Player Discussion: Nikolaj Ehlers Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Ehlers is the key to the Jet's success this year, and brings a lot of enthusiasm and is a great team player, and his spirit lifts the team. He's likely the most all around talented guy on the Jets. He had goals in their last 2 games, and without them, we may have lost.

The only "downside" right now to Nik's game is that he has lulls and sort of can disappear for a couple of periods or a couple of games. He was flying against Minnesota in period 1, but I hardly noticed him in the second period.

I think he just needs to focus on consistency, and if he can do that-"look out" . To me he's the best player on the Jets.

Sperss1997

Oct 29, 2015
Aarhus
I remember that Garret wrote an article about Ehlers. He did not have many secondary assists compared to goals and primary assists. This season Ehlers had his first secondary assist in game 12!!
I hope we soon will see Lowry and Perrault back, so ELL line can be broken up. They do not find chemistry and iirc they didnt work last year either.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
I remember that Garret wrote an article about Ehlers. He did not have many secondary assists compared to goals and primary assists. This season Ehlers had his first secondary assist in game 12!!
I hope we soon will see Lowry and Perrault back, so ELL line can be broken up. They do not find chemistry and iirc they didnt work last year either.

He definitely hasn't been lucky with secondary scoring historically but this season he doesn't have a lot of apples in general :laugh: It's kind of opposite from last season where he couldn't by a goal if his life depended on it.

I wouldn't mind if they broke ELL up and I wouldn't mind if they didn't. There is too much quality for them not to figure it out at some point. As long as the team is winning I'm not too concerned.

I've really liked his pp game in the last two games. I thought he was really bad at it last season because he would loose the puck too often. Hopefully he can build off these last couple of games and eventually earn a spot on pp 1!

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
He definitely hasn't been lucky with secondary scoring historically but this season he doesn't have a lot of apples in general :laugh: It's kind of opposite from last season where he couldn't by a goal if his life depended on it.

I wouldn't mind if they broke ELL up and I wouldn't mind if they didn't. There is too much quality for them not to figure it out at some point. As long as the team is winning I'm not too concerned.

I've really liked his pp game in the last two games. I thought he was really bad at it last season because he would loose the puck too often. Hopefully he can build off these last couple of games and eventually earn a spot on pp 1!

I agree with the Dane here on Nik's power play activity. He was "controlling" the play in the offensive zone, with smooth stick handling, and it bought time for players to get open.

I think Ehlers should be used on all power plays, as he has that rare ability to skate the puck in with possession, and allows for the PP to set up.

Reactions: ImGoingNucks

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I think if the ELL line is to explode, they need more than 15mins a night!

I feel like these 3 are getting a little underrated on behalf of CSW.

Reactions: Jetsfareast

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think if the ELL line is to explode, they need more than 15mins a night!

I feel like these 3 are getting a little underrated on behalf of CSW.
If they explode they will get more than 15 minutes. They have averaged 17 minutes a night so far this season, and likely get a little bump up from that if they catch fire.

Reactions: ImGoingNucks

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
That ice last night was horrible, the puck was flopping every where, making it tough for players like Ehlers.

I am beginning to see what some say, Ehlers and Laine are not clicking at the moment.

Some say they think Ehlers is a liability in his own zone, I dont agree, I see improvement.

And especially one poster critisized his boardwork, once again I disagree.

I think its time to change up the lines again, the 1st line struggled last night against a not so impressive habs 1st line.

Not impressed with KC, basically just dumped the puck all the time.
Swap Ehlers with KC, and possible Laine with Wheeler, just for a game or two.

Reactions: Ippenator

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
The big thing for Ehlers is to avoid the big scoring slumps he has had the first 2 seasons. He can take another jump in points this year if he does that.

Agree. It's nice to see them going in for him at the moment. But I really would have no issues with him getting less pts if it means him getting better in other areas of the game. He has a long way to go but I still believe he can end up as a ppg player.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
He still needs more icetime.

I still think its a little unfair that KC not only took his spot on the 1st line but also on the 1st pp.

Not alot of toi so far in tonights game.

So far its impressive he has kept his pts up, but I suspect he will hit slumps with limited toi and sometimes very little pp, since pp1 usually eats most of the pp.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I still think its a little unfair that KC not only took his spot on the 1st line but also on the 1st pp.

So far its impressive he has kept his pts up, but I suspect he will hit slumps with limited toi and sometimes very little pp, since pp1 usually eats most of the pp.

The season will have its ebbs and flows....he is one of the top young assets on this team and I don’t really worry too much about the line blending....change is constant with PMo.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
The season will have its ebbs and flows....he is one of the top young assets on this team and I don’t really worry too much about the line blending....change is constant with PMo.

For sure..

Change used to be a constant with PoMo, even when lines did well - But top 6 has been a constant now for 7-8 games along with the pp1.

But he didnt really do anything wrong, he even produced, then BAM, DEMOTED to the 2nd line with pretty reduced icetime, taken off the 1st pp, even less toi.

No secret that im a huge Ehlers fan boy, and find it more than unfair KC has taken his spot. (Doesnt help Ehlers seems a tad underrated on here)

We are winning yeah, and no complaints there, but imo this could hurt Ehlers long term.

At least Laine is seeing pp1.

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
For sure..

Change used to be a constant with PoMo, even when lines did well - But top 6 has been a constant now for 7-8 games along with the pp1.

But he didnt really do anything wrong, he even produced, then BAM, DEMOTED to the 2nd line with pretty reduced icetime, taken off the 1st pp, even less toi.

No secret that im a huge Ehlers fan boy, and find it more than unfair KC has taken his spot. (Doesnt help Ehlers seems a tad underrated on here)

We are winning yeah, and no complaints there, but imo this could hurt Ehlers long term.

At least Laine is seeing pp1.

I love Ehlers he is such a fun player to watch. Right now I don’t mind Connor getting time with the first line, he is a rookie and they seem to be sheltering him a bit while he chips in. Jets with Connor in the top six helps spread out the highest end talent a bit and I know it is causing some suboptimal usage for Ehlers right now but I don’t expect that too last.

I know it might appear Nik is getting lost in the noise but I am a monster fan of his game breaking skills.

Reactions: GNP

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles

I’d also like to see both Laine and Ehlers get more toi! I don’t think it’s unfair that Connor is up though. He has been playing hard and it’s probably the most sheltered transition any skilled rookie could have considering his line mates. If Connor had taken the qb position on pp1 you would hear me complaining as well :laugh: but Ehlers can’t play in front of the net. He is competing with Wheeler for pp1 time as far as i can tell and that’s not easy with how Cap is currently playing. Ehlers has looked kind of lazy the last couple of games and isn’t hard on the puck. He needs to pick it up imo. I’m not a fan of the 2nd line either but it’s hard to complain when the team is winning. I’m sure it will change with a loss or two.

Still have full faith in Mr. Ehlite and his qualities. If someone could just ask PMo to spread out the toi over the top 6 I’d greatly appreciate it :nod:

Reactions: GNP and Jaska

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I’d also like to see both Laine and Ehlers get more toi! I don’t think it’s unfair that Connor is up though. He has been playing hard and it’s probably the most sheltered transition any skilled rookie could have considering his line mates. If Connor had taken the qb position on pp1 you would hear me complaining as well :laugh: but Ehlers can’t play in front of the net. He is competing with Wheeler for pp1 time as far as i can tell and that’s not easy with how Cap is currently playing. Ehlers has looked kind of lazy the last couple of games and isn’t hard on the puck. He needs to pick it up imo. I’m not a fan of the 2nd line either but it’s hard to complain when the team is winning. I’m sure it will change with a loss or two.

Still have full faith in Mr. Ehlite and his qualities. If someone could just ask PMo to spread out the toi over the top 6 I’d greatly appreciate it :nod:

I agree with the Dane here !!! - firstly I think it's good to nurse Connor to confidence on a strong line, same as they did with Ehlers. Connor may have the "softest hands" in close around the net. Very talented guy.

I'd also like to see the 2nd line get more ice time, but I will say, Little hasn't been that effective. I'd like to see Perrault center that line when he's back, and slot Little on the 3rd line with Lowry and Copp. I think Copp has been hustling and has pretty good scoring touch.

We really need a 3 line scoring threat !!!

Ehlers didn't play well tonight against Dallas, he has to become more consistent, and learn to control his emotions, because when he's skating hard, "things happen"- he just opens so much ice up. He also should always be used on the power play, to skate the puck in with possession. He's a rare talent, and so entertaining to watch.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I dont care what line Ehls is on, I care about icetime. And im just not as impressed woth KC as others are...

Ehlers Toi: 14:40
pp: 1:05

least of the 2nd line.

KC Toi: 20:20

Pp: 4:08.

Hey Ehls, thanks for signing that longterm team friendly deal.

No he didnt play well last night, but imo his confidence is taking a hit, also didnt smile alot, and he is mr. smiles.

I like the team is winning, but too much toi is given to the 1st line and pp1. It will wear them out eventully.

I dont remember Ehls or Laine getting this sheltered.

I also believe a talent like Ehls who is still developing needs just a bit sheltering still to optimize his potential.

Mark my words, it wouldnt suprise me to see his game and numbers take a huge hit this season - Hurt his confidence and KC surpassing him permanently.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad