Friedman: Nikita Zaitsev has requested a trade from Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I’d imagine they’d have to give up something of some significance to get another team to take him off their hands.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
I honestly don’t know how Toronto resolves their situation and keeps Marner, but just getting rid of Zaitsev still isn’t gonna get it done.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Chicago had to pay Teuvo Teravainen to get rid of 1 year of Bryan Bickell at $4M.

The notion that the Leafs won't have to pay significantly to get rid of 5 (!!) years of Nikita Zaitsev at $4.5M is asinine. Pure delusion.

Meh, it depends. Detroit dumped Datsyuk's last year at $7.5M with pick #16 and got picks #20 and #53 in return. I'd argue that even if you remove Datsyuk from the trade, that's still a good deal for Detroit.

With that being said, that was also Arizona, who wanted to reach the cap floor without actually paying, and it was only one year.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Sekera, Russel same thing
Much shorter contracts... Russel can easily be moved if we retain like 500k

Sekera is a good option for the 3rd pair and to mentor our good young d prospects as they come up. He won't be moved, and it would be more difficult to move him anyway because his cap hit is higher.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Oh wow.

What part about Tanev is valuable again? His inability to play more than 60 games? Or his comically bad possession metrics and complete lack of offense?

Tanev is an excellent defensive defenseman who could crack any top six in the league. If you don't think he's valuable, I really don't know what to tell you.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Just like clarkson and Phaneuf?

Clarkson was dealt for Horton. Bad contract for a bad contract. Phaneuf returned a 4 mil Michalek that they ended up sending to the AHL. The other key difference is that those trades the Leafs didn't have any real cap concerns where they do now. They can't take a bad contract back because it defeats the purpose.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
Meh, it depends. Detroit dumped Datsyuk's last year at $7.5M with pick #16 and got picks #20 and #53 in return. I'd argue that even if you remove Datsyuk from the trade, that's still a good deal for Detroit.

With that being said, that was also Arizona, who wanted to reach the cap floor without actually paying, and it was only one year.
This is more comparable to P. Marleau imo if he were to ever waive his NMC. And #16 for #20 and #53 can actually be a really good deal for a team if the guy they want is not going before #20.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Just like clarkson and Phaneuf?

You’re aware of all the short term cap dumps you had to take on to move Dion, right?

Hell if I’m not mistaken Toronto actually ADDED cap hit short term to move him.

With that in mind, Edmonton offers Kris Russell and Brandon Manning for Zaitsev and Bracco.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
They have to add something to Zaitsev in order to move him.

I probably would as well but Toronto may not make any of those three available without that occurring.

Fair enough, but they're not exactly in the driver's seat, asking somebody to take on a cap dump while their elite forward is asking for $10M+ in cap space they don't have.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Tanev is an excellent defensive defenseman who could crack any top six in the league. If you don't think he's valuable, I really don't know what to tell you.

Can you prove your claim? He's been getting absolutely demolished at even strength the past 3 years, it's sad to watch. Guy's a shell of what he was at one time. Before you give me the "Vancouver's just bad" excuse, he's by far the worst on a bad team for bleeding shots and dangerous chances against.

Again that's in the 45-55 games he actually ends up playing in any given year.

I'm sure someone might take a chance on him to the tune of a 2nd at the deadline, but I wouldn't exactly call that valuable.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
People here acting like the contracts some d-men get on July 1 don’t exist.

I’m not saying Zaitsev is going to get some great return, or that the Leafs won’t have to add something, but what some people are suggesting is so off base.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
This is more comparable to P. Marleau imo if he were to ever waive his NMC. And #16 for #20 and #53 can actually be a really good deal for a team if the guy they want is not going before #20.

There was some added incentive for the Coyotes there though, in that they got Datsyuk's full cap hit but didn't pay him a single dime. Which is valuable to the few cheap teams in the league. With Marleau, you still owe him $4.25M, though, theoretically, it's only $1.25M after July 1st.

Problem is, he almost certainly isn't waiving his NTC to go to a team looking to cheaply reach the cap floor.

For Detroit, they did miss out on Chychrun, but ended up gaining Cholowski and Hronek, the latter of whom I feel has a good shot at being the best of the three.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Can definitely see Anaheim willing to take Zaitsev with someone like Kapanen or Johnsson for some package of draft picks or prospects.
Zaitsev + aj/kapanen
for
39th + shore

Maybe a little pick/prospects on end to tighten it up a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad