NHL Scouting Combine - Buffalo, NY May 27-June 2

Slangston

Buffalo Sabres
Apr 3, 2003
Western New York
The press here is going to be all-in on Dahlin. Anyways, has anyone heard anything about possible on-ice drills in the future? There were some rumblings about it being a possibility in the coming years.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The press here is going to be all-in on Dahlin. Anyways, has anyone heard anything about possible on-ice drills in the future? There were some rumblings about it being a possibility in the coming years.

Knowing Buffalo press, it's likely that they start tearing into him for not bench pressing Alden or being able to vault the Niagara Gorge. They'll be writing him off by the end of the summer.

Edit - in seriousness, I haven't seen anything but the dates and that Liam Kirk is going to be the first UK trained/developed player at a Combine.

Reactions: BackGroundMusic

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Had to be done. lol
Casey-Mittelstadt.jpg

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
It would be nice to get a look at those prospects that might fall in the 25-35 range. Maybe we can poach a quality long term Winger/Dman project with higher end ceiling; Second line, Second pairing.

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
When Ted Black was president I asked him if they would have on ice drills they can open to fans and he said the combine is boring and no one would want to see it. I politely disagreed.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I wonder if a massively obvious 1st overall pick has ever declined the combine.

Why even show up? It’s not like if he doesn’t show up for interviews, pull-ups, and vertical jumps he’s NOT gonna get taken 1st overall.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
I wonder if a massively obvious 1st overall pick has ever declined the combine.

Why even show up? It’s not like if he doesn’t show up for interviews, pull-ups, and vertical jumps he’s NOT gonna get taken 1st overall.
Show a commitment to do something even when you don't have to. Establish a relationship with the team that is taking you.

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
Unless there's some dramatic risk of injury, and I don't think they really do anything that's overly dangerous beyond a high-level training routine, what benefit is there to skipping it?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Unless there's some dramatic risk of injury, and I don't think they really do anything that's overly dangerous beyond a high-level training routine, what benefit is there to skipping it?

One of the bigger parts of the entire combine are the player interviews. Yes players have spoken to scouts, player personnel director’s, assistant GM is or GM’s throughout the season. But the combine gives teams the opportunity to interview with everyone in the room.

Reactions: jBuds and Baccus

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
One of the bigger parts of the entire combine are the player interviews. Yes players have spoken to scouts, player personnel director’s, assistant GM is or GM’s throughout the season. But the combine gives teams the opportunity to interview with everyone in the room.
I was going to say exactly this. The interviews are a huge part of combine weekend.

Reactions: jBuds

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Dahlin, Svechnikov among those in spotlight at 2018 NHL Scouting Combine

Rasmus Dahlin and Andrei Svechnikov, the projected top two picks in the 2018 NHL Draft, are among 104 prospects scheduled to participate in the 2018 NHL Scouting Combine at KeyBank Center and HarborCenter in Buffalo beginning Monday.

The combine gives the 31 NHL teams physical and medical assessments of the top prospects ahead of the 2018 draft at American Airlines Center in Dallas on June 22-23.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It’s nice that they publish the article, but I don’t understand why there is no link to a roster of participants. That seems like a missed opportunity by the NHL.

Reactions: 26CornerBlitz

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
I don't understand the NHL not making the Combine like the NFL's, why shouldn't these kids be put on the ice and tested for skills? The draft propects in the NFL and NBA have to travel all over North America for individual workouts with multiple teams prior to the draft.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I don't understand the NHL not making the Combine like the NFL's, why shouldn't these kids be put on the ice and tested for skills? The draft propects in the NFL and NBA have to travel all over North America for individual workouts with multiple teams prior to the draft.

What would be the point? The have 100s of hours of video of them playing games they can watch. What drills could the put them through that could possibly tell them more than what the would see in the videos? What skill drills would you have them do?

Last edited:

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
What would be the point? The have 100s of hours of video of them playing games they can watch. What drills could the put them through that could possibly tell them more than what the would see in the videos? What skill drills would you have them do?

For the fans I meant, live and TV. But for teams too it would be good, they do skills testing at the mid-season CHL prospects game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad