Friedman: Nikita Zaitsev has requested a trade from Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
If he was worth every penny of his contract as no doubt, sure fire high end 4RHD he'd have massive trade value with his term.

He's not, he's a 4-5 with questions and inconsistencies in his game, maybe a million over paid. That million overpayment isn't so massive that it erases the value of a 4-5 RHD in a league starving for them and turns him into a completely negative asset/ cap dump. Definitely brings the value down, making him a good buy low target in a pretty sparse market

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Have a feeling he is going to Canucks in a deal for Tanev..

I could definitely see the Canucks front office looking at this, but it wouldn't be for anything around Tanev. Though Zaitsev doesn't fit the typical defensemen type Benning targets (usually large, slow, defensive guys).

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I think Zaitsev actually finished the regular season strong and had a very good playoffs. He just had no chemistry with Jake Gardiner and unfortunately Mike Babcock really forced it.

Didnt he pair with Muzzin?

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Basically Dubas is asking the league if someone can PLEASE take zaitsev off his hands, even though he is awful with a bad contract so he can sign his other young players that need massive raises

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I actually don't mind Zaitsev... his contract has a NTC tho?(I think, with expansion coming kinda dangerous) that would be the bigger fear.

I wouldn't pay much for him as far as assets go, but I wouldn't mind taking him in... hed be the 2nd best RHD on our roster... by default but whos counting.

I like Zaitsev, he's just about 750K overpaid.

If you want a #4 for 4.5 mil, give us a 4th and we'll be happy! ;)

Mar 12, 2009
As a Leaf fan all I have to say is: good luck with that. He's not as bad as a lot of people (especially some Leaf fans) make him out to be, but even with that said, he's still not very desirable at all with that term especially.

Reactions: matrixtrippin

Bond

May 10, 2012
Zaitzev + Kadri for ??
Zaitzev + Kapanen + Johnsson for ??

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
I actually don't mind Zaitsev... his contract has a NTC tho?(I think, with expansion coming kinda dangerous) that would be the bigger fear.

I wouldn't pay much for him as far as assets go, but I wouldn't mind taking him in... hed be the 2nd best RHD on our roster... by default but whos counting.
Yeah, I saw that modified-NTC as well; that's tough.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Why do you think teams are in such a hurry to save the Leafs?
Why are they saving the leafs? Toronto needs cap space. Teams need Defencemen. Is he a little over paid. Sure. But teams want to help their own team. Not worry about saving Toronto. There’s a few small market teams that Zaitsev could help with the cap floor. Teams might actually believe they can turn this player around. Gm’s Take chances.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I was being sarcastic.

The notion the Canucks would give up a valuable piece like Tanev and get a toxic third pairing cap dump signed for five more seasons in return is beyond idiotic.

Oh wow.

What part about Tanev is valuable again? His inability to play more than 60 games? Or his comically bad possession metrics and complete lack of offense?

Reactions: hamzarocks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad