Status
Not open for further replies.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Here is some more Ehlers articles...

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2017/09/27/ehlers-more-than-high-speed-offence

https://thehockeywriters.com/winnipeg-jets-nikolaj-ehlers-extraordinary/

It's possible that I am just too biased but I've been really impressed with his defensive work this pre-season. Can't wait for the season to start!!

Good reads, thanks.

I've said it before but I'll say it again. I think Laine's and Ehlers' personality types compliment each other really well and it might be a huge advantage going forward for both of them as they are such good friends. When you really have a bond with a person, you will openly and without a problem criticize what you think is wrong in a scenario driving the whole package forward.

And what I mean by this is that I think neither Ehlers or Laine would critize for example Big Buff. They are just not in a position to do so, even if Buff would be cool with it. They would probably see it as too disrespectful.

And as I understand, both of them have taken the defensive side as their biggest weakness and are actively working on it.

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Good reads, thanks.

I've said it before but I'll say it again. I think Laine's and Ehlers' personality types compliment each other really well and it might be a huge advantage going forward for both of them as they are such good friends. When you really have a bond with a person, you will openly and without a problem criticize what you think is wrong in a scenario driving the whole package forward.

And what I mean by this is that I think neither Ehlers or Laine would critize for example Big Buff. They are just not in a position to do so, even if Buff would be cool with it. They would probably see it as too disrespectful.

And as I understand, both of them have taken the defensive side as their biggest weakness and are actively working on it.

I agree with all of this. I just can't get enough of them... their banter is hilarious!

Reactions: grieves

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Interestingly, many coaches state that they look for a C and a W that work together well (like Scheifele and Wheels) - in this case, I think it's two wingers in Laine and Ehlers. Doesn't hurt that they're (currently) playing with a very strong 2 way centre that can score and feed them the puck, and is more than fast enough to not get completely behind the play.

Reactions: Duke749 and ps241

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Been hearing a bit of Ehlers is overrated chatter and thought it would be perfect opportunity to bump my favorite topic #Ehlite Ehlers. Now i'm fairly certain that isn't the opinion of the majority and especially after his start this season but I also know that i'm incapable of being unbiased. In my fantasy world he can still become the best player that doesn't have Jesus in his name :laugh: I'm of the opinion that he has actually gotten slightly undervalued/forgotten ever since Laine arrived (maybe for good reason)...

Would like to hear some opinions on his strengths and weaknesses and where he needs to improve the most? To me it looks like he still sucks on breakaways but that his defensive game has taken a huge step forward. I don't remember him breaking up play, using his skating and stick as well in the D zone as I've seen this season. It would be very exciting if he actually turned into solid two way player. I don't think he is there yet, but before this season I never really considered it an option.

Reactions: ImGoingNucks

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Been hearing a bit of Ehlers is overrated chatter and thought it would be perfect opportunity to bump my favorite topic #Ehlite Ehlers. Now i'm fairly certain that isn't the opinion of the majority and especially after his start this season but I also know that i'm incapable of being unbiased. In my fantasy world he can still become the best player that doesn't have Jesus in his name :laugh: I'm of the opinion that he has actually gotten slightly undervalued/forgotten ever since Laine arrived (maybe for good reason)...

Would like to hear some opinions on his strengths and weaknesses and where he needs to improve the most? To me it looks like he still sucks on breakaways but that his defensive game has taken a huge step forward. I don't remember him breaking up play, using his skating and stick as well in the D zone as I've seen this season. It would be very exciting if he actually turned into solid two way player. I don't think he is there yet, but before this season I never really considered it an option.
I'd agree Ehlers has taken a step forward defensively. Quite often he is the one gaining possession in our own end and moving it up ice. He seems to be in the right spot more often than not able to breakup plays. I also think he is growing offensively. In the past he would often circle around the offensive zone with the puck, but now as he circles he is much more likely to give and go with his line mates creating better scoring chances.

And it goes without saying his speed is a beautiful thing. But Ehlers won't improve on breakaways until he learns to slow it down a touch to give himself more options. The kid is definitely not overrated IMO, if anything he is underrated in Scheifele's shadow and Laine's potential.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Interestingly, many coaches state that they look for a C and a W that work together well (like Scheifele and Wheels) - in this case, I think it's two wingers in Laine and Ehlers. Doesn't hurt that they're (currently) playing with a very strong 2 way centre that can score and feed them the puck, and is more than fast enough to not get completely behind the play.

Just thinking about this idea a bit more Gin, a top 9 is very doable.

MP (Copp)-Scheifele-Wheeler
Ehlers
-Lowry (Roslovic)-Laine
Connor-Little-
Dano (Armia)
Matthias-Copp (Petan)-Tanev

I’m interested in seeing Connor and Little play together. I think they’ll have chemistry.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg

In my opinion he is a special player. Cut in the same ilk as Laine.

His ability to skate with the puck at exceptionally high speeds while being completely aware and able to make plays. He has an underrated shot and an exceptional slapper that he doesnt get off enough. I'd really like to see him on the point on the PP.

If he continues with his new found shoot first mentality I can really see him surprising a lot of people with goal totals. Completely underrated sniper in my opinion. Excellent play maker as well. He can create space for his linemates and he's finding the quiet spots on the ice more often.

He appears to be fully committed to defense. It will continue to improve I have no doubts. He wins puck battles regardless of size and he's in good position more often.

He also doesn't take many penalties. That's huge for this team. He will also benefit from the rule crackdowns.

Personally, I believe he's a strait up game breaker.

I'm not willing to put a ceiling on Him or Laine. Chefs kinda reached a pinnacle considering he is mentioned in the same breath as some of the leagues best players despite the Winnipeg market effect.

Those three are dynamite. Should be a fun ride having them all locked up for close to the same price as the leagues most dynamic duos

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014

Ehlers is magical at moving the puck up the ice. So far, that seems to be a weak spot for Laine but they could feast on each others' strengths. Let Laine do the fake slappers (or, you know, real ones).

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
In my opinion he is a special player. Cut in the same ilk as Laine.

His ability to skate with the puck at exceptionally high speeds while being completely aware and able to make plays. He has an underrated shot and an exceptional slapper that he doesnt get off enough. I'd really like to see him on the point on the PP.

If he continues with his new found shoot first mentality I can really see him surprising a lot of people with goal totals. Completely underrated sniper in my opinion. Excellent play maker as well. He can create space for his linemates and he's finding the quiet spots on the ice more often.

He appears to be fully committed to defense. It will continue to improve I have no doubts. He wins puck battles regardless of size and he's in good position more often.

He also doesn't take many penalties. That's huge for this team. He will also benefit from the rule crackdowns.

Personally, I believe he's a strait up game breaker.

I'm not willing to put a ceiling on Him or Laine. Chefs kinda reached a pinnacle considering he is mentioned in the same breath as some of the leagues best players despite the Winnipeg market effect.

Those three are dynamite. Should be a fun ride having them all locked up for close to the same price as the leagues most dynamic duos

That could actually work. I wasn't really a fan of his pp last season. He seemed to loose the puck on the wall a lot. Hopefully he can improve there because he certainly has all the tools and the Jets need someone that can consistently carry the puck into the zone.

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
I'd agree Ehlers has taken a step forward defensively. Quite often he is the one gaining possession in our own end and moving it up ice. He seems to be in the right spot more often than not able to breakup plays. I also think he is growing offensively. In the past he would often circle around the offensive zone with the puck, but now as he circles he is much more likely to give and go with his line mates creating better scoring chances.

And it goes without saying his speed is a beautiful thing. But Ehlers won't improve on breakaways until he learns to slow it down a touch to give himself more options. The kid is definitely not overrated IMO, if anything he is underrated in Scheifele's shadow and Laine's potential.

The bolded is spot on. He is at his best when he plays a more direct game. In the past he has definitely be guilty of holding on to the puck for too long.. We don't want any Burmi creeping into his game :laugh: My guess is he will get even better at it and that it's an result of him being able to get away with it his whole life because of speed.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
That could actually work. I wasn't really a fan of his pp last season. He seemed to loose the puck on the wall a lot. Hopefully he can improve there because he certainly has all the tools and the Jets need someone that can consistently carry the puck into the zone.

Looked good there at the world juniors if I'm not mistaken.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg

I don't think Ehlers "sucks" on breakaways at all Dane. When he's breaking into the offensive zone at high speed, he then elects to go around the defenseman, then by that time he's right in front of the goalie - "and no angle to work with." Most of the time the puck is like 1 foot in front of the goalies pads, so you may have a 20% chance of scoring. Most guys would hit the brakes and wait for their teammates to enter the zone and pass it off. If Ehlers was constantly in one "clean breakaways" and well behind the defense, and missed these type of chances, then you could say he "sucks" on breakaways. I don't think you can say this right now though.

In comparing him to Laine- right now I'd take Ehlers over Laine anyday. He's way faster, and a better playmaker. Laine does not have his speed, so he's a rather one-dimensional hockey player, un that he relies on a hard accurate shot. Laine is also a decent playmaker, but gives the puck away a lot of times. His reaction time to me seems a little slow. Laine is a guy that's only 19, so he's still growing into his body, and also his mind is still developing, so time will tell how good he'll get.

I think Nik will outscore him in total points this year, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Ehlers finish in the top 10 in scoring in the NHL this year. I hope so, because he's an electrifying and exciting player to watch and my favorite Jet.

Bottom Line-I think Ehlers is still underrated and Laine overrated, and this is shown by the poll on here asking who will score more points this year.( It 80-20 for Laine?)
I don't think it will play out this way at all -we will see !!! Because of Laine's shot, he;s always dangerous, but Ehlers is the more all around skilled player.

Sperss1997

Oct 29, 2015
Aarhus
Dont forget the age difference between Laine and Ehlers. It matters a lot when youre at that age. I think Laine is amazing and will continue to improve for years to come. Even though Ehlers has a lead on scoring right now I think Laine will score more, he will asily makes 30 goals this year. Ehlers also has to prove that he can go through a season without big slumps. Otherwise ppg will be very difficult to reach. Nik is my favorite player so I hope he succeeds and become a true ppg game. I have no doubt that Laine will be that within a couple of seasons

FinnJet

Just one Lainer
Jan 20, 2017
He has improved his game a lot since last year.
Sure, he was fast and flashy last year also, but(to me) it seems that now he is more aware what is happening around him and when he has the puck, he doesn't skate him self to the dead end as often as last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->