 203 pounds as a 6'2 20 year old that's ideal nhl size.

Also love the 2nd last paragraph, props to gally and Weber.

"Gally [Brendan Gallagher] texted me a little bit and Shea Weber sent me a couple of texts the other day just to see how things were going. I think that means a lot to a young guy. You're not really expecting that, especially as a younger player who was only up with the Canadiens for the last couple of months of the season. For them to reach out and send a text here and there, it means a lot to a guy hoping to be in the NHL for a very long time."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->