Prospect Info: NHL 2017 Entry Draft - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
So one of Dax's posts yesterday in another thread about value of position got me thinking. If defense and centre carry a greater value than winger and the gap is large especially between winger and D men then maybe we should look at the centres in the top 13 of this draft and analyze whether they will stay at centre in the NHL?

Guys we won't get a shot at:

Patrick
Hischier

The rest:

Glass
Vilardi
Pettersson*
Necas*
Mittlestadt*
Suzuki
Rasmussen
Poehling
Andersson

I have put the * beside the players I speculate are at some risk to be converted to Nylander type scoring wingers. Now that is only my opinion based on nothing but a wild ass guess. Any thoughts on this topic? Am I overthinking this a bit perhaps given the two months of spare time we have in Winnipeg? :laugh:

Personally I think Mittelstadt has the best chance at staying Centre.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Centers and defensemen are more valuable pieces than wingers, yeah.

But to me there are way less good defensemen than there are good middle six centers. It's not that defensemen should be ridiculously overvalued compared to wingers. It's that they are because of supply and demand.

It's all well and good to try and get someone to trade a top four defenseman playing on their 3rd . pair. But it's more valuable to keep the defenseman, play them lower in the lineup and have them be a cost effective replacement for a more expensive D that will surely get overpaid come their UFA years.

Eventually the pendulum will swing back as a dozen or so new age top four guys get drafted each year. Slowly but surely.

So many still chastise the Hall for Larsson deal. Yet here we are trying to find a Larsson of our own and refusing to (over)pay what it will take. Maybe we will get lucky. But I fear we don't get a true fix for our situation without giving up Ehlers.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Centers and defensemen are more valuable pieces than wingers, yeah.

But to me there are way less good defensemen than there are good middle six centers. It's not that defensemen should be ridiculously overvalued compared to wingers. It's that they are because of supply and demand.

It's all well and good to try and get someone to trade a top four defenseman playing on their 3rd . pair. But it's more valuable to keep the defenseman, play them lower in the lineup and have them be a cost effective replacement for a more expensive D that will surely get overpaid come their UFA years.

Eventually the pendulum will swing back as a dozen or so new age top four guys get drafted each year. Slowly but surely.

So many still chastise the Hall for Larsson deal. Yet here we are trying to find a Larsson of our own and refusing to (over)pay what it will take. Maybe we will get lucky. But I fear we don't get a true fix for our situation without giving up Ehlers.

Do the Jets need a true fix. We have 3 top pairing dmen and Toby who may rebound to a top 4 level. The Oilers needed to overpay because they only had 2 legit top 4 dmen last summer and where desperate to shore up a hole. Given who the Jets have they can afford to explore cheaper options and FA first imo.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Do the Jets need a true fix. We have 3 top pairing dmen and Toby who may rebound to a top 4 level. The Oilers needed to overpay because they only had 2 legit top 4 dmen last summer and where desperate to shore up a hole. Given who the Jets have they can afford to explore cheaper options and FA first imo.

Totally agree with this. Sign a Brendan Smith and run this top 6:

Jmo-trouba
Smith-buff
Enstrom-Myers

That is certainly a playoff worthy top 6 d. With chairot, poolman etc as bottom pair injury replacements.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Totally agree with this. Sign a Brendan Smith and run this top 6:

Jmo-trouba
Smith-buff
Enstrom-Myers

That is certainly a playoff worthy top 6 d. With chairot, poolman etc as bottom pair injury replacements.

so sign a free agent at over 3 million probably closer to 4 million for our top 4 then pay 9 million to our bottom 2 dmen. plus another 2.5 million in the pb. that isn't going to happen. solution is simple trade myers or trouba for a ld. or play trouba on left side to give everybody the minutes they deserve.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
so sign a free agent at over 3 million probably closer to 4 million for our top 4 then pay 9 million to our bottom 2 dmen. that isn't going to happen. solution is simple trade myers or trouba for a ld. or play trouba on left side to give everybody the minutes they deserve.

The Jets can absorb an expensive player or two on the bottom pair for a year. Don't see the issue there. Toby leaves after next season or is back at a substantially reduced rate and Myers is moved for futures when he proves he's healthy and Poolman looks ready.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
The Jets can absorb an expensive player or two on the bottom pair for a year. Don't see the issue there. Toby leaves after next season or is back at a substantially reduced rate and Myers is moved for futures when he proves he's healthy and Poolman looks ready.

if the jets don't trade myers or trouba in the off season rest assured they wont play myers just 12 minutes a game nor will they for that matter play enstrom 12 minutes a game either.

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015
Are these RBC Cup games on TV?

these are western canada cup games. the winners move on to the RBC cup which starts in a couple weeks i believe. i think the finals are televised for sure, not sure about the preliminary games.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Baring a faller I think there is a decent chance that the Jets would have the following available:

Necas
Petterson
Valimaki
Foote

I like the idea of getting another D in the system, but if the Jets felt strongly that Necas or Petterson could turn into a #2 with the possibility of a #1C for instance, and thought that the ceilings of the D aren't as high, I'd like them to take the C. We could always use centre depth as well, and I'd rather go for the higher upside.

I like the idea of having your players put into tiers.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Baring a faller I think there is a decent chance that the Jets would have the following available:

Necas
Petterson
Valimaki
Foote

I like the idea of getting another D in the system, but if the Jets felt strongly that Necas or Petterson could turn into a #2 with the possibility of a #1C for instance, and thought that the ceilings of the D aren't as high, I'd like them to take the C. We could always use centre depth as well, and I'd rather go for the higher upside.

Seems likely that two or three of those would be available. If Pettersson and the D are available, it would be an interesting choice. Pettersson is likely BPA, but Foote and Valimaki fill a positional need in the organization better. I agree with you. Go for the best prospect, regardless of position at #13.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
if liljegren falls outside top 10 (i think DRW will take him at 9, but who knows?), i take the risk and trade up, if not trade back and acquire as many 2018 picks as possible.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016

Necas
Petterson
Valimaki
Foote

Foote just seems like a player our scouts would really go after. I won't complain about any of the four, though.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Don't mind that set up. Truth be told I think Connor is dynamic enough that he should compliment Armia and Lowry and make it a more dangerous all around line as we witnessed in the last game of the year.

Top 6 is good as is imo.

That leaves the 4th line. Copp is a quality two way centre for it. Mathias is an above league average scorer for that position. They need to bring in the right RW to compliment those two. I'd try for a vet like Hansen myself.

Sorry for going off topic but man would I love to see Hansen here! Think he would do a lot to make the team better defensively and would certainly help the pk.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville

Necas
Petterson
Valimaki
Foote

Agree. As much as I'd like them to get a D with their first pick, we may have greater need and less opportunity to pick up a 1-2C in the future (when we start making the playoffs.

Yes good D are hard to come by as well, but seems to me there are a lot more top-pairing D-men that come out of nowhere in the draft (like outside of the first round) than there are 1Cs. Anyone have any stats on that?

Last edited:

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Seems likely that two or three of those would be available. If Pettersson and the D are available, it would be an interesting choice. Pettersson is likely BPA, but Foote and Valimaki fill a positional need in the organization better. I agree with you. Go for the best prospect, regardless of position at #13.

That I don't agree with however. I'd be quite disappointed if we chose someone other than a D or C with #13. We are really overstocked with good wingers right now & look to be for a long time, but the cupboard is bare when it comes to decent D & we don't necessarily have the answer at C once Little moves on or ages out either.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
so sign a free agent at over 3 million probably closer to 4 million for our top 4 then pay 9 million to our bottom 2 dmen. plus another 2.5 million in the pb. that isn't going to happen. solution is simple trade myers or trouba for a ld. or play trouba on left side to give everybody the minutes they deserve.

We've got the cap space with cheap talent on ELCs, why not use it? plus it gives time for the young d we draft to develop before becoming cheap replacements for enstrom and Myers.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Seeing Valimaki in a lot of mock drafts to us. Seems like a good bet to be a second pairing guy. Have a feeling a really good forward will be there though.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Good to know because someone is going to fall to us that we least expect.

Yeah man I think we need someone to replace Little, Little is great but he is aging(29yrs) and the team around him will not be fully developed in time for his good years of hockey.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.

Necas
Petterson
Valimaki
Foote

Is Necas really a better choice than Suzuki? From what I've seen I think I'd rather have Suzuki.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Is Necas really a better choice than Suzuki? From what I've seen I think I'd rather have Suzuki.

That's a good question. Could be, I like what I hear about Suzuki too.

I was impressed with Necas's skating in watching clips of him though. Didn't seem out of place playing against men already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad