Speculation: NJD Offseason Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
do you honestly think that any of our prospects will ever be as good as Jason Demers is?

I don't get this line of thinking. Lets say Demers says "yea, I will sign with you guys for a fair deal." You tell him no because we MIGHT have a good NHL player in 2-3 years? That makes no sense to me.

Demers is 27 years old. This is not some 34 year old we're talking about.

Yes, at least one of Severson, Santini, Jacobs, etc. will be as good as Demers. If he signs a fair deal that's fine, I just don't see the reason for it when RHD is the best position in terms of prospects.

I respect the belief that we could use help for next season but I don't think a RHD (along with LW and C) are the positions we should be looking at free agents for.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
LINEUP

1. UFA F
2. Henrique
3. Zajac
4. Cammalleri
5. Palmieri
6. Boucher
7. TRADE - young top 6 potential forward.Agree but with what asset are trading?
8. UFA/another trade/young guy
9. Elias
10. Josefson I would not sign/trade him but that's not happening
11. DSP
12. Kalinin
13. Gionta

Competing for spots: Zacha, Blandisi, Quenneville, Lappin, Farnham, Kennedy, O’Neill, Wood, Pietila

1. Larsson
2. Greene
3. Severson
4. UFA D
5. Schlemko
6. Moore
7. Helgeson

Competing for spots: Santini, Mozik, Hrabarenka, Scarlett

1. Schneider
2. Kinkaid
Depth: Wedgewood

Just my 2 cents:
I think there will be more FAs added in bottom 6 Fs
No to Gio please
Lappin does not get in b4 Zacha I am guessing
Wood probably gets the 8 games and goes to Albany, callup at end of season or injuries
Farnham/Oneill are Albany guys and hopefully we dont have to call him up
Hegeleson is an emergency D callup in my mind
Patty Only a 1 yr if he's healthy

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Hudler is likely a little too old for Shero to go for, but I wouldn't mind him here at all. At 32 I don't know how many years he'd be looking for, but if he wanted 3 or less I'd entertain the idea. We need bodies on the RW and it would be nice to have another Czech to mentor Zacha if Elias retires. If he was willing to sign a 2 year deal for more money (idk 5-6?) I think he'd fit nicely. Overpaying for fewer years is fine given our cap situation. And we could move him for picks at the deadline if we wanted to go that route.

This isn't a very sexy idea, but it makes us a better team and isn't very risky. Calgary just got a second round pick for him at the deadline, so maybe he'll still have that value in a couple of years.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Yes, at least one of Severson, Santini, Jacobs, etc. will be as good as Demers. If he signs a fair deal that's fine, I just don't see the reason for it when RHD is the best position in terms of prospects.

I respect the belief that we could use help for next season but I don't think a RHD (along with LW and C) are the positions we should be looking at free agents for.

Our left D was stacked a few years ago with Merrill and Gelinas waiting to light the league on fire...didn't happen though.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Different players, different coaches, different management, different eras.

Still the point's the same, you can't automatically assume that prospects will all pan out.

By the same token I don't want to sign a million guys long-term and leave no opportunity ever for the kids ever to win spots. It's a delicate balance. How are Severson/Santini/etc ever supposed to prove themselves here at the NHL level if you have a bunch of older guys signed long-term?

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Different players, different coaches, different management, different eras.

Same idea. That is, counting chickens before they've hatched. And having too many good players is a good problem to have. We aren't even close to that right now though. We have no idea how Santini and Jacobs will be (or when they'll be ready). And we don't know how good Severson will be. Demers wouldn't be blocking anyone for the first 3 years of his deal at least.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Same idea. That is, counting chickens before they've hatched. And having too many good players is a good problem to have. We aren't even close to that right now though. We have no idea how Santini and Jacobs will be (or when they'll be ready). And we don't know how good Severson will be. Demers wouldn't be blocking anyone for the first 3 years of his deal at least.

Considering Santini and Jacobs both just got signed to entry-level contracts and have both had some post-draft years already I think the clock's a little closer than three years on both.

And here's the other part about signing a UFA defenseman this year...then who gets left unprotected in the anticipated expansion draft assuming you can only protect three guys? You aren't leaving Greene/Larsson unprotected and I can't fathom leaving Severson at 22 years old unprotected even if he has another meh year. I can't see signing someone to a long-term deal this year only to leave them unprotected in one offseason.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

I'm really starting to like Demers while watching him for the Stars, but I have to agree I don't think it makes any sense. Considering it would likely take a longterm deal, it will just clog up the right side of our blue-line both now and for the foreseeable future. Given how young Larsson and Severson are and that our best two prospect defenders are also RD, we can't add a long-term player to that side.

Our left D was stacked a few years ago with Merrill and Gelinas waiting to light the league on fire...didn't happen though.

That doesn't justify adding a RHD just to clog up that side of the blue line for the next 3+ years though.

He would be immediately pushing Severson out of a top four role. On the short term, that isn't necessarily the worst thing in the world, but Demers wouldn't be just a short term stop gap. Too many good players is a good problem to have, but when there is such limited space on defense, it starts to become more detrimental than useful.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
That's a good point about the expansion draft..Greene will be getting up there tho..what like 34 or 35? But I can't imagine he won't be protected.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I know we've had this discussion many times, but I still view making the playoffs next year as gravy.

Ironically, Demers and Goligoski are players who have come a long way in their development. If anything, they should be held up as examples of why we should wait and stick with our young guys, painful as it may be for the next two seasons.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think Hudler would be alright on a Tlusty type deal with literally no term or like Stempniak last year with no term.

He had a pretty disappointing season among his standards, as well as a bad playoff series. I wouldn't be shocked if he only receives a PTO. But if I had to bet, he signs a two year deal somewhere at maximum. He won't be getting a 4 or 5 year deal.

And I've been thinking and I want Schlemko signed ASAP. I could see a cap strapped team like LA go after him on July 1st, as he'll be cheap and was better than probably half the D they were icing late this year. If we let him walk, it needs to be for a bigger fish. I'm not interested in replacing him with another version of him, as I don't feel the next one year UFA signing on September 10th will be as good as him.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
He would be immediately pushing Severson out of a top four role. On the short term, that isn't necessarily the worst thing in the world, but Demers wouldn't be just a short term stop gap. Too many good players is a good problem to have, but when there is such limited space on defense, it starts to become more detrimental than useful.

The premise I outlined had Severson on the left side with Larsson. Who knows if we'll see that next year, but I like the idea. Severson needs a long term stable partner and Larsson is definitely that.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
hasn't Severson been playing the left side in Albany?

maybe they are seeing how he handles that to see what moves they can make this summer?

if he can play on the left side and we can sign a guy like Demers, a top 4 of Greene-Larsson and Severson-Demers would be p cool

we need a guy that can handle tough defensive minutes aside from Greene/Larsson. We don't currently have that guy on the roster.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
The premise I outlined had Severson on the left side with Larsson. Who knows if we'll see that next year, but I like the idea. Severson needs a long term stable partner and Larsson is definitely that.

That's a huge if though.

I wouldn't want to take the risk of having to move one of Demers, Larsson, or Severson to LD. If it doesn't work out, then we're going to have a logjam on that side very soon.

hasn't Severson been playing the left side in Albany?

maybe they are seeing how he handles that to see what moves they can make this summer?

if he can play on the left side and we can sign a guy like Demers, a top 4 of Greene-Larsson and Severson-Demers would be p cool

we need a guy that can handle tough defensive minutes aside from Greene/Larsson. We don't currently have that guy on the roster.

He played two games in the regular season with Mozik in the AHL. Since the playoff started he's been paired with Kelly (LD). I agree we need another defender, but adding a RD causes more problems.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
That's a good point about the expansion draft..Greene will be getting up there tho..what like 34 or 35? But I can't imagine he won't be protected.

I wouldn't. Greene is a fine player, however, highly overrated by Devil fans. You have to protect the young guys. I include Cammy and Zajac as players that should be left unprotected, unless they all have no trade clauses. Than we could be in trouble.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I wouldn't. Greene is a fine player, however, highly overrated by Devil fans. You have to protect the young guys. I include Cammy and Zajac as players that should be left unprotected, unless they all have no trade clauses. Than we could be in trouble.

who are the guys you are protecting then? I Could MAYBE get behind Cammalleri, but to say him AND Greene AND Zajac will be left unprotected is silliness.

List your 7 forwards you would protect.

Last edited:

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Cammalleri likely ends up unprotected, likely to meet the 25% salary quota.

As long as Greene is still one of our better defenders (and the captain) and Zajac is still our best defensive forward, I think they'd be pretty safe. There may be a possibility of him leaving Zajac out there to meet the 25% salary quota, but I would imagine a team would find someone more valuable in our organization.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
I'm really starting to like Demers while watching him for the Stars, but I have to agree I don't think it makes any sense. Considering it would likely take a longterm deal, it will just clog up the right side of our blue-line both now and for the foreseeable future. Given how young Larsson and Severson are and that our best two prospect defenders are also RD, we can't add a long-term player to that side.

That doesn't justify adding a RHD just to clog up that side of the blue line for the next 3+ years though.

Goligoski/Larrson
Greene/Severson
Moore/Schlemko
OR
Demers (OffSide)/Larrson
Greene/Severson
Moore/Schlemko

Santini-Hegelson-Mozik-Hrbarenka

If expansion goes through, deal with it then
Trade is a worst case scenario

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
who are the guys you are protecting then? I Could MAYBE get behind one of Cammalleri or Greene, but to say them AND Zajac will be left unprotected is silliness.

List your 7 forwards you would protect.

Well based on the rules, we would have to protect Clowe's NMC.

1. Clowe
2. Zajac
3. Cammalleri
4. Boucher
5. Henrique
6. DSP
7. ????

If we add another forward, he will likely be on that list. We'd also have to leave 25% of the previous year salary so I don't know how we would figure that one out. If its 2017, then all of the prospects that turned pro this season (2015-16) like Blandisi, Coleman, and Pietila aren't eligible. If it's in 2018, we may have to protect some of them. Not sure how that rule works on Wood/Santini who burned a year by playing in one game though.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Cammalleri likely ends up unprotected, likely to meet the 25% salary quota.

As long as Greene is still one of our better defenders (and the captain) and Zajac is still our best defensive forward, I think they'd be pretty safe. There may be a possibility of him leaving Zajac out there to meet the 25% salary quota, but I would imagine a team would find someone more valuable in our organization.

I still don't get how the league's going to reconcile the 25% quota along with having to protect NMC guys.

They don't currently HAVE seven forwards worthy of being protected, that's the thing with saying Zajac/Camm should be unprotected. It's not like their contracts are killing us anyway, people are obsessed with the Zajac contract but it hasn't been and isn't going to be a real factor for years.

Well based on the rules, we would have to protect Clowe's NMC.

1. Clowe
2. Zajac
3. Cammalleri
4. Boucher
5. Henrique
6. DSP
7. ????

If we add another forward, he will likely be on that list. We'd also have to leave 25% of the previous year salary so I don't know how we would figure that one out. If its 2017, then all of the prospects that turned pro this season (2015-16) like Blandisi, Coleman, and Pietila aren't eligible. If it's in 2018, we may have to protect some of them. Not sure how that rule works on Wood/Santini who burned a year by playing in one game though.

You forgot Palmieri. But other than that yeah that's pretty much the list. If they do add a forward DSP's the guy on the bubble they'll have to leave unprotected unless they have to leave one of the higher salaried guys off to meet the cap quota.

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Leaving Camm unprotected just makes sense. He will be another year older and definitely on the full decline and it helps meet that quota.

Odds are no one takes him though and it works out fine as we don't need to unload his contract.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Leaving Camm unprotected just makes sense. He will be another year older and definitely on the full decline and it helps meet that quota.

Odds are no one takes him though and it works out fine as we don't need to unload his contract.

Yeah but we should probably trade him this summer for a second round pick, some Matteau-like prospect and "insert another player with a contract that has two or three years left and an unfavorable salary". :sarcasm:

Yeah that's probably the best thing to do though. I say leave him and John Moore unprotected right off the bat. And then we'll worry about the rest from there.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Why do people thing Zacha needs a Czech to mentor him? Guy has been in NA for 2 years and speaks the language pretty well

I think it's because Elias is someone Zacha looked up to as a kid and we know Elias is a pro on and off the ice. So it's not that nobody else could mentor Zacha; it's more that Elias may be the most effective at imparting good lessons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad