NHL Scouting Combine - Buffalo, NY May 27-June 2

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Dahlin says Scouting Combine testing 'kind of hard' but fun

BUFFALO -- Rasmus Dahlin, the consensus No. 1 prospect in the 2018 NHL Draft, finished in the top 25 in two of the eight stations during the fitness testing portion of the NHL Scouting Combine.

"It was fun," Dahlin said Saturday, when all but one of the events were done. "Was kind of hard. But most of the time it was just fun."

With cameras following his every step, Dahlin started by having his height and weight measured at 6-foot-2.75, 185.32 pounds.

He went 104.25 inches in the standing broad jump, then hit 16.41 inches in the vertical jump. He generated 5.78 watts of power per kilogram in the bench press, which was changed this year to measure the power a player generates when he lifts the bar rather than the number of repetitions he does.

After completing the pro agility drill -- a 15-foot sprint one way, a 30-foot sprint the other way, then a 15-foot sprint to the center start/finish line -- he completed 10 pullups, which tied for 22nd. His left-hand grip was 139 pounds.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Since GMs themselves have said the combine is useless outside of interviewing players why don't they turn it into something actually entertaining and put it on TV? Like a Prospects All-Star Competition..or something. I'd rather see them race on skates or see how hard their shots are instead of a bunch of things that barely relate to football let alone hockey.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Agents would never want them playing without being property of a team

A skills competition like the all star weekend would be really really fun though

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Since GMs themselves have said the combine is useless outside of interviewing players why don't they turn it into something actually entertaining and put it on TV? Like a Prospects All-Star Competition..or something. I'd rather see them race on skates or see how hard their shots are instead of a bunch of things that barely relate to football let alone hockey.

Or let’s leave it to it’s purpose. An evaluation tool for GMs/scouting staffs

The combine isn’t being done to entertain us. Also the logistics would be ridiculous to pull off for 100 or so players to be in a skills competition.

Last edited:

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
I didn't save the link to the article but an NHL GM told a reporter that on-ice testing is coming in the future.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
As for the testing itself, one of the questions that always comes up about the combine is the lack of on-ice events. Sure, it’s interesting and, admittedly, amusing to see these kids push themselves to the point of puking on stationary bikes, but is there practical application?

I spoke with one NHL exec who believes that eventually, on-ice testing will come to the combine. The main reason we don’t have it now is because some players haven’t skated in a competitive game in months, while others just completed arduous playoff runs. But the spectacle for an event that has clearly been groomed for TV really calls for it and it seems like we will see it in the coming years.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Or let’s leave it to it’s purpose. An evaluation tool for GMs/scouting staffs

The combine isn’t being done to entertain us. Also the logistics would be ridiculous to pull off for 100 or so players to be in a skills competition.

The entire sport is the entertainment business, I'm sure the NHL would love even a small chance to garner more interest in the sport + money.

They already do it with 44 players at the NHL all star game whats another 60 more? Just have it run 2 days like the combine does anyways as I read they do the bike tests on a separate day. A skate around the rink takes like 13-15 seconds per 2 players. That would take a grand total of like 12-13 minutes to get through that and its not like shot power would take long either or an agility test. Its not like they will be on bikes for 15 minutes per person with like 4 bikes or however many they had (cant tell from videos I'd imagine more but that was all I could see.)

Reactions: Hasek

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Agents would never want them playing without being property of a team

A skills competition like the all star weekend would be really really fun though

Yeah I just meant the skills comp.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
I'd love to trade into the 1st round for Tkachuk. The Sabres badly need a player like him on their team. We have no forwards who plays the game with an edge, soft.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey

The 2018 NHL combine wrapped up in Buffalo, N.Y., on Saturday morning as prospects took part in rigorous drills in front of scouts and executives from all 31 teams.

Sportsnet’s Jeff Marek and Sam Cosentino broke down all the results and interviewed some of the top prospects, including projected No. 1 pick Rasmus Dahlin.

And if you happened to miss it, there’s no need to worry. You can watch the broadcast in its entirety below.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Rasmus Dahlin............The Sandman

How close were you to being a forward instead of a defenseman?

"It was close. I think I started to realize, though, that as a defender you could also play offensive but also defensive, and I like to help the team. I felt there was more responsibility as a defenseman and I liked that. I played center a lot until I was 13- or 14 years old and it was a lot of fun. But defense has always been a lot more interesting to me. I feel playing center helped me become a better D-man with all the skills I learned, and I know what the forwards are doing when they come in over the blue line. Knowing what they're going to do is probably the most important thing."
cut.jpg

Do you think you are NHL-ready and what does it take to become an NHL defenseman?
"I told myself that if I get the chance I will do everything I can (in training camp) to play in the NHL and then we will see what everybody (in the organization) says. I'm feeling as ready as I can be. I think in order to play in the NHL as a defenseman today you need to skate well, pass well and have good strength in the defensive zone."

In addition to training in Frolunda, where else did you train or work out in your spare time in Sweden?

"When I was younger, I trained at a quarry that was full of sandhills that was an hour and a half away from home in Gothenburg. It was a hard way to train in the summer because it consists of huge sandhills. When you're running in straight lines, in sand, it's not easy. You have to run up and sometimes get stuck. It helps build the body and it's mentally challenging."

What other non-hockey athletes do you enjoy watching? Also, rumor has it you were a pretty good BMX biker. Is that true?

"I'm a fan of many great athletes. I played a lot of soccer as a kid and I'm a big fan of Zlatan Ibrahimovic of the L.A. Galaxy. He's a Swedish god in our country, such a good athlete. He's like the (Lionel) Messi of Sweden. And everyone knows Messi is one of the greatest soccer players in history. As far as biking goes, I don't think I do great things on the bike. I just like jumping high."

Do you think you play this game with an edge, and what type of shot do you prefer from the point when you get an opportunity?

"Of course, I love to compete. It's how I've played the game my whole life. I know you have to give it your all if you want to win. My favorite shot from the point is a hard one-timer; that's the coolest way to score a goal. It doesn't matter if the coach puts me on the left or right point because I can play both sides. I will do my best in any situation."
Five Questions with Rasmus Dahlin

Reactions: Chainshot

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
I'd love to trade into the 1st round for Tkachuk. The Sabres badly need a player like him on their team. We have no forwards who plays the game with an edge, soft.

I just don't think it's an option for the Sabres to climb back into the top 10 or even top 5 to land Brady Tkachuk. Sabres don't have the assets to get that high, unless they part with a higher end return like Reinhart, Mittlestad, Guhle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad