Player Discussion: Nikolaj Ehlers Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
My poor memory says that Ehlers missquite a few grade A chances especially in the first half. I'm a Petan supporter but I don't remember many grade A chances being missed by him. Maybe that has to do with his TOI.

Buff seems about right. Skate down the boards and either jam it short side for 3 or 4 saves or wrap it around for 2 or 3 saves. Screw possession! But yay CORSI!

D sh% is expected to be less than F sh%

Yes Ehlers missed chances but so does everyone. Do you have any evidence he misses more than typical for a F?

Petan was definitely snakebit all season long.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Yes Ehlers missed chances but so does everyone. Do you have any evidence he misses more than typical for a F?

I agree with Quint and Youngblood. Ehlers missed on a lot of breakaways. His shooting % might have been fine overall but the memorable, tense and exciting opportunities that Ehlers had often didn't go in.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I agree with Quint and Youngblood. Ehlers missed on a lot of breakaways. His shooting % might have been fine overall but the memorable, tense and exciting opportunities that Ehlers had often didn't go in.

Because of his speed, he tends to find himself on breakaways quite a bit. Historically, even penalty shots (where the player has time to plan what to do) have around a 25-30% conversion rate. Combine the number of breakaways he gets with an overall low conversion rate for breakaways in general, and I think I understand why people feel he missed on a lot of breakaways.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Does petan have a hard shot? Any chance he is just a slow shooter?

Don't know about hard, but his release is quick and sneaky. Petan can snipe 'em. I remember him hitting posts a fair bit, and going just wide also. I think he's a confidence player. But most are, I guess.

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
Does petan have a hard shot? Any chance he is just a slow shooter?

Nothing wrong with Petan's wrister. He's a set up man, works down low behind the net and hasn't had many opportunities to rip it. Last season he had a few goalies beat clean, was an inch away from bar down.

Look to Lowry if you want to talk muffin shots.

Last edited:

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013
I see him neck and neck with Wheeler at #3 on the team. I think we see a big jump forward from Liane into the mid 40's range. Scheifele settles into the mid 30's, and Ehlers and Wheeler are in the hunt for 30.

Ehlers is a wonderful player. I can't argue about how you see one player or another.

However, I can't imagine a player being as underappreciated as Wheeler is anywhere in the league as he is here.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Ehlers is a wonderful player. I can't argue about how you see one player or another.

However, I can't imagine a player being as underappreciated as Wheeler is anywhere in the league as he is here.

I appreciate Ehlers and Wheeler a great deal I just see Scheifele and Laine on another level. IMO Scheifele is on his way to be a top 5 center in the league hitting the 90 point range with regularity and Laine pushing his way to the 50+ goal range and being in the Rocket race season after season. Slotting behind those 2 still puts you among the top players in the league.

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
I appreciate Ehlers and Wheeler a great deal I just see Scheifele and Laine on another level. IMO Scheifele is on his way to be a top 5 center in the league hitting the 90 point range with regularity and Laine pushing his way to the 50+ goal range and being in the Rocket race season after season. Slotting behind those 2 still puts you among the top players in the league.

Not sure how that's possible when Ehlers is going to get 67 goals and 72 apples next season ;):sarcasm:

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Think about all the points Scheifele and Laine will get riding Ehlers coattails. :naughty::nod::D

View attachment 96569

Bp2sSWg

Last edited:

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
What is this Burgergate you speak of?

As I recall, they were spotted eating burgers in a restaurant after a game. The horror, professional athletes consuming artery clogging saturated fats. Perhaps it was for the best that no details of the burgers were provided. Multiple patties, any or all of bacon, cheese, pulled pork, brisket, mac and cheese or a slab of lard for toppings, or the use of grilled cheese sandwiches, donuts, waffles or deep fried chicken breasts as replacements for the bun would have only increased the outrage. ;)

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012

Nothing wrong with Petan's wrister. He's a set up man, works down low behind the net and hasn't had many opportunities to rip it. Last season he had a few goalies beat clean, was an inch away from bar down.

Look to Lowry if you want to talk muffin shots.

A lucky shot from the pre season 3 years ago? This is what I'm talking about. There's a lot of things I like about Petan but he needs to get to the dirty areas more to shoot not just make beauty passes from the perimeter.

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Came across this Danish article and thought I'd share. It's about Ehlers and his dad (Who is a headcoach in the Swiss league). It's too long to translate at this moment but google might do the job.

The interesting points I gathered was:

1. His dad thinks Maurice is a good coach. He mentions Maurice has pointed out the same weaknesses in Niks game as he has.

2. Throughout Niks life his dad has "paced" him because he believes people with obvious talent have a responsibility to get the most out of it.

http://www.appetize.dk/talent-forpligter/

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Came across this Danish article and thought I'd share. It's about Ehlers and his dad (Who is a headcoach in the Swiss league). It's too long to translate at this moment but google might do the job.

The interesting points I gathered was:

1. His dad thinks Maurice is a good coach. He mentions Maurice has pointed out the same weaknesses in Niks game as he has.

2. Throughout Niks life his dad has "paced" him because he believes people with obvious talent have a responsibility to get the most out of it.

http://www.appetize.dk/talent-forpligter/

Google does a pretty reasonable job. I hadn't realized Ehlers played with Patrick Kane and Tyler Seguin in Biel during the lockout (as a 16 year old!).

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Google does a pretty reasonable job. I hadn't realized Ehlers played with Patrick Kane and Tyler Seguin in Biel during the lockout (as a 16 year old!).

Yea. He has previously mentioned they advised him to go to the Q. I also remember a Kane interview (can't find it right now) around the time Ehlers was drafted talking about how he was one of the best players on the Swiss team they played on which is kind of crazy considering Ehlers was 15 years old.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
I thought Ehlers looked really good. He was as fast as ever, but he was no longer hogging the puck for no reason (could be due to player chemistry), but made quick plays to keep the whole line mobile and defenders guessing. Very nice to see.

Last year it seemed Laine was a bit too sluggish for the fast-as-an-arrow Ehlers. They were a bit of a mismatch in that regard IMO.

I thought Perreault was on fire, Ehlers was looking very good. Was Little good? I don't remember.

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
Dunno they should out ESL line back to together. Blake Wheeler and Little have chemistry to play together and it would force teams to play their top D pairing against Wheeler's line sometimes.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Dunno they should out ESL line back to together. Blake Wheeler and Little have chemistry to play together and it would force teams to play their top D pairing against Wheeler's line sometimes.

Agreed. I'd like to see Ehlers with Scheifele and Laine. Pure offense and a ton of fun.

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
I thought Ehlers looked really good. He was as fast as ever, but he was no longer hogging the puck for no reason (could be due to player chemistry), but made quick plays to keep the whole line mobile and defenders guessing. Very nice to see.

Last year it seemed Laine was a bit too sluggish for the fast-as-an-arrow Ehlers. They were a bit of a mismatch in that regard IMO.

I thought Perreault was on fire, Ehlers was looking very good. Was Little good? I don't remember.

Agree that he looked good. Also really liked Little yesterday.

Ehlers will always want to have the puck on his stick and can get away with it because of his shiftiness and speed. Some times that comes of as puck hogging, though I'm pretty sure he is instructed to carry it up as much as possible. I agree that he some times holds on to it for a bit too long and needs to work on that. I think it might just be an experience thing that will get better with time. It's definitely a difficult balance when you are expected to be a game breaker as well. His rookie season was even worse so I think he is slowly learning to pick the right spots.

I actually really liked Laine's "slowness" (he isn't slow) on the ESL line. Ehlers enters the zone with puck, Chef drives the net to draw away defenders and screen the goalie. Laine enters the zone last, receives the pass with plenty of room and BOOM!

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Agree that he looked good. Also really liked Little yesterday.

Ehlers will always want to have the puck on his stick and can get away with it because of his shiftiness and speed. Some times that comes of as puck hogging, though I'm pretty sure he is instructed to carry it up as much as possible. I agree that he some times holds on to it for a bit too long and needs to work on that. I think it might just be an experience thing that will get better with time. It's definitely a difficult balance when you are expected to be a game breaker as well. His rookie season was even worse so I think he is slowly learning to pick the right spots.

I actually really liked Laine's "slowness" (he isn't slow) on the ESL line. Ehlers enters the zone with puck, Chef drives the net to draw away defenders and screen the goalie. Laine enters the zone last, receives the pass with plenty of room and BOOM!

While I don't know how much we will see of ESL this year you got to figure they will be the most dominating in hockey in a few years. Also they may be the LSE line instead of the ESL line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad