Friedman: Nikita Zaitsev has requested a trade from Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Didnt he pair with Muzzin?

He was with Jake Gardiner until he went down with a back injury and then Zaitsev was paired with Muzzin. Muzzin and he actually looked pretty good together and did a good job in the playoffs as well. Zaitsev actually looked good with Travis Dermott at times too. Jake Gardiner and Nikita Zaitsev just had *zero* chemistry together, looked awful.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Whoever decides to take him will be happier than whoever that decides to make the yearly Alzner/Jack Johnson mistake on July 1st.

Reactions: 4thline

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
The Leafs might need to add Kapanen/Nylander/Kadri into the trade.

Something similar to what Hawks did with Bickell, Put Teravainen in the package and traded him for a low price which was just a 2nd and a 3rd.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I like Zaitsev. I think he's a good #4, and can perform better than that when he's on. He seems to do well on international ice and Russia, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of his faults at the NHL level is more "systems" related than it is "incompetence".

He's not as bad as people make him out to be.

I'm sure the player isn't as bad as people say, but the contract sure as hell is.

If there were 2 years left on his deal, for example, I'd wager a handful of teams might take a flyer. Back to reality, though, where Zaitsev is signed through 2024 (!!), and no one is interested.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Kadri or Kapanen or Johnsson will be added with Zaitsev to move him and the Leafs will be better off for it. They won't get much back but it's better for them to make that move and get it over with than linger on this.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
If he was worth the $4.6 mill as a 2nd pair RHD the Leafs would not be trying to trade him.

Going to have to send something good along with him. Term is the killer. Easier to move if he only had a year or two left.
They could look at it as using that 4.6 million for something else and upgrade the defence at the same time. Maybe he wants out.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Not unless he has a NMC and they couldn't possibly have been stupid enough to give him that.
If he doesn't have to be protected id prob consider a move for him. I think hed actually do better in Anaheim rather than Toronto.

Nothing crazy, and it wouldn't be a flat out take contract

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
I'm sure the player isn't as bad as people say, but the contract sure as hell is.

If there were 2 years left on his deal, for example, I'd wager a handful of teams might take a flyer. Back to reality, though, where Zaitsev is signed through 2024 (!!), and no one is interested.
Chris Johnston reported a while back that a few teams had some interest in Zaitsev

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Kadri or Kapanen or Johnsson will be added with Zaitsev to move him and the Leafs will be better off for it. They won't get much back but it's better for them to make that move and get it over with than linger on this.
Lets say that i disagree....

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

I think I'd rather take one of those guys on for a more even price rather than pay Zaitsev $4.5M for the next 5 years.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If he doesn't have to be protected id prob consider a move for him. I think hed actually do better in Anaheim rather than Toronto.

Nothing crazy, and it wouldn't be a flat out take contract

Can definitely see Anaheim willing to take Zaitsev with someone like Kapanen or Johnsson for some package of draft picks or prospects.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
PMU7eLg.png

eRJGpKc.png

oof.
Thanks, Lou.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Chicago had to pay Teuvo Teravainen to get rid of 1 year of Bryan Bickell at $4M.

The notion that the Leafs won't have to pay significantly to get rid of 5 (!!) years of Nikita Zaitsev at $4.5M is asinine. Pure delusion.

What are we thinking here then, Marner + 1st + Zaitsev for a 3rd or 4th? 5x Teuvo is a lot.

We'll recover though, just like we recovered from having to move 4 1sts just to get rid of Phaneuf's 7x6.

Reactions: DankinIT
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad