NHL Scouting Combine - Buffalo, NY May 27-June 2

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016

Not at the Draft Combine not at the meeting with the incoming franchise savior. Hot take yes but I do doubt this guy's commitment, unlike most coaches who've spent their lives struggling to climb the rungs of the sport Housley was a rich NHL superstar from 18 years old on, retired and coached high school hockey for a decade.

Genny Screamer

Jul 11, 2017
Buffalo, NY

Not at the Draft Combine not at the meeting with the incoming franchise savior. Hot take yes but I do doubt this guy's commitment, unlike most coaches who've spent their lives struggling to climb the rungs of the sport Housley was a rich NHL superstar from 18 years old on, retired and coached high school hockey for a decade.

Really??? He's got to support his wife.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

If you watch that Burke video I posted he said he has no interest in having the coach involved in the drafting process. Says they don't know anything about the players and only watching one game or some highlights can make someone get unreasonably excited about a guy who they haven't watched in multiple situations over a season. The way he talked made it sound reasonable to assume this is standard practice in the NHL. He also made the distinction between an NFL coach and an NHL coach when it comes to their involvement in the draft process.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Housley not attending an event coaches generally don't attend in order to support his wife's campaign is due to a lack of commitment? Bizarre take followed with a bizarre series of random thoughts/free association about him being a rich 18yr superstar who retired and coached HS hockey. Which is oddly supposed to be relevant to a lack of commitment. Ok then

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Here - in case you missed it in the draft thread - here is Brian Burke from last year before the combine when he was still with the Flames. He specifically addresses why he doesn't want coaches involved with the draft process. Look - you can dig on Housley all you want, and there is legitimate stuff, but this manufactured outrage that he "doesn't watch game film" or "isn't at the combine" is just petty and useless.

Go to 1:50 if you just want to hear about why Burkie doesn't want to hear from the coaches.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Here - in case you missed it in the draft thread - here is Brian Burke from last year before the combine when he was still with the Flames. He specifically addresses why he doesn't want coaches involved with the draft process. Look - you can dig on Housley all you want, and there is legitimate stuff, but this manufactured outrage that he "doesn't watch game film" or "isn't at the combine" is just petty and useless.

Go to 1:50 if you just want to hear about why Burkie doesn't want to hear from the coaches.

Its not like Brian Burke is the epidome of success in the modern post lockout NHL.

MacOfNiagara

Feb 8, 2006
Ithaca
Ok, don't shoot me, I know my Buffalo sports fan trauma history is a factor, but.. during the standing jump Rasmus each time lsnded awkward and on one of them seemed to wince. now a few tests later he was rubbing his lower back and a trainer came over and took a look at it. I'm sure it's nothing other than a twinge.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012

Thanks for this. I figured as much but didn't know for sure. As much as I hated Housley last season I didn't see a need for him to be there until after the draft.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Not that it matters too much but how are Dahlin's combine numbers compared to the athletic freak Eichel was/is?

Edit: Some of Eichel's combine results for anyone curious as a comparison. Saw Guhle in a lot of those top 10's as well.

Grip Strength : 176 lbs
Standing Long Jump115"
Vertical Jump26.181"
Pro Agility Left4.48
Pro Agility Right4.24
Bench Press16
Pull-Ups9
Wingate (Bike)17.42
VO2 (Bike)12:15
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
Yeah I can't see the big deal about Housley not being there. Obviously it makes sense for the head coach to be at the actual draft for introduction to players and such, but the combine, eh...I don't necessarily want the coach having the big a say anyway, they can get canned too often.

Is Babcock even there? He's probably the most long-term safe coach I can think of.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Yeah I can't see the big deal about Housley not being there. Obviously it makes sense for the head coach to be at the actual draft for introduction to players and such, but the combine, eh...I don't necessarily want the coach having the big a say anyway, they can get canned too often.

Is Babcock even there? He's probably the most long-term safe coach I can think of.

Babcock is Matthews' butler for the week and couldn't make it. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad