Recalled/Assigned: Nic Petan assigned to the Moose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
while he has had success in previous years he looked like shit playing with anyone in his small sample size this year and that included players he looked decent with last year.

It's kinda been the reverse of Tanev who looked like shit last year but has been good this year.

Not every player should be judged on past results without any merit being given to their current play.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
So far with the Moose this year it looks like Petan has just one goal - an empty net goal. His shooting percentage is dead last on the team at 3.7% which is slightly better than his NHL career average. From the Moose games I have watched he needs to get the shot off quicker. Assists are nice but I still think he needs to score if he wants to work his way back up to the NHL.

Since I laced on the skates for the first time and started to (poorly) play hockey, I was told that assists are as good as goals. So were all my friends. Maybe we were just in an alternate earth...

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Since I laced on the skates for the first time and started to (poorly) play hockey, I was told that assists are as good as goals. So were all my friends. Maybe we were just in an alternate earth...

They aren't. That's just something you tell ankle benders who can't score but can at least make a pass. ;)

Reactions: Jimby and tacogeoff

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I was a big Petan fan but when does the guy actually start to produce? Still a lot of flaws in his game ie. shot, skating, intensity level...

Connor busts his butt off for the Jets has a decent shot, skates well and brings it every shift, different skill set than Petan but Connor is playing well in the NHL!~

Reactions: libertarian

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
SO what happened here? Did the Jets send out a memo to some of you guys to do whatever you can to minimize Petan's skills and talents and exaggerate his weaknesses as much as possible? Such bizarre behavior around here.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
SO what happened here? Did the Jets send out a memo to some of you guys to do whatever you can to minimize Petan's skills and talents and exaggerate his weaknesses as much as possible? Such bizarre behavior around here.
Indeed bizarre. Like defending a guy who doesn't belong in the NHL.

Do not get me wrong. I'm sure he's a good kid and he has a future in other leagues.

Last edited by a moderator:

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Do we not want every one of our prospects to turn out well, even if they only improve their stock enough to get us another asset in a trade?

I don't get the denigration that goes on regarding some of our prospects.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Some guys just lack that fire to **** **** up. Perreault has that fire, Petan does not. You cannot teach the fire.

He appears to also lack confidence - K Conner was similar last year and in his first few games this season but he got it back - fairly quickly.
It must be hard for a player who was always top shelf to all of a sudden realize he's almost starting over - he didn't adapt to the NHL game.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I don't get why we spend so much time discussing one of our prospects who turn out to be less than stellar than say discussing Niku or Poolman. A second rounder not turning out is not that big of a deal look at all the other 2nd rounders whose career doesn't mount to much.
Do we not want every one of our prospects to turn out well, even if they only improve their stock enough to get us another asset in a trade?

I don't get the denigration that goes on regarding some of our prospects.
d

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I don't get why we spend so much time discussing one of our prospects who turn out to be less than stellar than say discussing Niku or Poolman. A second rounder not turning out is not that big of a deal look at all the other 2nd rounders whose career doesn't mount to much.

You're welcome to ignore any thread that does not agree with you, just as others are welcome to discuss any aspect of the Jets they're interested in. This is a thread about Petan, so it's not unusual that we're discussing Petan in this thread.

Let me ask this though: Petan is a Jets prospect - he's an asset of the organization that they spent a 2nd round pick on. If he turns out well, EVEN IF there's no spot for him on the Jets, this is a positive thing for the franchise. You either have an NHL roster player, or a valuable commodity that can be used in a trade - as a Jets fan, this must be something that you can see value in, no?

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
You're welcome to ignore any thread that does not agree with you, just as others are welcome to discuss any aspect of the Jets they're interested in. This is a thread about Petan, so it's not unusual that we're discussing Petan in this thread.

Let me ask this though: Petan is a Jets prospect - he's an asset of the organization that they spent a 2nd round pick on. If he turns out well, EVEN IF there's no spot for him on the Jets, this is a positive thing for the franchise. You either have an NHL roster player, or a valuable commodity that can be used in a trade - as a Jets fan, this must be something that you can see value in
Unfortunately doesn't look like other teams are even willing to give us a fifth for him.

Last edited by a moderator:

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Unfortunately doesn't look like other teams are even willing to give us a fifth for him.

You have zero way of knowing this.

All prospects have different timelines on their development - the point of my message is that we should all hope that ALL of our prospects turn out, even if the only reason for the development of said prospect is to use them a gambit in a trade.

Reactions: Mud Turtle

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I still feel Petan can contribute to this organization, but Pmo prefers to deploy different players in bottom six. I still would love to see a perreault petan armia line followed by a copp Lowry Tanev, that just screams balance to me an I feel petan would thrive there, just my opinion. But I feel Pmo prefers Hendricks in there this year so that's how she goes.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Petan is the slowest small guy in the pros! He’s fine where he is for now.
I don't know if he is the slowest, but the lack of pace to his game has been the biggest block to any NHL traction IMO. Maybe he finds it, but it seems pretty unlikely at this point. I see him as trade bait at the TD if we are buyers like I believe we will be.

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
I don't know if he is the slowest, but the lack of pace to his game has been the biggest block to any NHL traction IMO. Maybe he finds it, but it seems pretty unlikely at this point. I see him as trade bait at the TD if we are buyers like I believe we will be.

Sure if a great return is in the cards! Likely have package him with Trouba for a monster style return!! 1st rounder, Top prospect D, maybe, An active Top 6!

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Sure if a great return is in the cards! Likely have package him with Trouba for a monster style return!! 1st rounder, Top prospect D, maybe, An active Top 6!
Dont think jets will trade trouba or myers till summer. Petan literally has no value at all if traded. Probably playing in europe next year.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
Every time I see this thread have new posts I am worried Petan has been called back up.
Please never again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad