Confirmed Trade: [NJD/EDM] Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson ‎- Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Maybe we watch different Taylor Halls. He puts up points, great. I don't think he makes his team better. I know this because I constantly see the Oilers at the top of the lottery. I'm a Leafs fan and he reminds me a lot of Kessel. Great point producer, but never going to lead a team to the promise land. Kessel was fortunate to land on a team with 2 of the 5 best players in the league and he got a Cup. Hall is going to Jersey, we'll see how much better he makes them.

He doesn't just "put up points". Defences focus on him so much it opens up extra lanes for teammates, he's good along the boards, and he's an excellent passer/playmaker, one of the more underrated players in the league in this aspect. Can make plays at full speed. He's been getting better every year in every way.

Just because a team finishes at the bottom of the league, doesn't mean you can pin it on one player. Again, if you haven't noticed, the OILERS HAVE HAD THE WORST BLUELINE IN THE LEAGUE, like six years running. No puck moving D. No PP threat. Young team with no vets. Coaching carousel. Lots of injuries. But yes, let's put that on Hall.

NJ fans are going to love this guy. Put some RESPECK ON IT!

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
As soon as Puljujarvi dropped to 4th on Friday, they should've traded that pick. They would've gotten a FAR better dman in return and could've kept Hall.

Hell, they could've probably traded that pick to NJ and gotten the 11th+Larsson back for Puljujarvi while keeping Hall and drafting Chychrun or Fabbro.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Look. I see what you are saying but lets see what we have here.

Larsson should develop into a #1. A #2 at worst by time he is 25. Hes got excellent tools and is making huge strides.

Klefbom is an excellent young defender also on a great salary . Hes a #2 or #1 eventually.

Nurse is the most talented guy but the biggest risk reward . He could end up a bumbling #4 or a true franchise defender if he puts it all together.

Reinhart is a stay at home guy who in my opinion will reach top 4 status but may not.

I think we are ok for trades. We have Sekera and Davidson so we dont really need to shell out more assets for defenders unless a great deal drops in our laps. A UFA would be fine but only 1.

I think we could add another offensive Dman for sure, but I'm not sure that we're going to see RNH and Eberle dealt. If anything it would have to be one of our D + picks or prospects because we're not going to be able to protect all these Dmen in expansion.

Sekera
Klefbom
Larsson
Davidson
Reinhart

One of those D is already going to need to be exposed (although I'm not convinced there aren't better options from other teams) and if we added another D to that list we'd have to expose one that we don't want to. It all depends on what you think of Davidson though, this season will be a better indicator, but he sure as hell looked like a guy who could be a #3 or #2 one day if he keeps progressing.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
its as much about "culture change" as it is getting a defenseman

the losing culture was real

Good luck telling hf that. Ya know even though they been saying it ad naseum for years now. Edmonton goes out and does what hf has been saying to do and they get **** on for doing it. Edmonton made a move to be a better TEAM. Good on em,can't wait to see the playoff atmosphere there once again.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Greene - XXXX
Moore - Severson
Auvitu - Santini
Jacobs

NJD won this trade hands down from a player value standpoint but I wouldn't be shocked if this trade keeps Taylor Hall in the draft lottery the next few years. That's some ugly, ugly defense. Maybe Schultz follows Hall there.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
While Chiarelli is at it:

:edmonton
Gardiner

:leafs
Draisaitl.

Gardiner is comparable (if not better) than Larsson in terms of shot suppression and a superior possession player. Leafs get a good young forward.

PuckinGood

Jun 28, 2016
Edmonton
Personally I'm excited to see what Klefbom-Larsson can do on the 1 pairing d line.

Chiarelli now needs to sign Lucic to fill in halls spot. Lucic can easily get 50-60 points again playing with mcdavid, and lucic can also protect him.

Also chiarelli could sign demers to play on the 2nd pairing with Sekera.. but idk much about demers, I see alot of people bashing him, is there anything good about him?

SouthWest

Apr 16, 2013
Canada
As soon as Puljujarvi dropped to 4th on Friday, they should've traded that pick. They would've gotten a FAR better dman in return and could've kept Hall.

Hell, they could've probably traded that pick to NJ and gotten the 11th+Larsson back for Puljujarvi while keeping Hall and drafting Chychrun or Fabbro.

Um no, you don't think they explored the option of puljujari for larsson straight up? Let alone New Jersey adding?

Give your head a shake.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Greene - XXXX
Moore - Severson
Auvitu - Santini
Jacobs

NJD won this trade hands down from a player value standpoint but I wouldn't be shocked if this trade keeps Taylor Hall in the draft lottery the next few years. That's some ugly, ugly defense. Maybe Schultz follows Hall there.

The season doesn't start tomorrow.

Also, having Cory Schneider counts for something. I don't know how the Devils will fare next season, but I'm willing to bet we'll be more competitive. Whether that necessarily means we make the playoffs or not, I'm not sure.

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
Greene - XXXX
Moore - Severson
Auvitu - Santini
Jacobs

That might be why I feel that Edmonton made a good trade---if they use the lineup opening to sign Milan Lucic. Peter Chiarelli is being unfairly judged here.

jeblers

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
Hahahahaha. What a terrible trade for Edmonton. Did they even bother calling any other team? Could've gotten someone better like Tanev.

And on top of that they are close to signing Lucic for 7 years. Boy is that contract going to be terrible. :laugh::laugh:

I prefer to ship Hall out of the West even if people think Tanev is the better player. You guys did the same thing with Cory Schneider.

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
You think that Chia turned down better defensemen for Hall just to have people like you crap on the trade?

This trade took balls and as of today IMO the Oilers are a better team. If we also add Lucic no matter how you slice it we are better with Lucic + Larsson than we are with Hall.

Also we have a goalie and a good coach now so there will be no free for all's. I guess you didn't know that Dallas Eakins got canned?

Yeah I agree that, in terms if this trade being part of an overall strategy, you guys are certainly better by the weekend. Of course, based on what seems to be accurate reporting that Lucic will indeed sign.

Long term, I am not so convinced. But I am biased so there's that.

Truth is, Chia had to roll the dice sometime, because the rinse/repeat routine you guys have suffered through is completely unacceptable.

So all in all, it might make for some fierce Pacific Division games.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
I'm a sharks fan, and larsson looks better than vlasic did at the same age.

Jesus by the sounds of things oilers could of got vlasic for hall and still been pissed. I can already see t now.

"OMG THIS GUYS IS 30. How is that going to help us!!!!!"

Three years ago people were talking about a hall for OEL swap, and oilers fans wanted more. Well guess what, when talent dmen develop into their own, and enter as a top 30 dman, their value is insane. Now Arizona was laughing at the idea for a hall swap.

at some point you have to roll the dice: it's a good thing oilers management are willing to do this now after six years of sitting on their hands.

I agree and I am definitely OK with this trade. True, I think we should have got another prospect out of the Devils to make it a fair swap but we needed Larsson more than they needed Hall.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Oiler fans have really soured me on the team this past couple yr's on HF :laugh:

That being said I'm going to be following them closely this year. I loved Adam in Jersey, and yes I make this trade 10/10 times but I'll still miss him.

Don't worry we'll be watching Hall as well in Jersey. I hope that some of your D keep developing into great puck movers because we never got to watch Hall with good puck moving D which is such a shame. I'm going to miss his beautiful skating stride, just so much power in it. If there's one complaint I'd have for Hall its that he sometimes tries to force plays/do too much, and his shot. If he had a shot like Seguin or Benn he'd be in the conversation as the best LW in the game.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Did that anonymous poster that was vetted by HF call this one? Just curious because it seems like Hamonic was never on the table.

He basically said that Hamonic was still very open to heading out west. The offseason isn't over yet so for all you know Hamonic could still be traded elsewhere.

FWIW I did have another source tell me that Hall would be traded and that we were going to push hard for Lucic so it's worth listening to people and seeing how things play out when you are a mod.

SouthWest

Apr 16, 2013
Canada
Also chiarelli could sign demers to play on the 2nd pairing with Sekera.. but idk much about demers, I see alot of people bashing him, is there anything good about him?

He's a polarizing player, I liked him on the Sharks, he's heads up and a sound passer. Others hate him because he can make bone head plays at times (like most offensively minded dmen) and isn't physical.

I think he would slot in nicely on the oilers second pair.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
I won't pretend I don't feel that Edmonton got hosed a little bit and shouldn't have at least gotten some sort of pick in the deal, but as someone who's seen a lot of Larsson, he's a legit defenseman and he gets a little better every season. Edmonton saves amost 2M per season and gets an extra year on the contract and it's a RHD too, one of the rarer commodities in the league. Both teams filled a major need here.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
on the oiler board we have a game called flame away at JTS

When I was in Russia at the worlds--Someone who I have known for years and now works for an NHL club as a senior scout had the every team asking for Hall and not coming off of it. The Oilersm he said asked for Hamonic, Strome and a first for Hall--about 2 hours before the Hall trade broke, he sent me a text saying the NYI were not coming off of asking for Klefbom to be included

Oilers were backed into a corner and it sounds like every team Chia pet called asking for a D--the asking price started with Hall

Some will say the ducks could have done better--but that is under the assumption that they wont be able to keep Lindholm--Ducks are trying to move Fowler 2 years left on his contract and give that money to Lindholm--

Would the oilers fans be happy with Fowler for 2 years for Hall?

There were a lot worse deals out there then the one the oilers took

No we don't and get over yourself seriously . :laugh:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The season doesn't start tomorrow.

Also, having Cory Schneider counts for something. I don't know how the Devils will fare next season, but I'm willing to bet we'll be more competitive. Whether that necessarily means we make the playoffs or not, I'm not sure.

I wish it did. I'm not looking forward to two months of hearing about this trade :laugh:

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Funny how after drafts people think a guy they picked early will be there long term. The entire top 6 of the 2010 draft are already on different teams, lirl.

SouthWest

Apr 16, 2013
Canada
I agree and I am definitely OK with this trade. True, I think we should have got another prospect out of the Devils to make it a fair swap but we needed Larsson more than they needed Hall.

If the Devils added a second is this still a **** storm?

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
While Chiarelli is at it:

:edmonton
Gardiner

:leafs
Draisaitl.

Gardiner is comparable (if not better) than Larsson in terms of shot suppression and a superior possession player. Leafs get a good young forward.

Pretty sure Chia values Draisaitl more than Hall. We had enough surplus to part with one forward, I'm not sure we'll be parting with another, and if we did it would be Nuge or Eberle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad