Friedman: Nikita Zaitsev has requested a trade from Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I could see #36 + a 3rd for Kapanen, maybe even the 2nd and the conditional 2nd/3rd from the Rangers for Kapanen. Not much more than that.

If Kapanen were signed to an offer sheet by anyone, the 2020 2nd would almost certainly be a lower 2nd than #36.

On topic of the thread, there's a leap of logic from LeBrun that doesn't make sense.

Carolina wants a young top 6 forward.
Carolina feels like they need to trade one of their RHD. He lumps Pesce/Hamilton/Faulk together, although the value is very different in a trade.
"This isn't a Marleau conversation, this is a Zaitsev conversation."

How does taking back Zaitsev alleviate the RHD logjam that LeBrun says Carolina wants to alleviate?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Those prices are a bit high but the leafs dont want to gift kapanen away. If they cant get a top 4 rhd for him than the next best bet is to go after a series of picks. These type of deals could be made if their is a bidding war for him. If 5-6 teams really like the guy and want to get his rights to ensure they can have him and avoid any offersheet bidding than the price may be higher than expected. If not many offers come in than for sure kapanen will not bring back that many picks.

If the leafs are able to get back a RHD than Kapanen would be traded with no future assets being needed. For example if the leafs and flames had mutual interest a kap for hamonic deal would be better value to the leafs than going after multiple future assets (if hamonic is willing to sign a long term deal). The market for him is unknown at the moment. Teams in cap crunches do lose talented players. However lots of rumors going around that the leafs are working on deals for Zaitsev and Marleau. If the leafs can find a way to dump either of them than Kap(and AJ by extension) will be off the market. If a team wants one of these two the time to acquire them would be within the next few weeks.

You can pretend that the Leafs have leverage but they don't. Everybody knows they are in cap hell and if you want to trade Kapanen, he will get interest but you are not getting the value you think or want. So go ahead and keep him. Keep everybody if you don't find a trade partner and good luck fitting it all in that $83M cap.

I guess Shanahan can come out and talk to the reporters again about how players should leave money on the table for the team. Maybe it works the 2nd time around?

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
You can pretend that the Leafs have leverage but they don't. Everybody knows they are in cap hell and if you want to trade Kapanen, he will get interest but you are not getting the value you think or want. So go ahead and keep him. Keep everybody if you don't find a trade partner and good luck fitting it all in that $83M cap.

I guess Shanahan can come out and talk to the reporters again about how players should leave money on the table for the team. Maybe it works the 2nd time around?
All it takes is two teams wanting Kap, which is sounds like there are more than 2, and you will likely get pretty fair value as they outbid each other to get the player they want.

No GM is going to not make a trade they are comfortable with just because Toronto is in a bit of a cap crunch.

Not saying the leafs have all the leverage but they certainly have more than many people think on here. There wont be some conspiracy to screw the leafs over, just because.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
The leafs only need to trade one asset out of Kap/Aj/Kadri/Zaitsev/Marelau and the cal crunch is done with. Reports say we are currently working on dealing 2 of our biggest cap hits in PM and NZ. If we cant find suitable deals(in the case that reports are false and teams ask for sandin/lil/ 1st etc to move one of the two guys) than it becomes all to simple. Offer deals that you normally would to either of kap/Aj(2/3 year deals at 2.5-3 million) if one of them takes it he is signed and kept. If neither sign it than explore trading both and see what value for them appear to be. If in the case we are not satisfied with the value(for some odd reason teams offer less than a 2nd rounder for them) you let them get their 4 million dollar offersheets and chose to sign one and let the other guy leave to an offersheet.

The offersheet stage being reached is very unlikely though and we would surely get better than a 2nd when we put them on the table. After one of them have been moved on fro our roster will be cap compliant and we can ride out PM and his deal and see how Zaitsev performs in a full season with Muzzin as his partner and a more offensive role. The leafs are only in a crunch if they are unprepared to move on from one of kap/AJ. Once the decision has been made which one will be kept the offseason becomes a lot easier.

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region

This would only makes sense if all other 30 GM's are in cahoots with each other with the intention of purposely screwing over the Leafs. But why would this even be a factor?...For example, why would X team who is also interested in Kapanen, give a shit about Y team's plan to submit an offersheet and try to acquire him that way? All it takes is ONE team to improve their offer (like we see EVERY year at the TDL, for example) and would beat any of these lame offersheet threats that gets bandied around in these forums.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
All it takes is two teams wanting Kap, which is sounds like there are more than 2, and you will likely get pretty fair value as they outbid each other to get the player they want.

No GM is going to not make a trade they are comfortable with just because Toronto is in a bit of a cap crunch.

Not saying the leafs have all the leverage but they certainly have more than many people think on here. There wont be some conspiracy to screw the leafs over, just because.

Kapanen looks to be a very good young forward but he won't return the prices I saw in the post I replied to. Kapanen and Johnson have decent value as RFA guys. But Marleau and Zaitsev will required significant adds to be able to move them.

Reactions: Dijock94

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Kapanen looks to be a very good young forward but he won't return the prices I saw in the post I replied to. Kapanen and Johnson have decent value as RFA guys. But Marleau and Zaitsev will required significant adds to be able to move them.
He likely wont return a top 4D unless they are older/have very little term. However people are acting like you could nab him for a 2nd round pick either via an offersheet or trade and that just wont happen.

If the offersheet wars open because of Kap I would laugh so hard.

I would wager that Z wont require a significant add to move. RD are at a premium and he is paid pretty fairly for a #4D (which he is) while having the potential to be paid very cheaply near the end of his contract. Take a look at the UFA market for RD, pretty slim pickings after EK and Stralman.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He likely wont return a top 4D unless they are older/have very little term. However people are acting like you could nab him for a 2nd round pick either via an offersheet or trade and that just wont happen.

If the offersheet wars open because of Kap I would laugh so hard.

I would wager that Z wont require a significant add to move. RD are at a premium and he is paid pretty fairly for a #4D (which he is) while having the potential to be paid very cheaply near the end of his contract.

I think Kapanen returns something good. But you are keeping one of Kapanen or Johnson right?

Zaitsev is a bottom pairing quality paid like a top 4D for 5 more years. Just cause he is a RD, it don't mean GM's will be fooled on this contract AAV and term. Teams will ask you to retain or to add on top.

We will see

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
Maybe Lebrun is lumping Pesce/Hamilton/Faulk together because among GMs they don't have that much of difference in value. Although I do not believe that is true at all. I would much rather want Pesce/Hamilton than Faulk

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I think Kapanen returns something good. But you are keeping one of Kapanen or Johnson right?

Zaitsev is a bottom pairing quality paid like a top 4D for 5 more years. Just cause he is a RD, it don't mean GM's will be fooled on this contract AAV and term. Teams will ask you to retain or to add on top.

We will see
Depends if Marleau/and or Z are traded. If they both are leafs will resign both AJ and Kap.

Thing is, he really isnt a button pairing defender. Plays about average 2nd pairing minutes/QoC, heavy defensive zone use and still remains an even possession player. Also has had pretty good GA/60 stats for a while.

I would like to see some stats that suggest he is a bottom pairing guy rather than a pretty decent 2nd pairing defensive defender. Granted Jake and Z had a rough start to the season but they were one of the best 2nd pairings in the league after November statistically. Very good post/thread about Z on the leaf boards.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Depends if Marleau/and or Z are traded. If they both are leafs will resign both AJ and Kap.

Thing is, he really isnt a button pairing defender. Plays about average 2nd pairing minutes/QoC, heavy defensive zone use and still remains an even possession player. Also has had pretty good GA/60 stats for a while.

I would like to see some stats that suggest he is a bottom pairing guy rather than a pretty decent 2nd pairing defensive defender. Granted Jake and Z had a rough start to the season but they were one of the best 2nd pairings in the league after November statistically. Very good post/thread about Z on the leaf boards.

The value Zaitsev has it not what the Leafs say it is, it's the value the team sets on him that you are trying to trade with. I respect you protecting his value but at the end of the day, I don't see anybody drooling over trying to acquire him and that contract. Plus I recall a rumor that the Leafs tried to move him this past trade deadline too and no deal.

I think Zaitsev is the hardest guy to move

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad