Friedman: Nikita Zaitsev has requested a trade from Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Why do you think teams are in such a hurry to save the Leafs?
I didn't say anything of the sort....but as a Leafs fan, this site has told me:
No way you can move Clarkson!!-check

Nobody is taking Dion Phaneuf's contract without massive retention!!-check

It will cost Kapanen+1st+to land Muzzin!!-check

So, tell me more about these guarantees of nobody taking Zaitsev...

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The absolute best case scenario is that the Leafs do a Pearson for Gudbranson type of trade with Zaitsev. And that's probably optimistic.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Whatever team gets him is going to be pleasantly surprised. Babcock is not the right coach for this guy, trying to turn him into a "chip it off the boards" defensive defenseman was absolutely idiotic. Can easily see him rebounding to 35-40 point #3 form as early as this season in the right system. Let him play the way he's used to playing and he's easily worth his contract.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I like Zaitsev. I think he's a good #4, and can perform better than that when he's on. He seems to do well on international ice and Russia, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of his faults at the NHL level is more "systems" related than it is "incompetence".

He's not as bad as people make him out to be.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
He got Tanner Pearson for the rotting corpse of Erik Gudbranson.

It looks like he likes offloading overpaid bottom pairing defencemen, not giving up assets for them.
It's all good, i don't expect teams to be lining up...i'm just going to sit back and enjoy another trollfest of a thread. Be a nice break from the Marner one....

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Im ready to laugh at whoever takes him.

I will say, he was actually pretty solid in the playoffs tho

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Yeah, and Buffalo is looking to trade Kyle Okposo. And Edmonton is looking to trade Lucic. And Ottawa is looking to trade Bobby Ryan...

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I didn't say anything of the sort....but as a Leafs fan, this site has told me:
No way you can move Clarkson!!-check

Nobody is taking Dion Phaneuf's contract without massive retention!!-check

It will cost Kapanen+1st+to land Muzzin!!-check

So, tell me more about these guarantees of nobody taking Zaitsev...

Someone probably would take Zaitsev but with a + or ++ added next to him.

You haven't been in cap situation like this before so those contract moves don't really matter here.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Good luck with that lol
If he was worth the $4.6 mill as a 2nd pair RHD the Leafs would not be trying to trade him.

Going to have to send something good along with him. Term is the killer. Easier to move if he only had a year or two left.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I actually don't mind Zaitsev... his contract has a NTC tho?(I think, with expansion coming kinda dangerous) that would be the bigger fear.

I wouldn't pay much for him as far as assets go, but I wouldn't mind taking him in... hed be the 2nd best RHD on our roster... by default but whos counting.

Reactions: Y3TI

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
?? Everyone treats Zaitsev like a cap dump. Suprised you think he would be a great add to the Canucks defense core.

I was being sarcastic.

The notion the Canucks would give up a valuable piece like Tanev and get a toxic third pairing cap dump signed for five more seasons in return is beyond idiotic.

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
I actually don't mind Zaitsev... his contract has a NTC tho?(I think, with expansion coming kinda dangerous) that would be the bigger fear.

I wouldn't pay much for him as far as assets go, but I wouldn't mind taking him in... hed be the 2nd best RHD on our roster... by default but whos counting.

Please take him for a conditional 7th

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
If we add Kapanen I think we should be able to convince CBJ to give us Jones

this is the package, but it wont get you Seth Jones

NYR had Zaitsev in Prospect Camp once or twice a few years back, may have some Cap space going forward, and are bringing in 3 young, new-to-NA, Russians this fall
but, man, that AAV x term will make almost any team think twice

NYR could offer Pionk to assume Z's ice-time, but not sure what else would be needed to craft a balanced deal.
Probably Not as much as Leafs fan will argue,

it's not just Z's Cap Hit, but that often he seems just an average 4th/5th NHL d-man

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Yeah, Edmonton fans are big experts in "overpaid bottom pairing defensemen". See Petry...

Yes, we know bad defencemen when we see them. See: the crew of miscreants that played defence for us from 2007-2014.

That’s like saying Toronto fans are big experts on goaltending - see Raycroft for Rask.

Reactions: McTusk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad