Confirmed Trade: [NJD/EDM] Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson ‎- Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
Did you ever play hockey yourself?

Ever play with someone that could score goals or had offensive talent, but was extremely frustrating to play with on your line? Someone that gave the puck up a ton, you needed to hold back yourself in order to cover because if you didn't it was always a 3 on two back the other way? Someone that was unpredictable, would throw picks all over the ice and you're just thinking to yourself "what the **** is this guy doing?"

That guy is Taylor hall.

I'm almost positive in the oilers exit interview this spring they asked a question like, "who do you think you would be most successful with on your line next year?"

I'm willing to bet no one said they'd like to play with hall.

Draisaitl....

Last edited by a moderator:

Internazionale

Apr 24, 2007
Airdrie, AB
I expect more maturity from the players in a difficult situation. Hall pouted the entire time. The locker room will benefit. Hall is a fantastic player, but I can see where they're coming from with this trade. They want a change. And to get a fantastic young d-man who's a rock defensively is something Oilers fans should be happy with... You're not going ANYWHERE in the west with purely offence.

Again that's what happens when you have too many top talent kids in the room, and you don't win anything. McLellan did a better job this past year, but it still wasn't good enough. No doubt Edmonton need to shore up the Defense, this is just a bad hockey trade. Larsson will be under the microscope early on, and Hall just had a huge weight lifted off his shoulder.

Bread and Circuses

Smile and wave.
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2010
Somewhere in the middle
Living in NJ I will def buy a partial season ticket plan this year after that deal. Going to love watching Hall

Jersey represent!

PM me if you are interested in only a certain amount of games I may be able to help you by putting you in touch with another HF'er who is a long time Devils STH. He / his family can't attend every game and has hooked me up with anywhere from 2 to 5 seats for an average 5 to 15 games or so over the last 5 seasons at a very fair price per seat.

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007
Lol the Islanders have to play Hall six times a year now. Good.

I really don't think much of this trade. I guess Lucic and Larsson in, Hall out is a net gain, but boy are we banking hard on Larsson.

It's good that you can laugh during this trying time.

So Hamonic ++++++++++++? :laugh:

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Again that's what happens when you have too many top talent kids in the room, and you don't win anything. McLellan did a better job this past year, but it still wasn't good enough. No doubt Edmonton need to shore up the Defense, this is just a bad hockey trade. Larsson will be under the microscope early on, and Hall just had a huge weight lifted off his shoulder.

Purely value wise NJ definitely wins, but I don't mind the Oilers giving up value here to get what they need. They're a harder team to play against with this trade, imo.

What's funny though is Oilers fans were scoffing at Puljujarvi for Tanev, who's better than Larsson. Shows you how much value these guys have around the league.

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014
I feel bad now. Edmonton fans are just borderline insane at this point. Yes, klefblom-larsson is an excellent top pairing.

#itsgettingbad

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I feel for Taylor.
All these years losing in Edmonton and now he gets traded. Normally a happy day for the kid but it's to the armpit of the NHL.

Reactions: Rgani1488

Whiston532

Dec 27, 2010
Edmonton
It's not ideal. It's maybe not even good depending on how both guys turn out. But a lot of people especially here in Edmonton are making this trade out to be the Holocaust of trades. And that's silly. We got something we needed at the cost of something we can atleast partially replace.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
No way Larsson reaches Vlasic. Vlasic has been a top shut down d man since year 1, improving steadily over time.

No way Subban gets traded. No way Gretzky gets traded. No way some 7th round pick named Joe Pavel..ski? No way that guy does anything.

Even after today, not to mention the rest of history, people can still say no way in a very confident way. Nobody has any true idea of what level Larsson, or anyone else, may or may not reach in the future. Was Vlasic even supposed to be Vlasic? 12 defensemen were picked ahead of him.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I think we definitely should have been able to get some additions on top of Larsson, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it. If we add Lucic in free agency then this summer still leaves us as a much better team than we were last year and if we can get a little more luck in the health department the team should make some big strides next year. I'd like Chia to add another offensive D if possible, but we'll see what happens. Either way I'm not going to complain of an offseason where we lost Hall, but added Puljujarvi, Larsson, Caggiula, and possibly Lucic with the potential for more changes coming.

I always find it funny how bipolar this site is. Everyone complains for years that the Oilers are just accumulating forwards because they're afraid to lose value, then they make a trade for a Dman where they lose value and people are still complaining lol.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Oilers fans reaction to this trade is puzzling. You traded a gifted scoring winger; the easiest position to fill in exchange for a young RHD, the toughest position to fill.

Hall is going to put up points, but he's led the team to the bottom of the league year after year. At worst they they got a 2nd pair D, and you hope he turns into a solid top pairing D when all is said and done.

The comments about better trades being out there is just ignorant. If there were better trades for better dmen, they would have done those deals instead.

For Jersey they get a big time scorer, which they need, so the trade works for them too.

GardinerExpressway

Mar 19, 2011
Sydney, Australia
Can somebody clear something up for me?

If Lucic verbally said to the Oilers he would sign on July 1, it's still within his right to change his mind correct? As long as he hasn't put pen to paper?

Absolutely. While verbal contracts are binding, agreeing in principle is not a binding contract since there has been no passing of valuable consideration. The business practicalities in sports always contemplate a deal being made in writing, so until there is pen-to-paper as you put it, there is not contract on-foot.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Totally neutral fan here with no investment in either team. I am going to take a stab at defending Chiarelli.

I think he knew he would have to take some sort of loss to get a defensemen. Hall is surprising, no doubt, and Larsson is no Doughty or Keith, but...

It would be impossible for Edmonton to move forward without acquiring a D similar to Larsson. One of that old core had to go, it was glaringly obvious. Chia made an unpopular move but that takes courage, gotta give him that.

He had to take the pain and get it over with, waiting would have served no purpose. Reminds me of the screaming Leafs fans had last year around Kessell and that return.

But it had to be done. If Larsson continues to improve, it evens out in couple seasons.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I feel bad now. Edmonton fans are just borderline insane at this point. Yes, klefblom-larsson is an excellent top pairing.

#itsgettingbad

Agree with this. Larsson is leading some defensive statistics from 2014-16 Zdeno Chara did lead 2009-11 with a 2-year example. No wonder Chiarelli trades for him. It's a Chiarelli plan. Defence before offence, is that something to eat?

This trade started the rise of the Edmonton Oilers.

You can already book it.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
This is one of those trades where Edmonton loses the battle but wins the war IMO. Value favors NJ, but Edmonton is a better team by adding Larsson.

GardinerExpressway

Mar 19, 2011
Sydney, Australia
Yeah of course, it's just unethical.

I don't even think it's unethical ... this is a business circumstance, both sides are acting at arms' length and with advice of counsel (my supposition, but comeon ofc they have lawyers on both sides). Everyone knows there is no actual contract on-foot until the contract is signed, and is perfectly entitled to walk away before then. The Oilers could retract their offer by the same token so long as it had not been formally accepted (i.e. signed).

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Oilers fans reaction to this trade is puzzling. You traded a gifted scoring winger; the easiest position to fill in exchange for a young RHD, the toughest position to fill.

Hall is going to put up points, but he's led the team to the bottom of the league year after year. At worst they they got a 2nd pair D, and you hope he turns into a solid top pairing D when all is said and done.

The comments about better trades being out there is just ignorant. If there were better trades for better dmen, they would have done those deals instead.

For Jersey they get a big time scorer, which they need, so the trade works for them too.

This is the main reason that I've kind of warmed up to the trade after the initial shock. Most teams including contenders do not have elite players at every spot in their top 6. The Oilers still have McDavid an already superstar 1C, Draisaitl an already 2C with potential to be a 2-way #1C, Eberle an above average top line winger, Puljujarvi a projected top line 2-way winger, RNH a 2-way high end #2C with #1 upside, potentially Lucic who is still a top line winger, Pouliot a low to middle of the pack 2nd line winger (or at least he has been in Edmonton), and Yakupov who still might figure it out and become a 2nd liner someday if he sticks around.

Yes losing Hall stings because he is our 2nd best offensive player behind McDavid, but its not like we have completely gutted our forward group or anything. Its fairly easy to find wingers that can fit in with very skilled centres, which we are in no shortage of.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
so when are the oilers going to get that number 1 Dman?

they gave up an NHL top 6 LW and still didn't get what they were gunning for...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->