Player Discussion: Nikolaj Ehlers Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I love to watch Ehler's play - he's such an electric player, and when he's rolling , he get's the whole team up, with his enthusiasim--he's the heart and soul of the Jets. Also has that blazing speed, and hard accurate shot- " Nik is the whole package."

I think he has the same upside as Kane for the Hawks--very similar players- both smaller, fast, and both have a hard accurate shot. Both great scorers !!!

I can certainly see Nik finishing in the Top 5 in scoring in the NHL, over the next 3-4 years, and I'd love to see him win the scoring title-"the talent is there."

Not to mention we have him signed "long term"(6-7 years) at a very reasonable contract price. Way to go Chevy for managing these salaries-"right on."

As TSN sports analyst Craig Button was saying ( and I agree) because Chevy has managed contracts of big players so well ( Sceif, Ehlers etc.) we are able to keep guys like Perrault, because we have the Cap space--thanks to a shrewd money manager like Chevy-- most teams have to let these kind of guys go--"no cap space" This is critical to keep these "upper middle players." They win us games !!!

Last edited:

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
The JETS forward group is stack for years to come.

Schiefele
Laine
Ehlers
Lowry
Connor
Roslovic
Lemiuex
Copp

That's 8 top 9 players

GREAT YEARS ahead.
Hope JETS get some D help, as the DCORE is on the older side.
Unless Morrissey becomes that minute munching anchor we will need.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
He is scoring more than id imagine, more than he is assisting. Wonder why that is?

Did people overrate his passing skills and underrate his shot?

Reactions: GNP

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
He is scoring more than id imagine, more than he is assisting. Wonder why that is?

If you look at his pre NHL numbers he has always been a "shooter" with the ability to pass. I also thought he would end up more as a playmaker after his first two seasons but this year has flipped that on his head. It's funny how everyone criticizes him for not passing while he is tied for most goals on the team and has by far the most 5v5 goals.

Reactions: ImGoingNucks

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

IDK -- he's always been a sniper with excellent vision too. I reckon that if he had Wheeler's spot on the PP, or were playing with another Ehlers-like speedster who could keep up with him, he'd have a lot more assists.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
He has definitely always liked to score goals... also love those 11 pro games as a 16-year-old (at the time the youngest player to ever play in the Swiss league).

Screen Shot 2017-12-20 at 11.10.48 AM.png

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
I'm also really excited to see what he can do in the playoffs. Before he made the league it always seemed he was able to find an extra gear in the PO's (especially in Halifax). Fun fact: In 14/15 he won playoff scoring race even though his team was knocked out in the 2nd round.

Screen Shot 2017-12-20 at 11.16.49 AM.png

Reactions: SLAYER

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Oh ofc, he has always had a good shot, but in Halifax he looked super strong with his playmaking abilities.
Especially in his second season where he had a worse team to play with.

Reactions: DashingDane

Nickel eye Heel hers

Happy thoughts
Feb 12, 2016
granola island, BC
It's just you and me buddy ;) Maybe we should just start writing in Danish :sarcasm:

Ehlers is the only Jersey I own, and he is my favourite player by a landslide. I don't feel the need to always praise him against detractors because his on ice play does all the talking. The kid is a beast at 21 and is only going to get better. Happy he is a Jet.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Ehlers is the only Jersey I own, and he is my favourite player by a landslide. I don't feel the need to always praise him against detractors because his on ice play does all the talking. The kid is a beast at 21 and is only going to get better. Happy he is a Jet.

It was more in jest:) I know that most Jets fans really like Ehlers a lot. Side note, my only Jets jersey is also with Ehlers though I really want a Armia jersey.

Outside of the now closed Laine thread there really isn't that much individual player talk going on in general. But I definitely do look for ways to bump this thread when I see it slip more that two pages back :laugh:

Reactions: ImGoingNucks

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
btw, I know I shared this waaaay back when he was drafted, but just fell over it again, and thought many hadn't seen it.

Kevin Fiala, and Ehlers are childhood friends, and played Jr. allstar hockey together in SUI.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
That's great! Incredible how similar his style looks today. That fake clapper is my favorite.

both he and Fiala are lightyears ahead of their peers, and seem to find each other on ice all the time - Maybe they still have some of that consistency? Always been high on Fiala, he would be more than welcome here:D

And yes, Ehlers looks like himself, same insane edgework and speed already as a 13 year old.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
It sucks to know that a 13 year old is definitely 100x better at hockey than I'll ever be. damn

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Ithink Connor and #55 are the only Jets who can really match NE's speed.

Agree! It's crazy how fast and elusive he is. I wonder if he is the fastest skater in the league? Of the top of my head McJesus, MacKinnon and Larkin are the only ones I can think of that would give him a run for his money...

Reactions: GNP
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino