Recalled/Assigned: Nic Petan assigned to the Moose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
So far with the Moose this year it looks like Petan has just one goal - an empty net goal. His shooting percentage is dead last on the team at 3.7% which is slightly than his NHL career average. From the Moose games I have watched he needs to get the shot off quicker. Assists are nice but I still think he needs to score if he wants to work his way back up to the NHL. The Jets would have to be pretty devastated with injuries to get to the point where it was Petan's turn for a call up.
I would agree with this. Even at the Moose level he is gradually tumbling down the depth chart. He now looks to have fallen behind Roslovic, Lemieux and Appleton.

Reactions: libertarian

pictman

Mar 7, 2012
pictish hills
MP is proving this false. A good player make his line mates better. Petan may someday be a MP type player that belongs in the NHL but Petan has yet to prove he can do this. Maybe he will in the future but he is not there yet. The Jets are a better team without Petan then they are with him. Hopefully he can become a player that can help the team but with how the bottom six and top six are playing right now the AHL may be the only place he belongs unless the Jets move him to another team.
My thoughts exactly. I think Lowry is another good example.The return of those 2 players changed the entire look of the bottom 6.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
He needs to be moved. The way he is falling in the depth charts, I'd be shocked if he comes back out of this and ends up a regular for the Jets. Move him until he has at least some value as a prospect - it's the best thing for him and the Jets.

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
For all the talk about Schief being the "anti corsi" because he scores goals in spite of having low corsi Petan may be the true "anti corsi". Last year with a CF% of 57.03 in 54 games he scored 1 goal. I suspect he has great corsi on the Moose this year as well. He could be the poster child for the flaw in the basic premise that when you throw a lot of shots towards the net it predicts that you will score goals regardless of your abilities. In Petan's case that isn't happenning and likely wont happen until he improves his shooting.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
For me it is accepting the fact that he will probably go down in the history books as one of those guys that lit it up in junior but could not crack the show. In my opinion he has had his chances so far but but hasn't done anything to warrant keeping him with the big club. You'd like to see him make it but I am little bit doubtful at this point. I really want to eat my words on this one.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Right now for Nic to get into the lineup, he has to leap frog Dano and Matthias for 3rd line duties, Lemieux and Lipon for 4rth line duties and Roslovic for anything in the top 6. Further to that, players like Perrault, Copp and Armia would most likely be moved up the lines to cover a top 6 injury before Petan got a shot.

Add other players like Appleton, Foley, Vesalainen and Stallard that are creeping up on Petan as well. Nic needs to take a couple of solid steps in development if he is ever going to grab a top 6 job with this team, or he needs to carve out a role that he can provideconsistently, and learn to play in a bottom 6 role.

Montreal seems like a nice fit for Nic, think he would have a solid opportunity there.

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
For me it is accepting the fact that he will probably go down in the history books as one of those guys that lit it up in junior but could not crack the show. In my opinion he has had his chances so far but but hasn't done anything to warrant keeping him with the big club. You'd like to see him make it but I am little bit doubtful at this point. I really want to eat my words on this one.

I would agree here...Dale Derkatch was far more dynamic than Petan, and never cut it in the NHL.
Granted he was a bit smaller and it was a bit of a different game being played back then, but nonetheless he would have blown away Petan skillwise and probably analytically too. But his game didn’t translate to the NHL.

Nic might be too slow for the big European ice too, but he may have a better chance of using his skills there with a bit more room to dipsy doodle. I got to think he’s dropped from at one point being the first call-up to being the 4th or 5th. No way he can be in front of Roslovic, Lemieux, or Appleton at this point.

He’s a poster child for why analytics can’t be the sole reason for keeping a guy in the lineup.

Reactions: tacogeoff

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
MP is proving this false. A good player make his line mates better. Petan may someday be a MP type player that belongs in the NHL but Petan has yet to prove he can do this. Maybe he will in the future but he is not there yet. The Jets are a better team without Petan then they are with him. Hopefully he can become a player that can help the team but with how the bottom six and top six are playing right now the AHL may be the only place he belongs unless the Jets move him to another team.

Perreault doesn't prove anything false for Petan....

Maybe this helps...
1) Chemistry
2) Quality of Teammate

These are two distinct variables, and thus different arguments for Petan.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Maybe this will help if I super simplify and exaggerate things with a thought experiment... (I'm partially making up shit here to get the concepts through)

Let's say you have two bottom-six lines of equal TOI that each are missing a third player: Line A and Line B.
Line A consists of a play driver and a shooter with a combined WAR of 5.
Line B consists of two grinders with a combined WAR of 5.

Then lets say we have three players: Player X, Player Y, and Player Z.
Player X is an all-around player, and the best overall of the three.
Player Y is a playmaker, and equal to Player Z in quality.
Player Z is a grinder, and equal to Player Y in quality.

Player X is all around, and so he fits in chemistry wise equally so in each line. Let's pretend he improves each line by 10 WAR. Overall you could view him as a +10 WAR player.

Player Y lacks certain skills and fits better on Line A. He improves Line A by 5 WAR but hurts Line B by 2 WAR. Overall you could view him as a +3 WAR player. Keep him on line A though and he "looks" like a +5 WAR player. Keep him on line B though and he "looks" like a -2 WAR player.

Player Z lacks certain skills so he becomes more "just here for the ride" on Line A than Player Y was, and they improve by 2 WAR. He also adds 4 WAR if he's with the grinders. Overall you could view him as a +3 WAR player.

This is the conversation going on with Petan.

In your example MP is more like Player X. MP is better than Petan. He's also better than a lot of players than just Petan. He makes everyone better. Whether or not MP actually makes everyone better equally may not be exactly true. Maybe MP doesn't improve Hendricks and Tanev by the same extent due to chemistry... and maybe he does.

Petan *DOES* play better with better linemates, just like all players do. But the difference isn't just due to QoT. This isn't merely a belief, but one supported by the results.

What is a just belief/hypothesis is the overall tradeoffs. Some believe that if Petan were on a line with Copp, Dano, Armia, etc. and kept away from Tanev, Hendricks, and Thorburn in the bottom-six, he would have been worth keeping on the Jets line up.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Wow. Petan has barely a full NHL season worth of games and you folk are comparing him to a 28 year old elite 5on5 performer with a 400+ nhl games. He’s ahead of Perrault at the same point in their career.

Nothing about the Maurices use of Petan has put him in a position to succeed. Why is that?

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Okay Garrett but Petan did play with Dano, Armia and Copp and he did not produce.

I'll separate all combinations where Petan has at least 15 minutes with those players into my five semi-arbitrary types:

"Top-Six Skill"
Wheeler, Connor, Petan: 59% Corsi, 7 games, 48 TOI
Wheeler, Scheifele, Petan: 68% Corsi, 12 games, 24 TOI
Wheeler, Ehlers, Petan: 62% Corsi, 22 games, 21 TOI

"Middle-Six Skill" (ie: half of the above and half of the below)
Wheeler, Dano, Petan: 70% Corsi, 16 games, 29 TOI

"Bottom-Six Skill"
Armia, Copp, Petan: 63% Corsi, 21 games, 54 TOI
Armia, Dano, Petan: 62% Corsi, 6 games, 10 TOI

"North/South or Grind"
Copp, Thorburn, Petan: 44% Corsi, 23 games, 81 TOI
Copp, Stafford, Petan: 49% Corsi, 20 games, 43 TOI
Thorburn, Tanev, Petan: 40% Corsi, 15 games, 57 TOI
Thorburn, Dano, Petan: 32% Corsi, 10 games, 19 TOI

"Other" (I don't know how to qualify this)
Burmistrov, Stafford Petan: 55% Corsi, 13 games, 23 TOI

Last edited:

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Wow. Petan has barely a full NHL season worth of games and you folk are comparing him to a 28 year old elite 5on5 performer with a 400+ nhl games. He’s ahead of Perrault at the same point in their career.

Nothing about the Maurices use of Petan has put him in a position to succeed. Why is that?
The jets have better options right now in Lemieux and Roslovic. Many a player succeeded in worse situations.

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015
The jets have better options right now in Lemieux and Roslovic. Many a player succeeded in worse situations.
lemieux is not a better option than petan lmao stop.

petan is a better hockey player than all of our current bottom 6 minus perreault (who shouldn't even be there right now).

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
lemieux is not a better option than petan lmao stop. petan is a better hockey player than all of our current bottom 6 minus perreault (who shouldn't even be there right now).
Lemieux has more goals for the Moose. Lemieux is faster and someone just said the NHL is all about speed now. Lemieux is also tougher grittier and better at drawing penalties.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016

except for those 80 games in the nhl. other than that though.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

I wouldn't say he's ahead of Perreault at the same age at all. Petan is now in his draft +5 season and is a 0.62 PPG player on a very good AHL team and a 0.00 PPG player in the NHL, with the majority of those points being assists. Perreault was a 1.03 PPG player on a pretty average AHL team and 0.4 PPG player in the NHL in his draft +5. At this stage in their careers Perreault was the much better player. By the time he was in Washington he was far more than just a one dimensional playmaker like Petan currently is.

lemieux is not a better option than petan lmao stop.

petan is a better hockey player than all of our current bottom 6 minus perreault (who shouldn't even be there right now).

I'd say for any line other then a line that includes Scheif or Little, Lemieux is the much better option. He's a better skater, a better forechecker, harder on the puck, tougher, a better checker, a better two way player and a better scorer. The only thing Petan really has over Lemieux at this point is he scored more in junior and is a better playmaker. But without another aspect to his game he is unlikely to make it in the NHL. If we can only play him with our top centers that means we have to move someone else off those lines to play in a lesser role. Making them less effective. I'd rather not.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
How valuable can a player be if he can only be successful playing with two or three players on the team? What happens if they get injured?

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I'll separate all combinations where Petan has at least 15 minutes with those players into my five semi-arbitrary types:

"Top-Six Skill"
Wheeler, Connor, Petan: 59% Corsi, 7 games, 48 TOI
Wheeler, Scheifele, Petan: 68% Corsi, 12 games, 24 TOI
Wheeler, Ehlers, Petan: 62% Corsi, 22 games, 21 TOI

"Middle-Six Skill" (ie: half of the above and half of the below)
Wheeler, Dano, Petan: 70% Corsi, 16 games, 29 TOI

"Bottom-Six Skill"
Armia, Copp, Petan: 63% Corsi, 21 games, 54 TOI
Armia, Dano, Petan: 62% Corsi, 6 games, 10 TOI

"North/South or Grind"
Copp, Thorburn, Petan: 44% Corsi, 23 games, 81 TOI
Copp, Stafford, Petan: 49% Corsi, 20 games, 43 TOI
Thorburn, Tanev, Petan: 40% Corsi, 15 games, 57 TOI
Thorburn, Dano, Petan: 32% Corsi, 10 games, 19 TOI

"Other" (I don't know how to qualify this)
Burmistrov, Stafford Petan: 55% Corsi, 13 games, 23 TOI
I think this is really telling

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
You realize we have Hendricks playing a regular shift?
Yes great lets get Petan to penalty kill something he has never done in his career. Plus Hendricks has more goals than Petan. If we were going to bring up someone to replace Hendricks it would be Lemieux or Roslo. Petan is done deal with it.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
All but 2 or 3*

Aren't you talking hypothetically?

Practically speaking. The only real opening for Petan on this roster is RW (not his strong side) perhaps LW if they shift Copp back to C. He either replaces Tanev or Armia. Or do you see something else?

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
You realize we have Hendricks playing a regular shift?

Are you suggesting I'm unaware of who plays on this team? I follow this team as closely as anyone here and more closely than most

Petan is not going to have a future as a C on this team. He has to find a role as a winger IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad