NHL Scouting Combine - Buffalo, NY May 27-June 2

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
When Ted Black was president I asked him if they would have on ice drills they can open to fans and he said the combine is boring and no one would want to see it. I politely disagreed.

Ted Black had to be the least qualified man to ever hold a title with any Buffalo sports franchise.

Never heard anything out of his mouth that indicated he had the slightest clue about hockey - both on and off the ice.

And neither did the rest of us.

Nice job with the "Turd Jersey's", Ted.....

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
What would be the point? The have 100s of hours of video of them playing games they can watch. What drills could the put them through that could possibly tell them more than what the would see in the videos? What skill drills would you have them do?

I'm not sure it would have any real scouting benefit but putting the kids through the same skills competition that the All-Stars go through at the All-Star game would be fun. Some people prefer that to the actual game. I would hope it wouldn't change any team's mind about a player but we all know we'd watch.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I'm not sure it would have any real scouting benefit but putting the kids through the same skills competition that the All-Stars go through at the All-Star game would be fun. Some people prefer that to the actual game. I would hope it wouldn't change any team's mind about a player but we all know we'd watch.

That would be an enormously time consuming task that would serve little to no evaluating purpose. At the end of the day the combine is about evaluating players and teams getting to know a bunch with interviews. A skills competition would be a pointless add on.

Reactions: Chainshot

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Ted Black had to be the least qualified man to ever hold a title with any Buffalo sports franchise.

Never heard anything out of his mouth that indicated he had the slightest clue about hockey - both on and off the ice.

And neither did the rest of us.

Nice job with the "Turd Jersey's", Ted.....

Larry Quinn says stfu and hold his beer

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
That would be an enormously time consuming task that would serve little to no evaluating purpose. At the end of the day the combine is about evaluating players and teams getting to know a bunch with interviews. A skills competition would be a pointless add on.

I wasn't saying they should do it - just that if they aired it I'd watch.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Complete list of 104 players invited to the NHL Scouting Combine - Sportsnet.ca

The NHL Scouting Combine is taking place in Buffalo, N.Y. again this week. Teams and players have landed and have started to meet already.

On Saturday, the players will run through most of the drills that the combine is publicly known for, but in the week leading up to the event, the players interview with teams and go through medical examinations.

Sportsnet.ca will be live streaming the Scouting Combine on Saturday, June 2 for three hours, beginning at 9:00 a.m. ET and wrapping up at noon. You’ll be able to watch the groupings that include top prospect Rasmus Dahlin and the top projected forward off the board, Andrei Svechnikov. The official groupings and their start times will be released closer to the drills on Saturday.

In total, the league invited 104 players to the 2018 NHL Scouting Combine. All are listed below, with the team they played for this season and the position they play.

Reactions: Dingo44

Habby Patty

May 7, 2018
Ontario
Anyone know if the event will be hosted on sportsnet on cable too? From Toronto and wanting to watch but i'd rather watch on tv.

Genny Screamer

Jul 11, 2017
Buffalo, NY
It's interesting to look back three years ago when Buffalo interviewed and drafted Jack Eichel.

I assume that the same type of people will be in attendance during Dahlin interview tomorrow...Terry Pegula, Botts, Housley, Randy Sexton, Ryan Jankowski, etc. Will Kim Pegula have a larger presence during the interview?

What questions will they ask? If Buffalo selects him then what kind of support system will he have? Are his parents planning to live in Buffalo?
Do you prefer the left or right side?
What do you perceive as your weaknesses? What do you need to work on?
What kind of coaching do you respond to?

What questions would you ask?

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Iirc the Sabres interviews under Murray were seen as one of the toughest and the ones last year under Botterill guys were saying they were among the most stress free.

I don’t know what I’d ask later pick options but with Dahlin I’d just discuss how we’d should be using him with him weighing in and then helping him figure out the things he needs to get his new life in Buffalo started.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Five Questions with Andrei Svechnikov

You played against many of the top prospects of the draft at the 2018 IIHF World Junior Championship, including Dahlin (Frolunda, SWE), Filip Zadina (Halifax, QMJHL) and Brady Tkachuk (Boston University, Hockey East). What do you think of those players?

"Well, Dahlin is a great player; he seems to be able to do everything. But ... it's going to be fun going up against him, hopefully, in the NHL one day. It's really not my time to say I am better than anybody else. I am confident in what I can do. The scouts will see that we are all great players; they have to make the hard decisions at the draft. I just go out there and play the game I love."

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I haven't seen a single thing on the combine written by our local media.

Is this normally how it is? Is Saturday the only day that they will cover?
I can't remember.

I'd just love to hear an interview with Dahlin, or hear how his interview went with teams.

I feel like in years past we at least got that type of info (I remember last year hearing about players interviews with the Sabres, and how they were one of the more easy going interviews).

Is it maybe because of all the cuts at the Buffalo News? Vogl is on his way out and Harrington was in Vegas all week.
Or am I just remembering wrong, and this is how it normally is?

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Harrington will be at the Combine on Saturday and not at Game #3 in Washington -

Mike Harrington @ByMHarrington -
#StanleyCup today and a @TBNSports scheduling note: Neither team is practicing. The coaches are having conference calls. Game 3 is Saturday night in DC. I will not be attending due to the Scouting Combine in Buffalo. I will pick up the series again for Game 4 on Monday night.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Derg12

Mar 12, 2014
I wonder if a massively obvious 1st overall pick has ever declined the combine.

Why even show up? It’s not like if he doesn’t show up for interviews, pull-ups, and vertical jumps he’s NOT gonna get taken 1st overall.

I thought about this too but I figure at the very least it's practice for what to expect in terms of media engagement here in the US and Canada. Get acclimated to the city a bit more, and hell, with the weather the way it has been compared to his last visit here, he's probably shocked at the difference. World Juniors was some nasty-ass snow and here he is in town where it's completely opposite of the arctic weather we had.

Like some said, apartment hunting likely as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad