Friedman: Noah Hanifin could be traded this offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
You'll have to forgive me as I'm not overly familiar with the hurricanes, but looking at their organization purely off of the Internet rosters I feel like Drouin isn't what they need. Looking at their roster and prospects, they appear to need a center. I get that hanifin might not get a 1c at this point, but wouldn't it make much more sense to try and use one of their better trade baits to try to address that need, or am I missing something?

A C would be nice but it's not critical. (We're not taking a lesser 1C over a better offensive L/RW.) Lindholm was drafted as a C but plays better on the W. Staal and Rask are both Cs. Aho's future long-term is at C. What we need is a top-line dynamic offensive F we can build around and to be the focal point of the offense. We'll jigger people around to make it work if we have to...as long as we get a guy that can be the offensive sparkplug.

The Canes are a team that if they scored a little bit more and got even league average goaltending would be a strong playoff contender because of their stifling defense.

Hictor Vedman*

Unregistered Hedman
Sep 30, 2014
Ottawa
To TB: Trouba
To CAR: Drouin
To WPG: Hanifin (+ 2017 1st from TB)

Trouba has the most value. TB gets a young, stud RHD on a low cap hit for next season.

Jets get a good young LHD that is a step down from Trouba, but exempt from the expansion draft.

Carolina gets a top young forward.

Might need to tweak for value here and there.
Drouin and a first for Trouba. Hahahahaha.

Why not cut the middle man and trade Drouin for Trouba one for one?

That is if I wanted Trouba more, which I honestly don't, and that's even 1 for 1, forget about the added pick.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011

That is if I wanted Trouba more, which I honestly don't, and that's even 1 for 1, forget about the added pick.

Why would the Jets trade Trouba for Drouin?

Oxbow Lakes

Jun 1, 2015
Finland

WPG has no need for Drouin. Hanifin on the other hand would be a great addition for them.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
900+ posts. Any new developments or poor proposals back in forth??

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Trouba is worth more than Drouin.

Jets need the LHD. TB wants a RHD. Canes need a forward.

It's not that complicated.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-islanders-working-hard-john-tavares-extension-pitch/

With handedness not an issue (See #23), if I'm Yzerman, I cut Winnipeg out of that deal. Trouba is the better defenseman right now, but Hanifin has similar potential. Hanifin is cheaper than Trouba (ELC vs. 2nd contract) and should continue to be (2nd contract vs. 3rd contract.) Keep the 1st.

Trouba is better than Hanifin in every way at this point. I guess it depends on whether Yzerman wants to gamble that Hanifin develops further.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
To TB: Trouba
To CAR: Drouin
To WPG: Hanifin (+ 2017 1st from TB)

Trouba has the most value. TB gets a young, stud RHD on a low cap hit for next season.

Jets get a good young LHD that is a step down from Trouba, but exempt from the expansion draft.

Carolina gets a top young forward.

Might need to tweak for value here and there.

Makes sense all around although TB adding a 1st is a bit too much of an add.

edit: Also, Buffalo might want in on this so how about Reinhart replacing Drouin (and minus the 1st rd pick).

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk

edit: Also, Buffalo might want in on this so how about Reinhart replacing Drouin (and minus the 1st rd pick).

There is a zero percent chance the Jets trade Trouba straight up for Hanifin. Trouba is currently much better. There's a chance Hanifin ends up as good but there's also a chance that he never reaches where Trouba is now (nevermind that Trouba also still has room to grow).

Jets happily pass if the 1st is dropped.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Cody Eakin and third overall pick?

No. Not interested in a high draft pick for Hanifin...we're looking for someone that can be our top-line offensive sparkplug next year and for the next decade. Wouldn't even be interested in 1OA for Hanifin.

As for Eakin, he's not really an interesting piece for the Canes.

Dallas is a team that quite simply doesn't have the assets to be in on Hanifin. About 2/3 the NHL is in the same boat.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Might need to tweak the value, but there seems to be strong sentiment from Jets fans on this and the Jets board that Hanifin isn't close enough to Trouba to make that move, so there would need to be a decent add for the Jets. The issue is that Trouba is really a solid top pairing RHD now, who scores more than Hanifin and has outstanding defensive advanced stats. He's a big horse that can really log a ton of ice and is a physical presence. His trade value is sky high.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016

Not really. Tampa bay ends up with a young #1 rhd
Which is at the top of the market right now

Tampa bay would have to add

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
No. Not interested in a high draft pick for Hanifin...we're looking for someone that can be our top-line offensive sparkplug next year and for the next decade. Wouldn't even be interested in 1OA for Hanifin.

As for Eakin, he's not really an interesting piece for the Canes.

Dallas is a team that quite simply doesn't have the assets to be in on Hanifin. About 2/3 the NHL is in the same boat.

Aww, come on, Lindy Ruff thought he was the perfect first-line player to complement Jamie Benn and Tyler Seguin. That has to count for something :naughty:

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
Seabrook Anisimov+ for Hanifin

Carolina makes the playoffs and hawks unload salary and clear space for signing Shipachyov.

Hartman-Toews-Kane
Panarin-Ship-Hossa
Panik-Schmaltz-Hayden
Jurco-Kero-Kampf

and

Skinner-Staal-Lindholm
Aho-Rask-Teravainen
Anisimov-Ryan-Stepniak
Mcginn-Mcclement-Nordstrom

Slaven-Seabrook
Fluery-Faulk
Dahlbeck-Pesce