NHL Network

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Yeah, and like I said it will probably be only on comcast for a long time. If it even happens, I mean where is the new goalie gear the NHL said they were implementing last year, but had dealer problems. I haven't seen em.

once its available other cable will add it because most of them already have sports packages as part of their digital cable so why wouldn't they add the nhl network to that sports package and up the price a bit

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
once its available other cable will add it because most of them already have sports packages as part of their digital cable so why wouldn't they add the nhl network to that sports package and up the price a bit

Because they have to pay a fee for the network to the NHL or Comcast (whoever is liscensing it). Maybe it can work on the sports package, but judging by the Ratings how many people will sub to it here? Will it be profitable to the cable companies? It's doubtful.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Because they have to pay a fee for the network to the NHL or Comcast (whoever is liscensing it). Maybe it can work on the sports package, but judging by the Ratings how many people will sub to it here? Will it be profitable to the cable companies? It's doubtful.

It will be added on alot of stations. Yes they have to pay rights fees but it is probably going to be low (NFL Network when it came out was 25 cents per subscriber), plus this is designed to be a digital channel that would be part of a sports pack so they wouldn't have to raise the cable rate of every subscriber just charge the ones that want it an extra dollar or 2 for the sports pack. Since it's a digitale channel it will be easier to add on to cable system than OLN/Versus was because OLN/Versus was trying to get on basic.

TheMoose

Jun 23, 2005
NHL Network announces broadcast schedule

Wednesday October 11 NY Islanders at Anaheim 10pm 7pm
Sunday October 15 Dallas at Anaheim 8pm 5pm
Monday October 16 Nashville at NY Islanders 7:30pm 4:30pm
Thursday October 19 Detroit at San Jose 10:30pm 7:30pm
Sunday October 22 Anaheim at Los Angeles 6pm 3pm
Friday October 27 Los Angeles at Columbus 7pm 4pm
Sunday October 29 San Jose at Tampa Bay 5pm 2pm
Sunday October 29 Minnesota at Colorado 8pm 5pm
Sunday November 5 Buffalo at NY Rangers 5pm 2pm
Sunday November 12 Minnesota at Anaheim 8pm 5pm
Wednesday November 15 Philadelphia at Anaheim 10pm 7pm
Friday November 24 * Fan Favourite Game
Friday November 24 New Jersey at Anaheim 4pm 1pm
Sunday December 3 NY Islanders at NY Rangers 5pm 2pm
Sunday December 3 Los Angeles at Anaheim 8pm 5pm
Thursday December 7 Colorado at San Jose 10:30pm 7:30pm
Monday December 11 Phoenix at San Jose 10pm 7pm
Sunday December 17 Colorado at Chicago 7pm 4pm
Wednesday December 20 Dallas at Anaheim 10pm 7pm
Sunday January 7 Tampa Bay at Pittsburgh 7:30pm 4:30pm
Sunday January 14 Minnesota at Chicago 7pm 4pm
Monday January 15 * Fan Favourite Game
Monday February 19 Pittsburgh at NY Islanders 1pm 10am
Monday February 19 Boston at Philadelphia 7pm 4pm
Sunday February 25 Colorado at Anaheim 8pm 5pm
Sunday March 4 Boston at New Jersey 7pm 4pm
Friday March 9 * Fan Favourite Game
Sunday March 11 Los Angeles at Dallas 3:30pm 12:30pm
Friday March 16 Columbus at San Jose 10:30pm 7:30pm
Sunday March 18 Tampa Bay at Washington 1pm 10am
Sunday March 25 NY Rangers at NY Islanders 12:30pm 9:30am
Friday March 30 Phoenix at San Jose 10:30pm 7:30pm
Wednesday April 4 San Jose at Anaheim 10pm 7pm
Friday April 6 * Fan Favourite Game

Milchama

Oct 3, 2006
Comcast doesn't neccesarily have to launch NHL Network in the US

Although Comcast's contract with the NHL obligates them to launch NHL Network on its US systems by August 2007, there are two loopholes that could keep them from doing so:

1. Comcast can pay the NHL a penalty fee if they choose not to launch NHL Network on time. http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/search/article_display.jsp?schema=&vnu_content_id=1001016934
2. Both Comcast and the NHL have the option to cancel the third year of the deal, the one that requires an NHL Network. http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=page.feature&featureId=1694

I think that the US NHL Network is now contingent on whether the 2007-08 season is indeed on Vs. I also think that Comcast is holding out on this effort until they find out if they are getting the final Major League Baseball package or not. Comcast also has to pay the NHL a penalty fee if they sign a deal to carry NFL, NBA or MLB. I would not be surprised if Comcast and the NHL renegotiate their deal after the season.

I bet that if the NHL Network does indeed launch in the US this season, it would be around the all star break or playoffs.

Milchama

Oct 3, 2006
The NHL should just launch the channel themselves like NBA and NFL have done.

Easier said than done. It is very difficult to launch a cable network nationally unless you either own cable systems, or already own nationally distributed cable networks. Comcast fits under both categories, which makes it an excellent partner for the NHL.

The NFL and NBA have much bigger followings than the NHL, which would complicate its attempt to get on cable systems.

TheMoose

Jun 23, 2005
Easier said than done. It is very difficult to launch a cable network nationally unless you either own cable systems, or already own nationally distributed cable networks. Comcast fits under both categories, which makes it an excellent partner for the NHL.

The NFL and NBA have much bigger followings than the NHL, which would complicate its attempt to get on cable systems.

Just as an fyi, Comcast doesn't hold an ownership stake in NHL Network at all. Its owned by the league, Bell Globemedia and another CDN media company. Its all about negotiating a subscriber fee and finding space on the digital dial with all the cable company and satellite subscribers.

Milchama

Oct 3, 2006
Just as an fyi, Comcast doesn't hold an ownership stake in NHL Network at all. Its owned by the league, Bell Globemedia and another CDN media company. Its all about negotiating a subscriber fee and finding space on the digital dial with all the cable company and satellite subscribers.

The American version of NHL Network is owned by the NHL and Comcast. The league's Canadian partners are not involved in the US version of NHL Network.

Elements involved in a launch, besides selling it to other cable companies include either:

1. Licensing the Canadian programming for US use.
2. Producing new programming.
3. A combination of both.

If it will be a simulcast of the Canadian version, advertising would have to be sold to cover the Canadian advertising, and commercial breaks may have to be modified to follow American standards.

Milchama

Oct 3, 2006
MLB doesn't have a TV channel at all.

MLB originally announced plans for a network a few years ago. They then dropped the idea, instead deciding to partner with Fox on a national sports network. Those plans fell through, though, when Fox and MLB failed to get the 8 game NFL package that went to NFL Network.

I'd like an MLB network, with offseason focus on the US and international winter leagues...

TheMoose

Jun 23, 2005
The American version of NHL Network is owned by the NHL and Comcast. The league's Canadian partners are not involved in the US version of NHL Network.

I think you're mistaken to think that the league is going to launch a network in the US and not involve there CDN partners in that launch when a majority of the content of the network that airs in the US will be from the CDN operation.

Milchama

Oct 3, 2006
I think you're mistaken to think that the league is going to launch a network in the US and not involve there CDN partners in that launch when a majority of the content of the network that airs in the US will be from the CDN operation.

The Canadian owners of NHL Network own cable systems and networks in Canada, and no place else. The NHL partnered with them in Canada in order to get distribution there. These companies legally cannot own cable systems and networks in the US.

The only involvement that those Canadian companies will have with the NHL Network in the US would be licensing fees that Comcast and the NHL would have to pay to get the rights to those existing shows.

TheMoose

Jun 23, 2005
The Canadian owners of NHL Network own cable systems and networks in Canada, and no place else. The NHL partnered with them in Canada in order to get distribution there. These companies legally cannot own cable systems and networks in the US.

The only involvement that those Canadian companies will have with the NHL Network in the US would be licensing fees that Comcast and the NHL would have to pay to get the rights to those existing shows.

NHL Network is owned by the league (60%), TSN through Bell Globemedia and Insight sports. These are not distribution companies, but content providers.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
Before anybody gets excited, we will need some more details regarding coverage. If it is on Comcast Cable only, it locks out millions of fans who don't even have the option to get Comcast service.

TheMoose

Jun 23, 2005
Before anybody gets excited, we will need some more details regarding coverage. If it is on Comcast Cable only, it locks out millions of fans who don't even have the option to get Comcast service.

I thought I read they were in talking to all cable and satellite providers. Might be comcast first, but then others would probably add too.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
I thought I read they were in talking to all cable and satellite providers. Might be comcast first, but then others would probably add too.

Might be a hard sell unless it comes free of charge, which wouldn't be a bad idea for a league that needs all the exposure it can get.

iceblue

Jul 30, 2004
Myrtle Beach
Might be a hard sell unless it comes free of charge, which wouldn't be a bad idea for a league that needs all the exposure it can get.

If it were free of charge, maybe the kids who play hockey and have no access to the NHL would start watching the big league, thus starting a new generation of fans. Could be a good marketing tool...

rekrul

Mar 7, 2003
bittersville,ca
Visit site

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
A similar quote from this time last year:

Response:
The NHL is in the process of preparing for the launch of the NHL Network for sometime in 2006. We hope to be carried on all major distributors in the US.

rekrul

Mar 7, 2003
bittersville,ca
Visit site
I find on my cable comming Dec 31st channel 411- the tennis channel?????

lets see I get 2 all soccer channels, the NBA network, the NFL network, Golf channel, College sports TV, OLN canadien and now all Tennis all the time..........

But Comcast can't live up to the promise of putting the NHL network on their Digital package?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->