Confirmed Trade: [NJD/EDM] Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson ‎- Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Oilers fans reaction to this trade is puzzling. You traded a gifted scoring winger; the easiest position to fill in exchange for a young RHD, the toughest position to fill.

Hall is going to put up points, but he's led the team to the bottom of the league year after year. At worst they they got a 2nd pair D, and you hope he turns into a solid top pairing D when all is said and done.

The comments about better trades being out there is just ignorant. If there were better trades for better dmen, they would have done those deals instead.

For Jersey they get a big time scorer, which they need, so the trade works for them too.

Hall is one of the best players in the league on a major value deal, a player who makes everyone around him better, scoring chance generating machine against toughest competition, skates like the wind and will literally put his head through a brick wall to get the job done, and you don't need to ask him.

Also, the best PMD he had during his entire career in Edmonton was probably Jeff Petry. He consistently had the worst blue line in the league every year for 6 seasons, with nobody to get him the puck almost the entire time.

I really hope he gets more appreciation playing out East now, and that NJ fans cherish this player, even with all his flaws. I understand that young, talented, high pedigree RH blueliners are at an extreme premium, but the Devils won this deal walking away and it's not close. Seriously.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Not a fan of Hall, but damn Edmonton could've gotten a much better defenseman for him. Just how good do they think this kid will be away from the Devils' system and into a free-for-all in Edmonton? :shakehead

jrmysell

Feb 7, 2015
St. Kitts
Reading this thread shows me that very few people actually watch any hockey that isn't their favorite team. People are saying Larsson MAY end up a second line D...

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
so when are the oilers going to get that number 1 Dman?

they gave up an NHL top 6 LW and still didn't get what they were gunning for...

Well they don't come available very often unless you have a #1D to send back their way or they demand a trade. So I think we'll just have to settle with what we have and hope that guys like Klefbom, Larsson, Nurse, Davidson and Reinhart continue to develop into a combination good enough to live without a #1. Not everyone can get lucky with a late 2nd rounder turning into a #1.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
"Spec" was not trolling, that is a perfectly legitimate point to raise when a top-3 Winger is traded for a D-Man who is not "sexy" as Chia said himself.

Hopefully Larsson is the guy for them, they need him to be. This was not a trade for a quick fix, even if Larsson makes them better tomorrow, this was a move for the long haul and only time will tell whether it was worth it.

But today, on paper, it looks like a looooooong reach and huge risk for Chia.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Are you just upset we didn't get fleeced by you guys again?

Our motto is Spider Man's, apparently. Everybody gets one.

The whining from Islander fans is getting tiresome. You got yours with the Reinhart deal.

Haha, interacting with you is always a trip. You never own up to anything ever even when you were dead wrong.

Not upset at all, I never wanted Hall and actually dreaded a possible deal where we traded Hamonic for him. I will admit that I did enjoy the shadenfreude when this deal went down though.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Are you just upset we didn't get fleeced by you guys again?

Our motto is Spider Man's, apparently. Everybody gets one.

The whining from Islander fans is getting tiresome. You got yours with the Reinhart deal.

I think most of them are making fun of you, but if you want to call it "whining" sure. If a compilation of all the asks you had for Hall were put together for us to review, it is outright comedy compared to what he returned.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I think you guys should ship out RNH for another D. I am assuming Lucic comes in to provide some size and protection. I would be scared about signing Demers to huge money, but he would help. Long term I think both of those signings will look bad, but you need to move forward.

If the Oilers end up with Larsson, Demers, Lucic, and another D for Hall and RNH, I think they challenge fir a playoff spot.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
Purely value wise NJ definitely wins, but I don't mind the Oilers giving up value here to get what they need. They're a harder team to play against with this trade, imo.

What's funny though is Oilers fans were scoffing at Puljujarvi for Tanev, who's better than Larsson. Shows you how much value these guys have around the league.

He isnt, and is noticeably older than Larsson.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
"Spec" was not trolling, that is a perfectly legitimate point to raise when a top-3 Winger is traded for a D-Man who is not "sexy" as Chia said himself.

Hopefully Larsson is the guy for them, they need him to be. This was not a trade for a quick fix, even if Larsson makes them better tomorrow, this was a move for the long haul and only time will tell whether it was worth it.

But today, on paper, it looks like a looooooong reach and huge risk for Chia.

Thats weird, HF has been telling us for the past year that Hall is not even a top 5LW or a top 10 winger and is always injured and can't play defence and is a cancer and has no hockey IQ.

Now don't get me wrong I love Taylor Hall and he's somewhere in the middle of the 2 extremes of some Oilers fans calling him a top 3 winger and others saying he's not even a top 10 LW, but Hall is not a perfect player. His 2-way game is average, but I liked the strides he made on it last season even though he will never be good in that category. He's definitely an elite 5v5 offensive player, but he's not a great power play player by any means (although part of that was due to a lack of a competent PP QB).

The deal favours NJ in value no doubt, but Larsson is no slouch either and is still young enough and possesses enough tools that he could add enough offence with our forwards to become a 2-way D. His defensive game is already easily capable of top pairing assignments.

DevilsFanInFla

Feb 28, 2014
As a Devils fan I love this deal. I also hope Larsson goes on to become the #1 Dman for Edmonton. He got a real rough start in NJ under DeBoer and I've always been a fan of his. Great character, team player, and a solid Dman who hasn't reached his potential yet. If he does, it's a fair trade. If he doesn't, NJ wins big. I didn't think Shero could swing Hall at all, let alone for Larsson straight up but I sincerely hope it works for both teams. Larsson doesn't need to get jerked around more and I'll certainly root for the best for him as long as it isn't against us :)

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
While you're at it be sure to put some of the garbage put out there from you guys, such as Boychuk and spare parts.

Don't pretend that in an alternate universe where Eberle got traded straight up for Hamonic today you wouldn't have reached levels of smugness that make Kanye West seem humble by comparison.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Hall is one of the best players in the league on a major value deal, a player who makes everyone around him better, scoring chance generating machine against toughest competition, skates like the wind and will literally put his head through a brick wall to get the job done, and you don't need to ask him.

Also, the best PMD he had during his entire career in Edmonton was probably Jeff Petry. He consistently had the worst blue line in the league every year for 6 seasons, with nobody to get him the puck almost the entire time.

I really hope he gets more appreciation playing out East now, and that NJ fans cherish this player, even with all his flaws. I understand that young, talented, high pedigree RH blueliners are at an extreme premium, but the Devils won this deal walking away and it's not close. Seriously.

Maybe we watch different Taylor Halls. He puts up points, great. I don't think he makes his team better. I know this because I constantly see the Oilers at the top of the lottery. I'm a Leafs fan and he reminds me a lot of Kessel. Great point producer, but never going to lead a team to the promise land. Kessel was fortunate to land on a team with 2 of the 5 best players in the league and he got a Cup. Hall is going to Jersey, we'll see how much better he makes them.

Reactions: PensandCaps

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
Just got back from a long day to read about this and oh my goodness Edmonton got treated worse than Eric Cartman's mother in a German movie

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
I think you guys should ship out RNH for another D. I am assuming Lucic comes in to provide some size and protection. I would be scared about signing Demers to huge money, but he would help. Long term I think both of those signings will look bad, but you need to move forward.

If the Oilers end up with Larsson, Demers, Lucic, and another D for Hall and RNH, I think they challenge fir a playoff spot.

Look. I see what you are saying but lets see what we have here.

Larsson should develop into a #1. A #2 at worst by time he is 25. Hes got excellent tools and is making huge strides.

Klefbom is an excellent young defender also on a great salary . Hes a #2 or #1 eventually.

Nurse is the most talented guy but the biggest risk reward . He could end up a bumbling #4 or a true franchise defender if he puts it all together.

Reinhart is a stay at home guy who in my opinion will reach top 4 status but may not.

I think we are ok for trades. We have Sekera and Davidson so we dont really need to shell out more assets for defenders unless a great deal drops in our laps. A UFA would be fine but only 1.

rodney dangerfield

Dec 8, 2015
Is that your new motto now? I guess you can't use your typical 'Taylor Hall could easily return a much better defenseman than Hamonic' or 'it would require a substantial plus to Hamonic'.

Just accept the Oilers valued Larsson over Hamonic. Like, we get it Hamonic is better and he souldve gotten you guys Hall. Maybe you will get a legit winger to play with Tavares before he bolts next summer.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Not a fan of Hall, but damn Edmonton could've gotten a much better defenseman for him. Just how good do they think this kid will be away from the Devils' system and into a free-for-all in Edmonton? :shakehead

You think that Chia turned down better defensemen for Hall just to have people like you crap on the trade?

This trade took balls and as of today IMO the Oilers are a better team. If we also add Lucic no matter how you slice it we are better with Lucic + Larsson than we are with Hall.

Also we have a goalie and a good coach now so there will be no free for all's. I guess you didn't know that Dallas Eakins got canned?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Did your inside sources see this one coming? Or was it only confined to Hamonic?

on the oiler board we have a game called flame away at JTS

When I was in Russia at the worlds--Someone who I have known for years and now works for an NHL club as a senior scout had the every team asking for Hall and not coming off of it. The Oilersm he said asked for Hamonic, Strome and a first for Hall--about 2 hours before the Hall trade broke, he sent me a text saying the NYI were not coming off of asking for Klefbom to be included

Oilers were backed into a corner and it sounds like every team Chia pet called asking for a D--the asking price started with Hall

Some will say the ducks could have done better--but that is under the assumption that they wont be able to keep Lindholm--Ducks are trying to move Fowler 2 years left on his contract and give that money to Lindholm--

Would the oilers fans be happy with Fowler for 2 years for Hall?

There were a lot worse deals out there then the one the oilers took

Bread and Circuses

Smile and wave.
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2010
Somewhere in the middle

Devils got the upside in the trade for sure but I'm pretty familiar with Larsson and honestly think he will be consistent top pairing D man in 2/3 years.

BigTruzz

Jul 19, 2011
Surrey
Hahahahaha. What a terrible trade for Edmonton. Did they even bother calling any other team? Could've gotten someone better like Tanev.

And on top of that they are close to signing Lucic for 7 years. Boy is that contract going to be terrible. :laugh::laugh:

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
Just as a addendum to this trade, but perhaps the drop-off of Hall's play int he second half of the season had something to do with this? Just throwing that out there.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Just accept the Oilers valued Larsson over Hamonic. Maybe you will get a legit winger to play with Tavares before he bolts next summer.

Larsson is younger and cheaper (IIRC) and has had less injuries (again IIRC). That said Hamonic is tougher. The added bonus with Larsson is that he is a Swede and should be a great partner for Klefbom.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Just as a addendum to this trade, but perhaps the drop-off of Hall's play int he second half of the season had something to do with this? Just throwing that out there.

It was crap to watch for sure. The Hall of 3-4 years ago wouldn't have done that, IMO a change of scenery was likely needed for the player and the team.

SouthWest

Apr 16, 2013
Canada
Even after today, not to mention the rest of history, people can still say no way in a very confident way. Nobody has any true idea of what level Larsson, or anyone else, may or may not reach in the future. Was Vlasic even supposed to be Vlasic? 12 defensemen were picked ahead of him.

I'm a sharks fan, and larsson looks better than vlasic did at the same age.

Jesus by the sounds of things oilers could of got vlasic for hall and still been pissed. I can already see t now.

"OMG THIS GUYS IS 30. How is that going to help us!!!!!"

Three years ago people were talking about a hall for OEL swap, and oilers fans wanted more. Well guess what, when talent dmen develop into their own, and enter as a top 30 dman, their value is insane. Now Arizona was laughing at the idea for a hall swap.

at some point you have to roll the dice: it's a good thing oilers management are willing to do this now after six years of sitting on their hands.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Larsson is younger and cheaper (IIRC) and has had less injuries (again IIRC). That said Hamonic is tougher. The added bonus with Larsson is that he is a Swede and should be a great partner for Klefbom.

Did that anonymous poster that was vetted by HF call this one? Just curious because it seems like Hamonic was never on the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad