TSN: NHL charity game in Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
So that people who want to go can't?

I understand people not caring I guess, but the animosity and cynicism shown in this thread goes way beyond not caring. If it's not what you want to do with your Wednesday evening, don't go. But there's absolutely nothing wrong with locked-out NHL players putting together a little scrimmage for charity, and some people jump at the chance to see guys like Steven Stamkos, Phil Kessel and Dion Phaneuf in a landmark building like Maple Leaf Gardens for a pretty great price, regardless of whether or not it's competitive hockey.

I found out this morning that I've got a pair of tickets as an early Christmas present, and I can't wait to go. These kinds of games, like I said earlier, are more about the atmosphere than the game itself, and they're also a cool way for people to see stars that they might normally not get the chance to see. The hockey itself is secondary to the spectacle, and if you don't want to spend your money on that, that's fine. No reason to feel all high-and-mighty because a charity game isn't worth your time.

I can assure you I am not feeling all high-and-mighty, that's for the players.
Charity is easy for a professional athlete and I certainly do not think they deserve any praise because they do charity events. I am pissed at these over priced ego laden xxxks, they are no more charitable than the next guy, but they sure like to advertise the fact that they do "charity". They do it with your money. It's BS.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Charity is easy for a professional athlete and I certainly do not think they deserve any praise because they do charity events. I am pissed at these over priced ego laden xxxks, they are no more charitable than the next guy, but they sure like to advertise the fact that they do "charity". They do it with your money. It's BS.

So fundraisers, relief concerts, telethons, any kind of celebrity using what fame they have to sponsor a good cause and get their audience to support that cause as well, that's all BS? Doing good things for other people should be celebrated, whether it's donating money, or time, or for famous people, even just donating your voice. Donating to charity or volunteering for charity isn't only honourable if you're poor.

binop7

Jul 4, 2011
Full rosters are

Team Subban Roster:
Chris Campoli, Carlo Colaiacovo, Tomas Kaberle, John-Michael Liles, P.K. Subban, Brad Boyes, David Clarkson, Logan Couture, Phil Kessel, Tom Kostopoulos, Matthew Lombardi, Joffrey Lupul Jay McClement, John Mitchell, Steve Ott, Peter Regin, Chris Stewart, Dan Winnik, Martin Biron

Team Stamkos Roster:
Michael Del Zotto, Mike Komisarek, Niklas Kronwall, Dion Phaneuf, Kyle Quincey, Dan Cleary, Tim Connolly, BJ Crombeen, Steve Downie, Chris Kelly, Mike Leighton, Clake MacArthur, Matt Martin, James Neal, Teddy Purcell, Steven Stamkos, David Steckel, Kris Versteeg, Wojtek Wolski, Jonas Gustavsson

Team Subban looks way better than team Stamkos. Plus Stamkos has got Gus in net.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Full rosters are

Team Subban Roster:
Chris Campoli, Carlo Colaiacovo, Tomas Kaberle, John-Michael Liles, P.K. Subban, Brad Boyes, David Clarkson, Logan Couture, Phil Kessel, Tom Kostopoulos, Matthew Lombardi, Joffrey Lupul Jay McClement, John Mitchell, Steve Ott, Peter Regin, Chris Stewart, Dan Winnik, Martin Biron

Team Stamkos Roster:
Michael Del Zotto, Mike Komisarek, Niklas Kronwall, Dion Phaneuf, Kyle Quincey, Dan Cleary, Tim Connolly, BJ Crombeen, Steve Downie, Chris Kelly, Mike Leighton, Clake MacArthur, Matt Martin, James Neal, Teddy Purcell, Steven Stamkos, David Steckel, Kris Versteeg, Wojtek Wolski, Jonas Gustavsson

Team Subban looks way better than team Stamkos. Plus Stamkos has got Gus in net.

Stamkos is the best player on either roster, they probably didn't want to make his team look too good, lol.

Subban's team only has one goalie.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Full rosters are

Team Subban Roster:

Team Stamkos Roster:

Hope they put on a good show for those attending.
Are they playing a full game?

29Potvins

Jul 17, 2012
Volunteering at soup kitchen or anywhere else, spending actual time especially when there's season going on, that time is valuable. Going on ice for an hour to do what you do best, I rather they just wrote a cheque - it would mean more when you give when you aren't making any. And trust me, we'd know about it, it's all about the PR right now.

I don't understand these two points of view. Neither of you know whether or not the players have or plan to write cheques to charity - so you assume they aren't and are condemning them for not doing so. YET, if you DO hear about them writing cheques to a charity, you chastise them for being part of the "PR machine".. there's no winning with you two, is there?

Second of all, players and other celebrities certainly hold a hell of a lot more influence than you or me. So I'm all for it if they can influence more people to donate to charity. Volunteering time and effort is giving. Since when is charity judged upon how "hard" your effort is or that it has to be done as an individual effort?

If you are speaking out against people donating time/effort to put on an event to help charity, then I question whether you care or know the purpose of a charity and donation. To me, it sounds like giving to charity is a chore to you, and that you only do it for the sense of moral superiority - which you use to knock down others.. shame on you. :help:

Last edited:

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Hope it's enjoyable.

I'd imagine it'd be similar to an All Star game. The defense will be rather useless playing defensively while everyone will be looking to score goals. None of these guys are going to sacrifice their bodies for a game of this nature.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'd imagine it'd be similar to an All Star game. The defense will be rather useless playing defensively while everyone will be looking to score goals. None of these guys are going to sacrifice their bodies for a game of this nature.

I would think so.

I'll never attend an All Star game again, waste of an afternoon.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
I don't understand these two points of view. Neither of you know whether or not the players have or plan to write cheques to charity - so you assume they aren't and are condemning them for not doing so. YET, if you DO hear about them writing cheques to a charity, you chastise them for being part of the "PR machine".. there's no winning with you two, is there?

Second of all, players and other celebrities certainly hold a hell of a lot more influence than you or me. So I'm all for it if they can influence more people to donate to charity. Volunteering time and effort is giving. Since when is charity judged upon how "hard" your effort is or that it has to be done as an individual effort?

If you are speaking out against people donating time/effort to put on an event to help charity, then I question whether you care or know the purpose of a charity and donation. To me, it sounds like giving to charity is a chore to you, and that you only do it for the sense of moral superiority - which you use to knock down others.. shame on you. :help:

You should have stopped after your first line because it speaks volumes.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto

And when you give to charity, whose money do you use? Unless you have your own money printer, I'm assuming the money you get paid belonged to someone else before you. Do the charitable contributions of government workers, police officers and firefighters not count since it's us (aka tax payers) that essentially pay them?

Charity is admirable no matter what status you hold in society. Charitable causes and donations made by celebrities are often given public acknowledgment because like it or not, celebrities bring awareness to a cause more than some random guy who works at your local coffee shop. You may not like that but that is the reality of the society we live in. If anything, you should be upset with 'normal folk' who pay so much attention to celebrities and give them that kind of power rather than be mad at the celebrities for using their celebrity power to do something good for others.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
The only thing that bothers me about this game is that PK Subban is headlining for one of the teams. This Habitant rolls into our city and takes over? I don't like it. :laugh:

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
And when you give to charity, whose money do you use? Unless you have your own money printer, I'm assuming the money you get paid belonged to someone else before you. Do the charitable contributions of government workers, police officers and firefighters not count since it's us (aka tax payers) that essentially pay them?

Charity is admirable no matter what status you hold in society. Charitable causes and donations made by celebrities are often given public acknowledgment because like it or not, celebrities bring awareness to a cause more than some random guy who works at your local coffee shop. You may not like that but that is the reality of the society we live in. If anything, you should be upset with 'normal folk' who pay so much attention to celebrities and give them that kind of power rather than be mad at the celebrities for using their celebrity power to do something good for others.

But are they being genuine or selfserving?

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
Full rosters are

Team Subban Roster:

Team Stamkos Roster:

It is funny how the vast majority of those players are current or former leafs.

That being said I like how Purcell and Cleary are playing good to see they are not just sitting around Newfoundland getting out of shape.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
But are they being genuine or selfserving?

Only they know for certain what their intentions are. And even if their intentions are self-serving, the benefits of their actions supersedes that of their selfishness because at the end of the day, someone in need is benefitting from it. If it means helping the sick, feeding a child, putting a roof over the heads of an impoverished family, I'd tolerate their selfishness all day long.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Only they know for certain what their intentions are. And even if their intentions are self-serving, the benefits of their actions supersedes that of their selfishness because at the end of the day, someone in need is benefitting from it. If it means helping the sick, feeding a child, putting a roof over the heads of an impoverished family, I'd tolerate their selfishness all day long.

Brings Lance Armstrong to mind. His charity was founded on a lie, but hey I guess the ends justify the means.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
The only thing that bothers me about this game is that PK Subban is headlining for one of the teams. This Habitant rolls into our city and takes over? I don't like it. :laugh:

He was born and raised in Toronto. Can't forget where you're from no matter where you are in the world ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad