Player Discussion: Nikolaj Ehlers Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Faster than McKinnon in a lap! He's like Wheeler - big guy with a bit of an awkward appearance to their skating, but no issues with speed.

I love seeing those Ehlers goals. His third goal of the season was my favourite - big slapper from the top of the circle. That and his post on an empty net for the hattrick.

Ehlers is definitely the "fan avatar" in the lineup - when he gets going, everyone is into it and he might be the best game-breaking ability the Jets have right now. Hope we can afford him.

Excellent analysis of Ehlers' impact on the team. He reminds me of Paul Scholes on those great Man U teams of the 90s. Like Scholes, Ehlers has that ability to make the play run through him.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Man Ehlers is fun to watch. He still has more to show us yet too. His blend of skill is truly unique. Skating, IQ, passing, shot. He's a full package winger. I think if he can continue to progress he could become one of the top wingers in the game along with Laine.
The season needs to start already!!

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Maurice's biggest focus for Ehlers should be two way game. After that the rest will come. Kid is already good but this year, back checking just enough because he's so quick/fast (some games) or not quite in man shape yet can't fly.

Good teams slowly choke the other ones out, frustrate them with consistency. Back checking is so important.

I have faith Ehlers can get there (maybe not all that way this year) but until it happens it is one small weakness of many holding the team back.

Same number points + better two way play = just as good a contract + more wins

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
I think Nic Ehlers is the most talented Jet. He ended up in the top 15 in scoring last year and he's only 21 years old, and as my biology teacher says- "a man reaches his physical peak at 28 yrs old." Nic has a hard shot, and it's very accurate, and is by far the fastest Jet on the team. He can do all !!! - lead a rush from his own end, right into the opponents zone, and make defensive players look foolish, as he plays with them, and skates circles around them. He also brings a great team attitude, and looks happy playing here. I would not be surprised to see Ehlers win the scoring title one year.

Many will think Laine is the better Jet, but he looks poky and slow to me. He does have the best shot however and is a good playmaker, so I'd say because he's only 19yr old, it's hard to say how good he'll get. I think Ehlers is certainly on his level, and a little underrated.

I agree that Ehlers is one of the most talented Jets but think it's unfair to compare him with Laine considering how different their toolset is... I think they will both become superstars in the league. Maybe it's my strong bias speaking but if Nicky can put it all together consistently, I could easily see hime becoming a top 5-10 player in the NHL.

I do think he is right up there with McJesus when it comes to most entertaining players to watch though.

Fishy

May 14, 2016
Winterpeg
I agree that Ehlers is one of the most talented Jets but think it's unfair to compare him with Laine considering how different their toolset is... I think they will both become superstars in the league. Maybe it's my strong bias speaking but if Nicky can put it all together consistently, I could easily see hime becoming a top 5-10 player in the NHL.

I do think he is right up there with McJesus when it comes to most entertaining players to watch though.

Drouin comes to my mind...

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Drouin comes to my mind...

Good point! I watched him a lot in juniors and he is super entertaining. Haven't seen all of that translate to the pros yet and have a gut feeling it won't. Not saying he won't be a good player but I don't think he becomes the superstar he was drafted to be...

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
2-nd Biggest Ehler's fan Here !!!

I'm the 2-nd biggest fan of the "Flashing Dane" and second only to the "Dashing Dane." :) - he holds the # 1 spot. :)

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
:laugh: I'm happy to share :yo:

If the Jet's are not heading toward a playoff spot by mid January, it's time to let Maurice go. I think the Jet's have the most potent offensive machine out there-"their stacked" with scorers, and that's the hardest thing to find. ( goal scorers)

With the addition of a very solid goaltender in Steve Mason, and Trouba and Morrisey only getting better, there will be lot's of pressure on Maurice to take the reigns, and get the team to perform.

I'll be watching to see if he can handle the job-1-st task, is to stop stupid penalties, as the Jet's give up way to many short handed goals, that cost them many games. Let's see if Maurice get gain the respect and control of the club to listen to him, and tow the line. I hope so, coz I like Maurice, but this is business, and if not-"bye bye to Maurice."

I think he'll step up, and have the Jet's in a deep playoff run.(hope so)

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Summer and bored at work = Ehlers clips... I'm sure most of these have been posted before but thought I'd post again. Not any goals but a fine display of stick handling and hand/eye coordination.

Between the legs and then switches hands deke:
https://streamable.com/c3u4

Dangles two players and takes a shot:
https://streamable.com/okrm

One handed toe drag to shot against the Sharks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGuPvb-M07A

Stick handling and soccer skills at Jets camp:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zcx7pAQ9YA0

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Summer and bored at work = Ehlers clips... I'm sure most of these have been posted before but thought I'd post again. Not any goals but a fine display of stick handling and hand/eye coordination.

That switching hands one is awesome :amazed:

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016

Ehlers was one of those "whothef**k" players on the Jets, but man has he got the speed and the hands. Such an exciting player to watch.

I think he is going to be a special player that will get A LOT better with maturity. At this point he feels like a drummer that wants to play a drum solo during every song. Once he gets to a stage where he understands when to play a solo, and when to "just" support, he can bring a lot more to the table than he is capable of now (which is still an elite-level winger so don't get me wrong).

Personality-wise, it seems like Ehlers is an extrovert, and because I'm a shameless Laine fan that has to talk about Laine, I think Ehlers taking Laine under his wing can be a HUGE benefit for both of them. Ehlers could be to Laine what Selänne was to Kariya (although Laine has excellent social skills, he does not like socializing).

Last edited:

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Ehlers was one of those "whothef**k" players on the Jets, but man has he got the speed and the hands. Such an exciting player to watch.

I think he is going to be a special player that will get A LOT better with maturity. At this point he feels like a drummer that wants to play a drum solo during every song. Once he gets to a stage where he understands when to play a solo, and when to "just" support, he can bring a lot more to the table than he is capable of now (which is still an elite-level winger so don't get me wrong).

Personality-wise, it seems like Ehlers is an extrovert, and because I'm a shameless Laine fan that has to talk about Laine, I think Ehlers taking Laine under his wing can be a HUGE benefit for both of them. Ehlers could be to Laine what Selänne was to Kariya (although Laine has excellent social skills, he does not like socializing).

I completely agree with all of this! Ehlers definitely has a tendency to try to do too much and force plays that aren't there. And I agree that age and experience will fix that with time. Hopefully we won't be chasing as many games either so he won't feel like he has to make something happen on every shift.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Winnipeg is pretty lucky to have a couple dynamic players like ehlers and Laine

They both got special qualities that you don't find on every team

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Ehlers..... Schief.....Laine

It is so simple Maurice. Just do it.

Put the line mixer away on the top shelf in your office and get rid of all the ladders so you are not tempted to mix things up.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Ehlers will lead this team in scoring this year. He was snake bitten last year blowing countless grade A oportunities with bad luck finnishing. How many break- aways did he just miss.

This is the year his bad luck evens out and his #'s soar.

Ehlers top 10 in N.H.L. scoring this year.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Ehlers will lead this team in scoring this year. He was snake bitten last year blowing countless grade A oportunities with bad luck finnishing. How many break- aways did he just miss.

His shooting percentage was not horrible. There are better candidates for being "snake bitten" check out Nic Petan on this list.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?agg...17&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=shootingPctg

IMG_3416.jpg

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb

I blame Ehlers for Burgergate. :laugh:

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
His shooting percentage was not horrible. There are better candidates for being "snake bitten" check out Nic Petan on this list.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?agg...17&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=shootingPctg

IMG_3416.jpg

My poor memory says that Ehlers missquite a few grade A chances especially in the first half. I'm a Petan supporter but I don't remember many grade A chances being missed by him. Maybe that has to do with his TOI.

Buff seems about right. Skate down the boards and either jam it short side for 3 or 4 saves or wrap it around for 2 or 3 saves. Screw possession! But yay CORSI!

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

I see him neck and neck with Wheeler at #3 on the team. I think we see a big jump forward from Liane into the mid 40's range. Scheifele settles into the mid 30's, and Ehlers and Wheeler are in the hunt for 30.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I see him neck and neck with Wheeler at #3 on the team. I think we see a big jump forward from Liane into the mid 40's range. Scheifele settles into the mid 30's, and Ehlers and Wheeler are in the hunt for 30.

Yowza! I was gonna do a thread on number of 20 goal scorers we'll have should I change it to 30? lol
Don't forget Little if healthy will hover around 25-30. Man that's a lot of goals this year. Connor, Perreault and Buff around 15-20 I guess.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yowza! I was gonna do a thread on number of 20 goal scorers we'll have should I change it to 30? lol
Don't forget Little if healthy will hover around 25-30. Man that's a lot of goals this year. Connor, Perreault and Buff around 15-20 I guess.

Goal scoring won't be our problem. I wouldn't be surprised if we end up top 5 in the league. Keeping the puck out of our net will be key. I like the upgrades on D and in net, but I'm still a little worried about the amount of penalties we get and a lackluster PK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad