Player Discussion: Nikolaj Ehlers Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
I could see ehlers signing something like Scheifele did

Do you think these guys ever talk salary cap and building a team for a cup?

Doubt it, players respect the business side of things, that everyone has to do what's best for them and their families, rather than managing Chevy's cap.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Doubt it, players respect the business side of things, that everyone has to do what's best for them and their families, rather than managing Chevy's cap.

Yeah I was gonna add that I doubt it
It's kind of a personal thing which isn't hockey related(well technically it is)

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
ESL didn't play 20 games. And it was a bad 2 periods haha.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Thanks!

"He mentioned that as soon as a line has two bad games in a row the coach has to change things up. NHL is a league where you need instant turnarounds."

Is this right? Anyone can share.

Line section of the interview:

Interviewer: Last season you seemed to play on a line that did really well together...

Ehlers: Yea, I think so... We played well in 15-20 games and then we started to dip a bit and then the lines were switched up. But thats just how it goes... as soon as you have two bad games the coach has to change things up because you can't loose a lot in a row over there. But we started something good over there and i'm sure with the new players and the young team we have we can do really well this season.

I wouldn't read too much into it...

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
And people try to argue that deployment isn't one of Maurice's weak areas. :help:

No Scheifele..... what on earth was Maurice thinking? :sarcasm:

Pretty much every coach on every team gets the blender out from time to time. Injuries happen or injecting a shock to the lineup even for just a practice or a game or two is pretty standard operating procedure.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Yeah I was gonna add that I doubt it
It's kind of a personal thing which isn't hockey related(well technically it is)

I could see maybe older vets, coming up to UFA, where they might collude with others on reducing their asking price to remain with a team and allow them the best opportunity to win.

Maybe Wheeler or Little give a bit of a discount on thier services to stay with the Jets and see this through. Maybe Buff if he remains with the team till the end of his contract, might sign on for a discounted season, if he felt we are right there for winning a cup.

But young players signing their first major contract, they have to get the best deal they can, because it might be their only contract they receive.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
And people try to argue that deployment isn't one of Maurice's weak areas. :help:

I would never argue Maurice is great at deployment so I agree with you but let's not pretend Ehlers was playing like a superstar and didn't deserve to move down the lineup for periods of that season. And that's coming from one of the biggest Ehlers fans on the planet.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
I could see maybe older vets, coming up to UFA, where they might collude with others on reducing their asking price to remain with a team and allow them the best opportunity to win.

Maybe Wheeler or Little give a bit of a discount on thier services to stay with the Jets and see this through. Maybe Buff if he remains with the team till the end of his contract, might sign on for a discounted season, if he felt we are right there for winning a cup.

But young players signing their first major contract, they have to get the best deal they can, because it might be their only contract they receive.

I still have a feeling Ehlers will give the Jets a hometown discount. I don't know if it's a NA vs. Europe kind of thing but I just don't see him picking money over winning when we will be making a bunch regardless...

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
I still have a feeling Ehlers will give the Jets a hometown discount. I don't know if it's a NA vs. Europe kind of thing but I just don't see him picking money over winning when we will be making a bunch regardless...

Man I hope you are right but I have no issue if he maximises his income. All I know is I want Ehlers a Jet for a long time. He is by far the most exciting player to watch on the Jets.
I would not be surprised that this coming season is where he puts it all together and become a elite player in the league. If that happens he will be expensive but worth it.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Thanks for posting the article, DD. Would be great to see Nik sign longterm -- he's already one of the most creative and entertaining players in the league, as well as one of the quickest. Seems like a great kid to boot.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015

front loading the contract would be best way to get a discount. $1 is worth more now than in 6 years.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
All of Ehlers goals from last season. If he can find more consistency with his shot he will be lethal in a couple of years! Quite a few snipes in there :yo:

Edit: Can't get youtube links working... Here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVpxrK28TlM

Just need to use the same tags but just with the stuff after the =, so gVpxrK28TlM

Thanks for this, was looking for all his goals this last year a few weeks ago

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
All of Ehlers goals from last season. If he can find more consistency with his shot he will be lethal in a couple of years! Quite a few snipes in there :yo:

Part of me wants to see a compilation of the breakaways he didn't score on, but who knows when I'd have the time to watch it.

(I kid! Ehlers is the best!)

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013

Edit: Can't get youtube links working... Here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVpxrK28TlM

I remember being at that Colorado game where he finally snapped a snakebitten streak. Crowd was going crazy. :laugh:
Such a fun player to watch.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Stupid Edmonton. With the overpayment to Draisatl I'm expecting Winnipeg to have to pay Ehlers at least $7 million per year now, instead of $6 assuming he puts up similar numbers. That signing will have ripple effects on all the elite RFAs in the league.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Ehlers - most talented Jet !!!

I think Nic Ehlers is the most talented Jet. He ended up in the top 15 in scoring last year and he's only 21 years old, and as my biology teacher says- "a man reaches his physical peak at 28 yrs old." Nic has a hard shot, and it's very accurate, and is by far the fastest Jet on the team. He can do all !!! - lead a rush from his own end, right into the opponents zone, and make defensive players look foolish, as he plays with them, and skates circles around them. He also brings a great team attitude, and looks happy playing here. I would not be surprised to see Ehlers win the scoring title one year.

Many will think Laine is the better Jet, but he looks poky and slow to me. He does have the best shot however and is a good playmaker, so I'd say because he's only 19yr old, it's hard to say how good he'll get. I think Ehlers is certainly on his level, and a little underrated.

Last edited:

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I think Nic Ehlers is the most talented Jet. He ended up in the top 15 in scoring last year and he's only 21 years old, and as my biology teacher says- "a man reaches his physical peak at 28 yrs old." Nic has a hard shot, and it's very accurate, and is by far the fastest Jet on the team. He can do all !!! - lead a rush from his own end, right into the opponents zone, and make defensive players look foolish, as he plays with them, and skates circles around them. He also brings a great team attitude, and looks happy playing here. I would not be surprised to see Ehlers win the scoring title one year.

Many will think Laine is the better Jet, but he looks poky and slow to me. He does have the best shot however and is a good playmaker, so I'd say because he's only 19yr old, it's hard to say how good he'll get. I think Ehlers is certainly on his level, and a little underrated.

See, that's the thing: he only looks poky and slow. He's actually not.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
See, that's the thing: he only looks poky and slow. He's actually not.

Faster than McKinnon in a lap! He's like Wheeler - big guy with a bit of an awkward appearance to their skating, but no issues with speed.

I love seeing those Ehlers goals. His third goal of the season was my favourite - big slapper from the top of the circle. That and his post on an empty net for the hattrick.

Ehlers is definitely the "fan avatar" in the lineup - when he gets going, everyone is into it and he might be the best game-breaking ability the Jets have right now. Hope we can afford him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad