NHL: Around the League 52

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
I think Atlanta can support a well run team. I just think the talent pool is stretched pretty thin at this point.

League average goaltending has dropped quite a bit as well. Those two factors combined makes me feel like there are really only a few good starters even left.

Corey Crawford in his heydey with the Blackhawks would be a perennial Vezina finales with these numbers in the current era of hockey.

1709919210917.png

Compare this to Shesterkin!
1709919259834.png

Reactions: Malaka

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Yep they’ve been pretty middling.

I don't really put much weight on standings points. They’re 3rd in their division, they’ll add at the TDL, their injured players will be back for the playoffs when the cap goes away, etc.

I just dont see Edmonton with their D beating Vegas in 7, and Colorado is basically a one line team this season. Nobody else in the West is legit to me, Im not a Vancouver believer.

This remains my position. And I like Vegas’ adds more than Florida’s.

Dallas remains a strong darkhorse though.

Reactions: DisgruntledHawkFan

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Vegas will be lucky to make the playoffs the way they are playing right now. 6th worst team over the last 30GP (26pts), slightly behind Columbus (27pts), and just ahead of Anaheim (25pts) and Montreal (23pts)

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
I never want to hear a GM ever say how hard it is to make trades. Vegas legitimately doesn't care about what anyone else thinks. This is a business and they make no qualms about running it like one.

As far as teams in their contending windows, absolutely.

Most GMs claim it's too hard to add one significant player at one position. Meanwhile Vegas is like 'we want the player with the highest positive impact on the market, so we will move whatever players provide us less cumulative impact, and give up whatever futures we need to in order to make that happen.'

They may reap the whirlwind later when all their big players are aging out on long-term deals, but you could say that of literally any successful team.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Dougie being out is a big loss for them. It's clear who the better Dman was/is between him and Jones when we were discussing both of them a couple years ago.
Jones is a significantly better D Man.
Hamilton is superior as an offensman.
And
Nobody wants young kids learning ACTUAL DEFENSE playing with Hamilton … who is a 4th forward.
Hamilton was the guy if you thought they could keep winning. Jones is the right guy for where they are at now.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
And
Nobody wants young kids learning ACTUAL DEFENSE playing with Hamilton … who is a 4th forward.
Hamilton was the guy if you thought they could keep winning. Jones is the right guy for where they are at now.

There is no measure by which Seth Jones has been better than Hamilton for the last 3-5 years of their career.

Hamilton simply has a greater overall positive impact on his team than Jones does.

Reactions: Hawkaholic

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
I'm hoping Vegas runs roughshod over the NHL too another cup and the boring ass trade days like the deadline and draft get stupid and fun again as everyone scrambles to keep up.
I feel the opposite. Vegas was handed a good team.
I’m waiting for them to miss the playoffs once or twice. … maybe a bottom 3 finish and we’ll see how many people show up.

Just came back Tuesday from spending my birthday there (61).
A lifelong friend of my wife tells us the Raiders are a hot ticket.
That the Golden Knights pull tickets from resellers every summer but then sell them back because there is no market for season ticket holders who want to go to the games themselves. Also common folks wages are lower there than Florida. Also limits the buyer pool.
So less than 10% of the house is season tix holders on any given night. If you’ve been around you know that’s not sustainable.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I feel the opposite. Vegas was handed a good team.
I’m waiting for them to miss the playoffs once or twice. … maybe a bottom 3 finish and we’ll see how many people show up.

Just came back Tuesday from spending my birthday there (61).
A lifelong friend of my wife tells us the Raiders are a hot ticket.
That the Golden Knights pull tickets from resellers every summer but then sell them back because there is no market for season ticket holders who want to go to the games themselves. Also common folks wages are lower there than Florida. Also limits the buyer pool.
So less than 10% of the house is season tix holders on any given night. If you’ve been around you know that’s not sustainable.
Vegas was handed a team full of scraps and turned them into a competitive bunch

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
They were handed tons of way too good young players for dumb trades. Probably to fault too much with roster construction, but Bowman actually planned for thr expansion. The Blackhawks were a rare team that got a better deal of Vegas, they gave them TVR to take Kruger on his contract, & vegas traded them both. (But Bowman over planned for the next draft, like potentially it was a part of the reasoning for trading Joker which was dumb)

If Atlanta does get an expansion. They're getting a rough time unless the rules are eased for them even more. People learned with Seattle and will know, let the expansion team take a terrible contact aging player if they really want. Don't trade people to protect bad values

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
And
Hamilton was the guy if you thought they could keep winning. Jones is the right guy for where they are at
There is no measure by which Seth Jones has been better than Hamilton for the last 3-5 years of their career.

Hamilton simply has a greater overall positive impact on his team than Jones does.
… Your opinion, accepted gracefully. But I do disagree. I don’t see Hamilton giving a flying f*** about helping rookies break in. Many of you would bitch about him just you bitch about Jones now. Of course many of you found things to bitch about while they were winning cups. And let’s not forget ripping guys apart because they ruined their bodies to secure those championships.

You’re joking right? Or you missed that expansion.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
They were handed tons of way too good young players for dumb trades. Probably to fault too much with roster construction, but Bowman actually planned for thr expansion. The Blackhawks were a rare team that got a better deal of Vegas, they gave them TVR to take Kruger on his contract, & vegas traded them both. (But Bowman over planned for the next draft, like potentially it was a part of the reasoning for trading Joker which was dumb)

If Atlanta does get an expansion. They're getting a rough time unless the rules are eased for them even more. People learned with Seattle and will know, let the expansion team take a terrible contact aging player if they really want. Don't trade people to protect bad values

You’re joking right? Or you missed that expansion.
Lots of people didn't have Vegas even making the playoffs that year. It's a joke to think they were handed this awesome roster. They capitalized on some bad GM decisions but that was a quantity over quality roster through and through.

Reactions: JaegerDice

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Vegas had it better than Seattle but that’s because GMs learned. They were gifted what they had but they still had to earns their gifts.

What they did though, was quit worrying about all this capital when they’re trying to win. Teams should probably do more of that.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
They were handed a couple of really good young pieces the most ridiculous perfect storm of misused talent and oodles and oodles of futures and turned that into a great team. People went to school off of that expansion draft and let the Kraken take middling guys off their active rosters.

Vegas was also exempt from the Kraken's expansion draft because nobody expected them to be anything.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
And
Nope. Jones is average defensively, just like Dougie, yet Dougie is superior offensively.

I don't really want young kids learning from Jones, either, he has zero IQ.

Vegas had it better than Seattle but that’s because GMs learned. They were gifted what they had but they still had to earns their gifts.

What they did though, was quit worrying about all this capital when they’re trying to win. Teams should probably do more of that.
If you're in the window for sure, I feel like their window is closing though. They aren't getting younger, and they don't have anybody waiting in the wings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad