Speculation: NJD Offseason Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I wonder if Edmonton would consider something like #11 + Santini for #4 overall?

They have a huge hole at RHD and we're already rather well situated with Larsson & Severson plus guys like Jacobs & Mozik in the pipeline.

It would be a tough pill to swallow but getting a forward like Dubois / Tkachuk would be huge for us.

Wouldn't you rather have a forward like Jost/Keller/Brown and keep Santini?

Over just Dubois or Tkachuk?

I like Tkachuk a lot but I think in Santini you have a pretty interesting style of D man that is pretty valuable and further along in development.

I don't know, I just think we can get a pretty decent player with our #11 overall with no need to give up anything?

Does anyone know the picks we have? I'd be more interested in trying to get back into the 1st at the back end with some of our other picks. Don't we have a bunch of 2nds and 3rds?

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey

I like Tkachuk a lot but I think in Santini you have a pretty interesting style of D man that is pretty valuable and further along in development.

I don't know, I just think we can get a pretty decent player with our #11 overall with no need to give up anything?

Does anyone know the picks we have? I'd be more interested in trying to get back into the 1st at the back end with some of our other picks. Don't we have a bunch of 2nds and 3rds?
Devils 3rd round pick belongs to Pittsburgh, Toronto has an option of giving the Devils a 3rd round pick between 2016-2018, Devils have the Senators and Red Wings third round picks, and boston's fourth round pick.

1-11
2-11
3-12
3-16
4-11
4-14
5-11
6-11
7-11

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Someone on the main board had asked if Chychrun is available at 11 and the draft breaks right and Boston offered 14 and 27 for 11 and 41 would you do it?

I think in order to do this the draft would need to break perfectly for the Devils. I would consider if at that point all three of Jost, Keller, and Brown are still sitting there.

Im sure lots of people will say run up and take Chychrun which i understand. Im just wondering peoples opinions on the matter.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US

The second tier of forwards such as Brown, Jost and Keller are all intriguing for sure, i'm by no means unhappy to end up with one of them.

But since we already have two tremendous young RHD in Larsson and Severson, plus a number of other interesting prospects, i'm not totally against the idea of moving Santini, even though i'm certain he'll be a solid NHL player.

We desperately need a gamebreakinig forward, I think Dubois could be that. I'm not so sure the same is true of Keller/Brown/Jost.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Someone on the main board had asked if Chychrun is available at 11 and the draft breaks right and Boston offered 14 and 27 for 11 and 41 would you do it?

I think in order to do this the draft would need to break perfectly for the Devils. I would consider if at that point all three of Jost, Keller, and Brown are still sitting there.

Im sure lots of people will say run up and take Chychrun which i understand. Im just wondering peoples opinions on the matter.

I don't think you can cup with a scenario where Chychrun, Jost, Keller and Brown are still on the board at #11? Can you?

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
I wonder if Edmonton would consider something like #11 + Santini for #4 overall?

They have a huge hole at RHD and we're already rather well situated with Larsson & Severson plus guys like Jacobs & Mozik in the pipeline.

It would be a tough pill to swallow but getting a forward like Dubois / Tkachuk would be huge for us.

Why make this move? IMO It's just making one for the sake of it.

The difference between Dubois/Tkachuk/Nylander & Jost/Keller/Brown is not great enough to do it. Yes, the first 3 names mentioned are projecting higher, but its not a huge talent gap like it is in other years in respect to the difference between 4 and 11 and the forwards that are going in that range. Santini also is probably not enough of an add at this point. We'd have to offer at least another pick and it'd probably be a 3rd or a future 2nd. The only positions worth moving up to in this particular draft IMO are top 3 and I don't think we're even close to strong enough in respect to talent depth to consider making a move to get into the top 3 b/c of asset cost. If we make moves we need to be adding picks or players in their early 20s that make sense for our team. That's why making that trade with Detroit to get the #16 by taking on Datsyuk's cap hit makes so much sense. That's almost certainly not going to happen, but thats the type of move we should make. If that Detroit move occurred, then its possible to consider moving up, but if its not top 3, its just not worth it in this particular draft. Talent gap is too close after 3.

We're going to need Santini if he's the real deal going forward. He's already at a point in development where we can see him paying some dividends sooner than later. Scoring a Jost/Keller/Brown would be a good grab for us and it doesn't cost legitimate assets to get one of em.

This is the type of move that I personally would hope is thought about long and hard if a player fell that Boston wanted. Its not a far drop to 14 and picking up another first is a plus. It just really would depend on what the board looked like at the time/who was available. Its not a stretch that Jost/Keller/Brown are all gone by 11. Its much less likely that happens, but its possible. We also don't know who our scouts are high on. We could have McLeod above them. The one thing about the 27 is that its a very late 1st and the talent gap does get more pronounced once we hit 22-23. There's just too many variables that have to play out before saying do it or don't. Hell, TSN's post-lottery mock has Brown going at 5 and Jost at 9. They have us taking Keller with Chychrun still on the board.

Last edited:

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
if Chychrun is there at 11 I take him, no doubt in my mind

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I can't wait to hear from Swede again in a few weeks now that the lottery is over to get some new insight.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Armia is better than Pietila and Coleman. The question is does he look like a top 9 forward and the answer is not really.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Armia is better than Pietila and Coleman. The question is does he look like a top 9 forward and the answer is not really.

Which was my point in the first place.

He's not much better than what we have and we already have DSP as a bottom six RW. Makes no sense to give up assets and a roster spot for Armia.

Devils need to be looking for prospects with higher scoring potential (Yakupov) instead of the NHL/AHL tweener forwards like Armia. The time to take a chance on the latter was last year when the majority of our prospects weren't ready for NHL time. Now we're going to have a ton of young kids in the AHL that could challenge for minutes.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
can anyone tell me why people love Blake Coleman so much?

Sure, because they only follow the Devils prospects and the Devils have had a hard time drafting four-year college forwards who put up the numbers Blake Coleman has, even though those by themselves are not indicative of future NHL success.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Sure, because they only follow the Devils prospects and the Devils have had a hard time drafting four-year college forwards who put up the numbers Blake Coleman has, even though those by themselves are not indicative of future NHL success.

May I ask how games have you ever seen Coleman play? My hunch is you've never once seen Coleman play. Correct me if I'm wrong.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
can anyone tell me why people love Blake Coleman so much?

From what I can gather it is ton's of energy good physicality and what looks like decent goal scoring ability.

the kind of guy who fit's the 4th line role, yet might actually put up some goal's in that role.

So it's not so much "this guy is going to be really good" but instead, "this guy could be a good 4th liner".

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
So it's not so much "this guy is going to be really good" but instead, "this guy could be a good 4th liner".

So in other words, he's a dime-a-dozen forward that you can find off the scrap heap at any point in the season just about.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
From what I can gather it is ton's of energy good physicality and what looks like decent goal scoring ability.

the kind of guy who fit's the 4th line role, yet might actually put up some goal's in that role.

I think Coleman has a much greater potential than a "4th liner". The description you gave I would say fits Pietila a little more than Coleman. I think Coleman compares more to Blandisi than Pietila.

I think they both play a similar style with slightly different attributes in that Coleman is more of a goal scorer and Blandisi is more of playmaker. I think Coleman is a smarter player but that just maybe age at this point. Blandisi is more creative with the puck and Coleman is a bit more North/South type player...but the differences are much more subtle in my opinion. I think Coleman is the better centerman and defensive player but again that might be age and refinement.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
So in other words, he's a dime-a-dozen forward that you can find off the scrap heap at any point in the season just about.

No I said a good 4th liner with what looks like decent goal scoring ability.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
No I said a good 4th liner with what looks like decent goal scoring ability.

So a 3rd liner then. A 'good 4th liner' is largely a fiction - there are some players who get 4th line ice time who are better than others, certainly, but usually they don't stay there.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I think Coleman has a much greater potential than a "4th liner". The description you gave I would say fits Pietila a little more than Coleman. I think Coleman compares more to Blandisi than Pietila.

I think they both play a similar style with slightly different attributes in that Coleman is more of a goal scorer and Blandisi is more of playmaker. I think Coleman is a smarter player but that just maybe age at this point. Blandisi is more creative with the puck and Coleman is a bit more North/South type player...but the differences are much more subtle in my opinion. I think Coleman is the better centerman and defensive player but again that might be age and refinement.

I've literally seen nothing besides highlights of Coleman, but his #'s suggest he has no where near the playmaking ability of Blandisi.

And while Blandisi is scrappy he's not exactly a physical player. I mean there is an element there, but it's hardly what defines him.

Blandisi also looks to be a pretty reluctant shooter, which I'm thinking is not Coleman.

So again have seen little of Coleman but I don't like that comparison.

As to his upside, I don't see much higher potential then good 4th line guy. Maybe a good 3rd liner? OK wouldn't be totally shocked, but anything above that seems to be dreaming.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
So a 3rd liner then. A 'good 4th liner' is largely a fiction - there are some players who get 4th line ice time who are better than others, certainly, but usually they don't stay there.

That speaks to the fluidity of players league wide and where they slot in. Is Malkin a 2nd line C? While Rico is a 1st line guy? Top 6 vs middle 6, vs bottom 6, I think it all can be pretty vague.

As per this situation specifically? One year at a time I guess.

But looking at the makeup of our prospect pool there are some young guys who I'd rather not start their NHL careers on the 4th line. Zacha, Wood's Blandisi Q? If those guys aren't top 9 I 'd rather they be in Albany or back in Jr's in Zacha's case.

But Coleman or Pietila? Early in their careers I'd be very cool with either coming in and filling that role.

If they are effective, then for that year they are good 4th liners, who maybe in subsequent years play more a mid 6 role to who knows what degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad