NHL 2017/2018 TV ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
NBA: ROCKETS/WARRIORS 7.8M (TNT)

MLB: CLEVELAND/HOUSTON 1.1M (ESPN)

COLLEGE SOFTBALL: MICHIGAN/NOTRE DAME 663k (ESPN)

MLS: Portland/Los Angeles FC 465K(FOX)

WNBA: LOS ANGELES/MINNESOTA 297k (ESPN2)

MLS: ATLANTA UNITED/NEW YORK RED BULLS 171k(176k) (FS1)

Ratings Capture.JPG

Hey Coin are you tracking other leagues ratings to. I doo so in my spare time as a fan of both NHL and MLS I track both leagues it kinda a hobby you mixed up the MLS number it was 176k and you left out the other MLS rating of 465k

CAPS for the WIN!!
Who's your team btw?

Last edited:

46zone

Pass me the soft pretzels
Feb 5, 2007
Philadelphia
Just for comparison purposes, but the 2013 conference finals had much better TV matchups. For the east it was Boston vs Pittsburgh and for the west it was Chicago vs LA. To come close to that with markets like Winnipeg, Vegas, and Tampa is a good sign for the league.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Just for comparison purposes, but the 2013 conference finals had much better TV matchups. For the east it was Boston vs Pittsburgh and for the west it was Chicago vs LA. To come close to that with markets like Winnipeg, Vegas, and Tampa is a good sign for the league.
agreed. it is amazing what a better overall product on the ice (more watchable and better flow) can do for the average fan...and better marketing by NBC as well!

but if I see one more damn Gatorade commercial with Kane and Keith saying Smooooooth...I am going to puke lol!!

Reactions: Soundgarden

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Providence-New Bedford is its own TV market. The NBC station there is WJAR, while in Boston it is WBTS. I don't know if there are any cable systems/service providers that carry both stations, but I would be surprised.

If we're entirely honest here, the numbers just show that Buffalo is the only real hockey market in the U.S., every other market cares really only for their own team and typically only when they're good.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Stanley Cup, 3rd Round, Day 9 (Saturday):

WASHINGTON/TAMPA BAY 2.9M (NBC)

Stanley Cup, 3rd Round, Day 10 (Sunday):

VEGAS/WINNIPEG 2.1M (NBC)

-------------------------------------------------------------

Some other weekends numbers:

NBA: ROCKETS/WARRIORS 7.8M (TNT)

MLB: CLEVELAND/HOUSTON 1.1M (ESPN)

COLLEGE SOFTBALL: MICHIGAN/NOTRE DAME 663k (ESPN)

WNBA: LOS ANGELES/MINNESOTA 297k (ESPN2)

MLS: ATLANTA UNITED/NEW YORK RED BULLS 171k (FS1)
i know this is the business of hockey but these baseball ratings are abysmal. They are clearly number three nationally now.

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
If we're entirely honest here, the numbers just show that Buffalo is the only real hockey market in the U.S., every other market cares really only for their own team and typically only when they're good.

We're just desperate to see some quality hockey after the last few season:sarcasm:

But seriously, the numbers Buffalo puts up on ratings are always crazy, even if in reality it's not that many actual people because of market size.

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
Providence-New Bedford is its own TV market. The NBC station there is WJAR, while in Boston it is WBTS. I don't know if there are any cable systems/service providers that carry both stations, but I would be surprised.

Except for Vegas and Ft. Myers. Two places that have ended up on the top 10 list for Cup finals ratings every year since 2008

Reactions: BattleBorn

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
awesome ratings!!! I have to imagine this series is going to get some pretty huge ratings just on Vegas and the Cinderella theme alone.. never mind the actual excellent hockey we will be watching..

razor ray

May 8, 2011
I wonder how a GS/Houston game 7 on Monday will impact ratings. With CP out tonight Houston will get rolled.

Nicky Santoro

May 23, 2012
Montreal
it won't be 10x. it'll be about 4x or 5x.. only because nhl is on network tv and nba is on cable. also, it's the SC Finals. but boy, the NHL can't catch a break at all. i checked MLB schedule and mon was a very slow night.. so the NHL game would've had it all to itself. and it was on NBC. they would've destroyed. also, i checked and not one game in the finals will coincide with the NBA...now it's all out the window cuz of gm7. and now gm2 and gm3 is on cable. Every market in the US will beat out hockey.. except for wash and Vegas.. and i am so sure that even in WASH, it won't be a blowout for caps... they won't win by a large margin over nba.... only vegas will dominate over nba. even buffalo and minnesota will have nba hammer nhl..

who knows what that rating would've been had there not been a gm7.. oh well..

May 15, 2015
it won't be 10x. it'll be about 4x or 5x.. only because nhl is on network tv and nba is on cable. also, it's the SC Finals. but boy, the NHL can't catch a break at all. i checked MLB schedule and mon was a very slow night.. so the NHL game would've had it all to itself. and it was on NBC. they would've destroyed. also, i checked and not one game in the finals will coincide with the NBA...now it's all out the window cuz of gm7. and now gm2 and gm3 is on cable. Every market in the US will beat out hockey.. except for wash and Vegas.. and i am so sure that even in WASH, it won't be a blowout for caps... they won't win by a large margin over nba.... only vegas will dominate over nba. even buffalo and minnesota will have nba hammer nhl..

who knows what that rating would've been had there not been a gm7.. oh well..
Similar situation happened two years ago when NBA drew its cable TV record and these were the numbers

Thunder/Warriors Game 7 averaged 8.9 final rating and 16.0 million viewers on TNT, peaked at a 10.9 rating and 19.8 million, it scored a 6.4 rating in 18-49

Sharks/Penguins SCF Game 1 averaged 2.3 final rating and 4.1 million viewers on NBC, it scored a 1.4 rating in 18-49

Nicky Santoro

May 23, 2012
Montreal
so it was only 4x..(16.1-4.0) and dont forget, we lost alot of viewers with SJ who were watching GS. and SJ/PIT will not even come close to the draw that WASH/VEG will get.. So if they got 4M in gm 1 there, can u imagine what we would've got had there not been a gm7?

I just pray this NHL final doesn't end in 4 or 5. Lets be like NBA and always go to gm7. Cuz if this series goes 7 in Vegas with no NBA, i can see a record in viewers for that game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad