TSN: NHL charity game in Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Given the current BS that is occuring between NHL and NHLPA I question the sincerity of the players in this game. I find it hard to believe anything they say or do. Just give the money directly to the charity(or any worthy charity for that matter) and don't go.
I wish I was rich, I would buy all of the tickets and burn them.

So that people who want to go can't?

I understand people not caring I guess, but the animosity and cynicism shown in this thread goes way beyond not caring. If it's not what you want to do with your Wednesday evening, don't go. But there's absolutely nothing wrong with locked-out NHL players putting together a little scrimmage for charity, and some people jump at the chance to see guys like Steven Stamkos, Phil Kessel and Dion Phaneuf in a landmark building like Maple Leaf Gardens for a pretty great price, regardless of whether or not it's competitive hockey.

I found out this morning that I've got a pair of tickets as an early Christmas present, and I can't wait to go. These kinds of games, like I said earlier, are more about the atmosphere than the game itself, and they're also a cool way for people to see stars that they might normally not get the chance to see. The hockey itself is secondary to the spectacle, and if you don't want to spend your money on that, that's fine. No reason to feel all high-and-mighty because a charity game isn't worth your time.

Last edited:

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Whether they are "floating" or not, the players want to give fans some hockey to watch during the lockout while donating to charity at the same time.

THE HORROR!!!!!!!! HOW COULD THEY?

Seriously anyone who has a problem with this has no life.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I would love to go but the travel from London is too much for a Wednesday night.

Would love to see some greats under the roof at MLG. :handclap:

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Lol. No I am not. Throughout this lockout I've been fed all the propaganda every time some player decided to visit a local rink, as a part of the PR machine. If they'd donate 53 cent, you'd hear about it for a week. This is a glorified shinny.

btw, this year my boss and I decided that instead of giving clients gifts for Xmas, we are donating some money to Sick Kids in their names. I got kinda turned off when a client of mine tried very hard to let me know that he'd like a gift cert to The Keg.

Are you as cynical about NHL players when they visit Sick Kids Hospital during the NHL season? Or is that also just propaganda from the player's "PR machine"?

29Potvins

Jul 17, 2012
Some of you are *****ing about NHL players playing for charity? Who cares if they're floating or are only doing this for the PR? I'll tell you who DOESN'T: the people and charity that the money is going to help.

It's like some of you are missing the point of donations and charity..

Last edited:

blue82

BELEAF (win or lose)
Dec 7, 2009
Leaf Nation
hate all you want about this chairty event but i just scored some first row tickets on ticketmaster..i feel very lucky to not only get tickets but get 1st row ... i am looking forward to seeing some nhlers close up..also as an added bonus ive never been to maple leaf gardens since the last game so i look forward to going there :thumbu:

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
hate all you want about this chairty event but i just scored some first row tickets on ticketmaster..i feel very lucky to not only get tickets but get 1st row ... i am looking forward to seeing some nhlers close up..also as an added bonus ive never been to maple leaf gardens since the last game so i look forward to going there :thumbu:

How?? I tried and I used the most basic search so that I could see all of the possible seating options and I kept getting back no results.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
Online, over the phone, and at all TicketMaster retailers

As far as I know, the tickets were sold out almost right away. This is Toronto, ffs. People would pay to see the Ikea monkey on ice, as long as it is wearing a Leaf jersey.

Some of you are *****ing about NHL players playing for charity? Who cares if they're floating or are only doing this for the PR? I'll tell you who DOESN'T: the people and charity that the money is going to help.

It's like some of you are missing the point of donations and charity..

It's up to you, really, if you want to just "give" when you get something in return.

Are you as cynical about NHL players when they visit Sick Kids Hospital during the NHL season? Or is that also just propaganda from the player's "PR machine"?

No, they get nothing for those visits. Now it's all PR and dancing in front of cameras. There are players right now who are doing things and not advertising it, and to those i :handclap: . Other ones are just out there trying to save face in front of the fans.

Whether they are "floating" or not, the players want to give fans some hockey to watch during the lockout while donating to charity at the same time.

THE HORROR!!!!!!!! HOW COULD THEY?

Seriously anyone who has a problem with this has no life.

If they write a cheque on top, then it's meaningful in my eyes.

Cool Beans Man

Apr 18, 2007
Ontario
www.muckmyblog.blogspot.com
People have other things to do with their time. I agree with him. Watching NHLers float around is not something that appeals to me either, thus I'd rather donate to not watch them play and do something else with my time.

i don't see it. watching nhl players scrimmage holds no appeal whatsoever.

make a donation to your favorite charity and stay home.

I went to the Hall of Fame game this year, with no current players in fact, and had a great time.

I love watching hockey at any age/skill. Sure it's going to be like shinny, but it will be the best game of shinny to watch, that's for sure.

29Potvins

Jul 17, 2012
It's up to you, really, if you want to just "give" when you get something in return.

I don't think anyone here said anything about expecting anything in return for donating to charity. But when you DO get something in return for a donation, how is it that you and some others are complaining? Get off your high horse, just because donors of this event are getting a NHL shinny doesn't make the donation any less valid or have any less impact.

Give to whoever, whenever you want.. but to discourage people from going to a charity event because you don't approve of the charity game? That's lame, and even worse than not giving anything.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Looking at Kijiji, you would think this game means something by the outrageous prices.

Pretty gross that people would buy tickets to a charity game so they can sell them and make a profit. Saw the one posting selling 4 tickets for $400, which would make them $300 if anyone takes them up on it.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I guess because its at the Gardens on top of people
being starved for hockey, re-sellers capitalizing...

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
I don't think anyone here said anything about expecting anything in return for donating to charity. But when you DO get something in return for a donation, how is it that you and some others are complaining? Get off your high horse, just because donors of this event are getting a NHL shinny doesn't make the donation any less valid or have any less impact.

No, I want the players to open their walets. I could give 2 ***** about their time. Regular people are regular people, they care. The players do not. All I want is someone to lead by example.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
I was curious to see how many tickets were being resold. Not that many but it's so wrong that some of those people are trying to make a profit on an event where the tickets go to charity.

draeko17

Jul 7, 2007
No, I want the players to open their walets. I could give 2 ***** about their time. Regular people are regular people, they care. The players do not. All I want is someone to lead by example.

Giving your time actually is pretty commendable. It's a lot easier to open your wallet. Somehow I doubt any of the guys participating would hesitate to contribute financially. Seriously. I'm not going to assume they have contributed financially to this particular cause because how would I know? I try not to make blind assumptions, good or bad. Somehow, I doubt whether you know either.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
Giving your time actually is pretty commendable. It's a lot easier to open your wallet. Somehow I doubt any of the guys participating would hesitate to contribute financially. Seriously. I'm not going to assume they have contributed financially to this particular cause because how would I know? I try not to make blind assumptions, good or bad. Somehow, I doubt whether you know either.

Volunteering at soup kitchen or anywhere else, spending actual time especially when there's season going on, that time is valuable. Going on ice for an hour to do what you do best, I rather they just wrote a cheque - it would mean more when you give when you aren't making any. And trust me, we'd know about it, it's all about the PR right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino