NHL Network

PRMan

Aug 9, 2005
Yorba Linda, CA
www.product4me.com
Look at this thread, which details the rollout of all the new HD channels on DirecTV:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=914047

Note especially this part:

# Channels in Test Mode with no official carriage announcement
# NHL Network

There is no way the channel would be in test mode if it wasn't imminent.

The word is that the NHL is forcing Center Ice providers to carry the NHL Network as well. DirecTV was the first to sign up for Center Ice this season, so the assumption is that NHL Network was part of that deal.

And the CSRs are always the last to know these things at DirecTV.

RedAce

Mar 9, 2005
New York, NY
Cablevision doesn't even know yet if they are gonna be offering Center ice this year so i doubt the'll have the NHLnetwork.

Cablevision NY has to be THE Worst cable company in the country IMO.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I'm not holding my breath that we're getting it on Verizon. Not only do we not have Center Ice....we don't have anything.

iceblue

Jul 30, 2004
Myrtle Beach
Re DISH: Center Ice in the States does indeed show the home and away feed for the majority of games (one exception being when the games are being aired on Versus or NBC). But even in those instances the other feed can usually be found on CI.

I don't know if the NHL network will be offered, and I refuse to ask the customer service reps. I e-mailed these guys about 2 weeks ago as to when the CI package was going to be available for order. Here is there brilliant response:

Thank you for your email. We apologize for the delayed response. NHL CENTER ICE is back! Thank you for being an NHL fan and for your continued support. While we know that missing a season of NHL hockey, and NHL CENTER ICE, was difficult, we want to assure you that you will witness a compelling, exciting, remarkably competitive 2007/2008 NHL season.

With the new partnership between the NHL and the NHL players, every game will have more speed and more flow as teams will be more offensive-minded. There will be a better on-ice product and more competitive balance in the quest for the Stanley Cup. The rule changes will further maximize the excitement of hockey -- a shootout will be implemented to decide tie games, a new rivalry-based schedule will heighten interest, and aggressive new broadcast initiatives will make our TV product even more compelling. Bottom line – the NHL and NHL CENTER ICE are back and we want you to watch the best players in the world doing what they do best – play NHL hockey!

HughJass*

Thank you for your email. We apologize for the delayed response. NHL CENTER ICE is back! Thank you for being an NHL fan and for your continued support. While we know that missing a season of NHL hockey, and NHL CENTER ICE, was difficult, we want to assure you that you will witness a compelling, exciting, remarkably competitive 2007/2008 NHL season.

With the new partnership between the NHL and the NHL players, every game will have more speed and more flow as teams will be more offensive-minded. There will be a better on-ice product and more competitive balance in the quest for the Stanley Cup. The rule changes will further maximize the excitement of hockey -- a shootout will be implemented to decide tie games, a new rivalry-based schedule will heighten interest, and aggressive new broadcast initiatives will make our TV product even more compelling. Bottom line – the NHL and NHL CENTER ICE are back and we want you to watch the best players in the world doing what they do best – play NHL hockey!

I don't see what's wrong. You stuck in a time warp? Check your calendar, iceblue, it's only October 2.....2005! Why you acting like it's old?

:sarcasm:

Deleted member 3032

Re DISH: Center Ice in the States does indeed show the home and away feed for the majority of games (one exception being when the games are being aired on Versus or NBC). But even in those instances the other feed can usually be found on CI.

I don't know if the NHL network will be offered, and I refuse to ask the customer service reps. I e-mailed these guys about 2 weeks ago as to when the CI package was going to be available for order. Here is there brilliant response:

I can't believe they're going to be doing shootouts! They're just trying to hook people in cause there was no hockey last year! What a gimmick! :sarcasm:

:shakehead

PromNite

Know Your Enemy
Apr 30, 2007
Tampa, FL

Stammer Time*

Sons of Pirates
Dec 6, 2003
St.Pete, Florida
For those with Brighthouse in Tampa Bay NHL network is up now on channel 808.

Kinda neat that Central Florida is the first place in the US to get something NHL based.

PromNite

Know Your Enemy
Apr 30, 2007
Tampa, FL
For those with Brighthouse in Tampa Bay NHL network is up now on channel 808.

Kinda neat that Central Florida is the first place in the US to get something NHL based.

I saw that, but the programming is still all blank. I assume they will fill it in when they start offering it officially.

zestystrat

Jun 18, 2002
NYC > Atlanta
www.soulhound.com
everyone with dtv needs to email and ***** about it. thats what i did and people will eventually listen if we get enough complaints to them

+1

Here's a repost of my reply from the NHLN thread on the NYR board:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish
It seems as if DirecTV will have it some time this fall...when they actually add it...still anyone's guess at this stage, but it appears October 14th is the next potential chance. DirecTV adds channels on Wednesdays most times, so that's a good time to check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehardfan419
I would NEVER trust anyone you speak with at DIrectv UNLESS its the Customer Retention department. Their regular operators are idiots.....Directv will have the NHL Network.Check the DBS.com forums.

I don't disagree with either comment. That said, I sent an e-mail via their website and got this back:

Thanks for writing. I understand your concern about the NHL network. I see that you've recently joined DIRECTV family and we would like you to know that we appreciate your business. As you know, we don't carry the NHL network right now and we don’t currently have plans to add it to our lineup.

However, we often add programming based on customer requests, and I have forwarded your request to DIRECTV management.

In addition, whenever we add channels to our lineup, we release a statement to the press, so keep an eye on the news to find out about the newest channels or visit our website at directv.com/pr.

Thanks again for writing and please stay tuned to directv.com for the latest news and information about our services.

If only to hurry up the time frame in which they add NHLN, I would recommend sending an e-mail via their website and ask for it. They need to hear from people.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Here is the official press release from the NHL:

NHL Network To Launch In U.S.
Contact Information: Kerry [email protected]

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE / OCTOBER 8, 2007

NHL NETWORK TO LAUNCH IN U.S.

Beginning This Month, 24-Hour Hockey Network To Be Distributed Through Cablevision, Comcast, Cox Communications, DIRECTV, DISH Network®, And Time Warner Cable

Available To 75 Million Homes

Full-time HD Feed Also Available

NEW YORK (October 8, 2007) – NHL Network, the first national network dedicated entirely to hockey, is being launched in the United States, beginning this month, through carriage agreements with Cablevision, Comcast, Cox Communications, DIRECTV, DISH Network and Time Warner Cable. Based on the carriage arrangements, NHL Network will be accessible to 75 million homes.

NHL Network, which launched in Canada in 2001, gives viewers unprecedented 24-hour access to the most comprehensive hockey coverage, both on and off the ice. NHL Network will broadcast 50 live regular-season games in addition to classic games, documentaries, instructional shows, highlights and more.

The U.S. and Canada versions of NHL Network will have similar programming schedules. Initially, the major difference in the two channels will be in live NHL game selections, with each channel focusing on games of greater interest to its fans. All live NHL games will be televised in high-definition on the full-time HD feed (all games subject to local blackout).
The signature show on NHL Network, NHL On The Fly, airs nightly throughout the hockey season and features up-to-the minute hockey information, live look-ins on games in progress, extended highlights, overtime shootouts, real-time scores, interviews, pre- and post-game reports and news conferences. Dan Pollard and Brian Duff rotate as hosts and are joined in-studio for expert analysis from a variety of NHL veterans, including Gary Green, Dave Reid and Bill Berg. Todd Lewis and Jim Van Horne also contribute to the show on a regular basis. Fans can tune in to NHL On The Fly: Final every night during the season immediately following NHL On The Fly for a final wrap-up of the night’s action from around the NHL.

“Our fans across the U.S. and Canada now can have access to the hockey programming they want, regardless the time of day,” said NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman. “We have joined with six of the most-respected cable and satellite distributors in the industry, and that is testimony to the appetite and demand for the NHL.”

“NHL Network’s success in Canada has paved the way for the network’s launch in the U.S.,“ said Rick Brace, President, Revenue, Business Planning and Sports, CTV Inc. “I am delighted to have the opportunity to mirror the success we’ve had in Canada in the U.S.”

About NHL Network
As the definitive hockey destination, NHL Network offers viewers a 24-hour all-access pass to complete hockey coverage both on and off the ice, including live NHL games featuring stars such as Sidney Crosby and Alexander Ovechkin. The network's daily signature show - NHL On The Fly - offers fans exclusive live look-ins to each NHL game, including every goal from every game, complete shootouts, extended highlights, stellar saves, features, interviews, pre- and post-game reports, team press conferences, expert analysis from a variety of hockey insiders and former players, plus special event coverage from the NHL All-Star Game, NHL Stanley Cup Final and NHL Entry Draft. Additional NHL Network programming includes international and amateur hockey, player profiles, interview shows and youth-oriented programs. NHL Network is operated out of Canada and is available in the United States by contacting digital cable or satellite providers.

About the NHL
The National Hockey League, founded in 1917, is the second-oldest of the four major professional team sports leagues in North America. Today, the NHL consists of 30 Member Clubs, each reflecting the League’s international makeup, with players from more than 20 countries represented on team rosters. According to a Simmons Market Research study, NHL fans are younger, more educated, more affluent, and access content through digital means more than any other sport. The NHL entertains more than 100 million fans each season in-arena and through its partners in national television (VERSUS, NBC, TSN, CBC, RDS, RIS, NASN, NHL Network and HDNet) and radio (Westwood One and XM Radio). Through the NHL Foundation, the League’s charitable arm, the NHL raises money and awareness for Hockey Fights Cancer, Hockey’s All-Star Kids and NHL Diversity, and supports the charitable efforts of all NHL players. For more information on the NHL, log on to NHL.com.

### (10/8/07)

NHL is a registered trademark and the NHL Shield, NHL Network name and logo and the word mark Stanley Cup are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All Rights Reserved.

nyrmetros

May 3, 2007
we got it on TWCNYC digital in Queens. it's located next to the sports extra package, but it seems to be free for now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad