NHL 2017/2018 TV ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
how much does this help in renegotiations of the current NBC contract?? Can we expect more players now involved like Fox Sports and ESPN seeing the numbers doing as well as they have without 4 of their top markets???? This has to be making NBC/NBC Sports pretty happy

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
how much does this help in renegotiations of the current NBC contract?? Can we expect more players now involved like Fox Sports and ESPN seeing the numbers doing as well as they have without 4 of their top markets???? This has to be making NBC/NBC Sports pretty happy

It just balances out the regular season losses.

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
High play-off numbers are much more important for NBC than regular season's decline.

Very debatable two months of "relatively" solid playoff numbers don't make up for a 7 month regular season that once again has had another steep decline in regular season ratings. Maybe I'm just extra down because the Caps are blowing it I went to BWW's last night to watch, but if you look at the numbers and see the big picture and overall trend you may understand my thinking.

It's easy to get caught up on a positive playoff season of numbers thus far, I see some people posting about how the NHL is a great deal and steal for NBC and then wondering how much the current Playoff TV ratings will finally help get that "Big" US TV deal . Remember it's all relative and we should temper our expectations because when I go look at the big picture deal across the regular season since we got the $200 mil US TV deal with NBC in 2010, NHL has only posted 2 seasons of positive television gains since the NBC deal in 2010. Yes I said 2 SEASONS and one of those gains came at the advantage of a a strike shortened season. So it's all relative in terms of what is "good" when talking TV ratings. A post season of solid numbers is a yummy 2 (months) slices of the pie that has 7 (months) other slices and the other slices of pie don't taste as good.

Looking at the numbers it's clear to see the rush for expansion (Seattle) and the rumors about Houston. It's clear Bettman sees these exact numbers and has internal info that tells NHL something needs to be done to reverse the trend before negotiations for the new US TV deal starts in 2020 or the next TV deal negotiation or CBA negotiations won't be pretty.
NHL TV ratings.JPG

Last edited:

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
Very debatable two months of "relatively" solid playoff numbers don't make up for a 7 month regular season that once again has had another steep decline in regular season ratings. Maybe I'm just extra down because the Caps are blowing it I went to BWW's last night to watch, but if you look at the numbers and see the big picture and overall trend you may understand my thinking.

It's easy to get caught up on a positive playoff season of numbers thus far, I see some people posting about how the NHL is a great deal and steal for NBC and then wondering how much the current Playoff TV ratings will finally help get that "Big" US TV deal . Remember it's all relative and we should temper our expectations because when I go look at the big picture deal across the regular season since we got the $200 mil US TV deal with NBC in 2010, NHL has only posted 2 seasons of positive television gains since the NBC deal in 2010. Yes I said 2 SEASONS and one of those gains came at the advantage of a a strike shortened season. So it's all relative in terms of what is "good" when talking TV ratings. A post season of solid numbers is a yummy 2 (months) slices of the pie that has 7 (months) other slices and the other slices of pie don't taste as good.

Looking at the numbers it's clear to see the rush for expansion (Seattle) and the rumors about Houston. It's clear Bettman sees these exact numbers and has internal info that tells NHL something needs to be done to reverse the trend before negotiations for the new US TV deal starts in 2020 or the next TV deal negotiation or CBA negotiations won't be pretty.
View attachment 121865
Its not debatable. Those numbers, while seeminly paltry compared to other sports regular season numbers, are by far the most viewed/highly rated broadcasts for NBCSN outside of Olympic coverage and the Tour De France. Its basically the cable audience of an Indycar race, but 99 times a year as opposed to 11-12(indy gets paid $70 mill a year by them too).

Also, especially since 2015, the playoffs have proven that the NHL can still get ratings without its big markets in the mix. The added strength of Nashville, Tampa, a more engaged LA and DC, now Vegas with the promise of a top 10 tv market added to the fold, I 100 percent doubt the rights fee will decrease for the next tv contract

Reactions: eddygee

46zone

Pass me the soft pretzels
Feb 5, 2007
Philadelphia
Also, especially since 2015, the playoffs have proven that the NHL can still get ratings without its big markets in the mix. The added strength of Nashville, Tampa, a more engaged LA and DC, now Vegas with the promise of a top 10 tv market added to the fold, I 100 percent doubt the rights fee will decrease for the next tv contract

If anything they should be in line for a major increase if the playoff numbers continue to grow for another year or two. NBC is getting bang for its buck, and that's without big market teams performing well. None of Dallas, Detroit, LA, Philly, Boston, New York, or Chicago have made deep runs in the playoffs since 2015.

People forget how dismal NHL playoff ratings were ten years ago. The fact that Vegas vs Winnipeg can put up legitimately good cable numbers shows the league is in a stronger place.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
Its not debatable. Those numbers, while seeminly paltry compared to other sports regular season numbers, are by far the most viewed/highly rated broadcasts for NBCSN outside of Olympic coverage and the Tour De France. Its basically the cable audience of an Indycar race, but 99 times a year as opposed to 11-12(indy gets paid $70 mill a year by them too).

Idk man I hear you on the playoff ratings but I'm not gonna pretend like they haven't been signs and cracks with NBC showing displeasure with the ratings this seasons and the decisions by the league negatively impacting ratings.

I don't see a decrease at all I think we get a increase to around 350-400 mil a year in the US TV deal, but IMHO don't expect more than that. Playoffs are good and that will get us the increase I believe from 200m to 350-400 mil because there is no way you can look at the regular season ratings over the current deal and say give us 500mil US. As far as other regular season numbers you are right the only other league that gets comparable numbers for NBC is the Premier League with around 400k regular season average, I can see them re upping with the highest bidder when there contract ends as they have hit a limit in TV growth at 500k in 2015.

But jeez I'm hoping the Caps can pull it off.

Last edited:

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Washington's game 5 numbers on NBC were significantly worse than game 3 & 4..it's almost like people turned off the moment the Caps stopped looking like winners and started looking like chokers again. I bet tonight it will be even lower as people locally have already accepted the L.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

I agree with a lot of this, but for me I thought for years NBC did an absolutely horrific job of promoting the NHL brand on their tv and only catering to a few of the markets instead of growing the game on a bigger picture.

Looking at how NBC and NBC Sports is promoting the product currently, yeah it makes freaking sense to see increases like this without top teams!! Finally seeing commercials all over the place for games as well as actual tie-ins from programs airing prior that makes sense and helps keep viewership into the NHL games.

By the way - hasn't most sports regular season numbers dropped pretty solidly as well?? I know football has seen some pretty big drops as well as baseball, I think people just get tired of an entire season and tune in to the best matchups and playoffs outside of your diehards.

If some of the bigger market teams get back into this thing next year, and the product on the ice continues to allow for creativity/goal scoring/etc..I think we will see some of the best numbers we have seen in a long time..Don't f*** this up NBC/NHL..hahahaha...wait, Bettman says "hold my beer!"

Reactions: eddygee

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
I agree with a lot of this, but for me I thought for years NBC did an absolutely horrific job of promoting the NHL brand on their tv and only catering to a few of the markets instead of growing the game on a bigger picture.

Looking at how NBC and NBC Sports is promoting the product currently, yeah it makes freaking sense to see increases like this without top teams!! Finally seeing commercials all over the place for games as well as actual tie-ins from programs airing prior that makes sense and helps keep viewership into the NHL games.

By the way - hasn't most sports regular season numbers dropped pretty solidly as well?? I know football has seen some pretty big drops as well as baseball, I think people just get tired of an entire season and tune in to the best matchups and playoffs outside of your diehards.

If some of the bigger market teams get back into this thing next year, and the product on the ice continues to allow for creativity/goal scoring/etc..I think we will see some of the best numbers we have seen in a long time..Don't **** this up NBC/NHL..hahahaha...wait, Bettman says "hold my beer!"

The only leagues that are seeing TV growth are NBA and MLS all the other leagues are bleeding TV audience. It will be interesting to see if the NFL sees a NBA rebound in ratings after the last two seasons.

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
The NHL won't get a signifcantly larger contract because of missing the olympics which cost NBC money.

I'm in this boat combined with the steep regular seasons ratings decline. Thinking about it I wouldn't be surprise is NBC low balls a offer of around 275 mil per yr and then both sides negotiate up somewhere between $300-400 mil.

My suspicions went up after NBC made those comments around the Olympics it just came off as one of those damaging things that get said in a marriage that is starting to fall apart. It kinda gets glossed over and then when the Divorce papers come people say but they seemed so happy together. I just KINDA see things coming to a head if ratings as a whole don't improve, meaning the 7 month Regular season not just Playoffs. The numbers since the last TV deal was signed don't look good.

The play offs have kept us formidable but every regular season the TV ratings drops takes a little bit of the shine off the playoffs. NBC obviously has this on their mind they will play nice as its really in both benefit right now. NBC knows what NHL can get for Playoffs but for them to make those comments openly when they could have been made behind the scenes was concerning.

Last edited:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I'm in this boat combined with the steep regular seasons ratings decline. Thinking about it I wouldn't be surprise is NBC low balls a offer of around 275 mil per yr and then both sides negotiate up somewhere between $300-400 mil.

My suspicions went up after NBC made those comments around the Olympics it just came off as one of those damaging things that get said in a marriage that is starting to fall apart. It kinda gets glossed over and then when the Divorce papers come people say but they seemed so happy together. I just KINDA see things coming to a head if ratings as a whole don't improve, meaning the 7 month Regular season not just Playoffs. The numbers since the last TV deal was signed don't look good.

The play offs have kept us formidable but every regular season the TV ratings drops takes a little bit of the shine off the playoffs. NBC obviously has this on their mind they will play nice as its really in both benefit right now. NBC knows what NHL can get for Playoffs but for them to make those comments openly when they could have been made behind the scenes was concerning.
well, isn't the next contract not up to NBC, but the market itself? rumors swirling that Fox Sports and ESPN want in on hockey, and if that is the case, it is going to cost more than $400mil for the NHL or at least some type of multi-network deal which I am hoping for...competition is the best thing for the NHL and luckily Fox Sports wants in bad on a major sport now, which only makes them a viable option to any low ball NBC offer that possibly could have been.

also, I have to imagine that NBC has been very happy over the years with the ratings they have gotten...regardless of the regular season numbers, seems to me they got one hell of a deal years ago that has paid off handsomely for them as well. the NHL got what it needed at the time, back on National TV, took less money than all the major sports obviously and have reestablished a product that we all know performs better overall in the playoffs. I have to imagine NBC does all that it can to keep the NHL with the little amount of money they spent overall when you consider what it costs for the other 3 major sports in the big picture...

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
well, isn't the next contract not up to NBC, but the market itself? rumors swirling that Fox Sports and ESPN want in on hockey, and if that is the case, it is going to cost more than $400mil for the NHL or at least some type of multi-network deal which I am hoping for...competition is the best thing for the NHL and luckily Fox Sports wants in bad on a major sport now, which only makes them a viable option to any low ball NBC offer that possibly could have been.

also, I have to imagine that NBC has been very happy over the years with the ratings they have gotten...regardless of the regular season numbers, seems to me they got one hell of a deal years ago that has paid off handsomely for them as well. the NHL got what it needed at the time, back on National TV, took less money than all the major sports obviously and have reestablished a product that we all know performs better overall in the playoffs. I have to imagine NBC does all that it can to keep the NHL with the little amount of money they spent overall when you consider what it costs for the other 3 major sports in the big picture...

I hadn't heard the rumors on Fox Sports, any links? I know there was some buzz by Buccigross that ESPN would look to get back in with ESPN but that appears to have just been the deal with ESPN+ and not a return. Where would NHL fit in on Fox Sports they have MLS in the spring thru fall, B1G 10 football fall-winter college and most like keep investing and will re-up with MLS as they have the World Cup til 2026. Turner TNT/TBS?? They have NBA and MLB. I only see NBC the most likely option unless CBS gets into the the sports market outside of NFL/College football their breadwinners.

For a second I thought FOX could work with similar to how NBC works with NHL and NBC but I forgot that it only works because EPL is only showed in the mornings because of the time difference. Which allows NHL to be center stage. So it really becomes a question of take what you can get exclusively and get top billing at NBC or split properties and try to get a little more out of each network but NHL won't get scheduling priority and be the center of attention like NBC gives us.

Last edited:

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Comcast/NBC will ultimately bite the bullet and pay and increase because without the NHL they don’t have have channel anymore.

The NHL provides NBCSN with its weekday content from October to June. And nightly programming from April to June. There is just no replacing that. I don’t think it is a coincidence the NBC’s other sports contracts expire about the same time except for NASCAR.

I’m sure FOX and ESPN will bid more heavily for the rights as they can seek to kill a competitor.

NHL rights are a bulk purchase play anyways. If you are the NHL the best play is drive up the price as much as you can on NBC and renew. Make sure you keep the number of bidders around for the next round of negotiations.

What killed the league in the mid-aughts was ESPN monopolizing cable sports rights in the middle of the 2000-2004 rights deal. When it came to renew then ESPN tried to squeeze them and Bettman had to turn to Comcast to create Versus.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Comcast/NBC will ultimately bite the bullet and pay and increase because without the NHL they don’t have have channel anymore.

The NHL provides NBCSN with its weekday content from October to June. And nightly programming from April to June. There is just no replacing that. I don’t think it is a coincidence the NBC’s other sports contracts expire about the same time except for NASCAR.

I’m sure FOX and ESPN will bid more heavily for the rights as they can seek to kill a competitor.

NHL rights are a bulk purchase play anyways. If you are the NHL the best play is drive up the price as much as you can on NBC and renew. Make sure you keep the number of bidders around for the next round of negotiations.

What killed the league in the mid-aughts was ESPN monopolizing cable sports rights in the middle of the 2000-2004 rights deal. When it came to renew then ESPN tried to squeeze them and Bettman had to turn to Comcast to create Versus.
ever see what NBC has done since that deal, jkr, NBC just added Indycar full season beginning in 2019, and that included the upcoming Indianapolis 500, ESPN/ABC Gets Liberty's F1 PACKAGE in return, after it had been on FOX, FOX also just lost the bidding rights to IMSA aka WeatherTech Sports Car Series, again, to NBC..... AND that's to name 2 recent acquisition rights, It's a very impressive listing what between Comcast, NBC, and its subsidiaries now control.

Coinneach

Feb 1, 2014
Czech Republic
Stanley Cup, 3rd Round, Day 9 (Saturday):

WASHINGTON/TAMPA BAY 2.9M (NBC)

Stanley Cup, 3rd Round, Day 10 (Sunday):

VEGAS/WINNIPEG 2.1M (NBC)

-------------------------------------------------------------

Some other weekends numbers:

NBA: ROCKETS/WARRIORS 7.8M (TNT)

MLB: CLEVELAND/HOUSTON 1.1M (ESPN)

COLLEGE SOFTBALL: MICHIGAN/NOTRE DAME 663k (ESPN)

WNBA: LOS ANGELES/MINNESOTA 297k (ESPN2)

MLS: ATLANTA UNITED/NEW YORK RED BULLS 171k (FS1)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad