NHL 2017/2018 TV ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicky Santoro

May 23, 2012
Montreal
at first i said, well, at least the viewers can watch the 1st period and not be same time as NBA, so that can raise the avg a bit. then i realized inside the NBA is on too. OUCH. ppl love shaq and barkley.. We are in deep trouble. our only hope is a team is up 69-32 at the half and ppl turn to the game cuz it's over. If that happens and the game goes to double OT, we have a crack at obtaining a great rating. If not, it'll be UGLY. i wonder if NBC is not wishing this game was on NBCSN. it's a waste being on NBC.

Nicky Santoro

May 23, 2012
Montreal
the most impressive of all is vegas getting 28.08. And this game was at 5pm local.. ppl were still at work or still in their cars, and that doesn't even include the 18,000 in the arena and the thousands outside watching.. WOW...... If i am not mistaken, didn't they avg like 1.9 this whole season. what a jump.. and wash at 16.2 is damn great too, considering gm7 nba was on too.

If nhl can get roughly 5M viewers for gm1 vs gm 7 nba.. can u imagine what # they'd get if this went to gm7??? I can honestly see an all time record rating, or close to it... WASH and ovy 1st ever cup, VS an expansion team at home......pls GOD, let this NOT be a sweep or a a 5 game series. Let this go to gm7.. It'll be a great way to end this great NHL season.

Last edited:

sctvman

It was a holiday (Memorial Day in the United States), so most people were off work, but still a huge rating for what wasn’t a hockey market before this year.

.@Capitals @GoldenKnights series resonating. Following markets had their BEST local rating for a Gm1 on NBC in which their team was not playing: Buf (8.84), Chi (4.02), Dallas (2.45), LA (3.23), Minny (6.58), Nash (4.11), Pitt (10.31), SaltLake (3.30), StL (5.22), Tampa (4.02)

2.99 in Norfolk.

Anthony Crupi: With an average draw of 14.8 million viewers, TNT's coverage of Game 7 of the WCF now stands as the second most-watched NBA game in the history of cable TV. Warriors-Rockets peaked at 18 million viewers from 11-11:15 p.m.

Nicky Santoro

May 23, 2012
Montreal
that's right, it was columbus day. great post btw. i was also wondering what the top 10 were. I wanted to see if LA had any interest in Vegas seeing they are close to each other and i see LA did a 3.23. great.

but i am very disappointed in bos, phi and det. none of them did well. i was at least hoping to see BOS crack top 10. it's a hockey town, but i think they care more about basketball now.. I think PIT doing amazing now is because they are watching Fleury.. maybe even STL is also interested in Oshie. Glad to also see CHI get 4+. i did not expect that at all. I guess CHI has become a hockey town now.

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
Game 1 had 4.8 mil a small decrease from last years 4.9 mil. Was an exciting game was at Bdubs watching pulling for my Caps sigh:(

SC.JPG

NextBigThing

Feb 25, 2010
Devine Rink
that's right, it was columbus day. great post btw. i was also wondering what the top 10 were. I wanted to see if LA had any interest in Vegas seeing they are close to each other and i see LA did a 3.23. great.

but i am very disappointed in bos, phi and det. none of them did well. i was at least hoping to see BOS crack top 10. it's a hockey town, but i think they care more about basketball now.. I think PIT doing amazing now is because they are watching Fleury.. maybe even STL is also interested in Oshie. Glad to also see CHI get 4+. i did not expect that at all. I guess CHI has become a hockey town now.
Many in Boston don't get/can't find NBC. It's a new station that no one seems to watch. Bruins games on NBC were down from where they were as well as Patriots Sunday nights (including the Super Bowl).

Jonas1235

Jan 8, 2008
Calgary
so I was right around 5 m for NBC. It was an amazing game, but isn't game 2 and game 3 on nbcsn?

an added bonus for NBC is the streaming numbers. They are sky rocketing each year.

Reactions: eddygee

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
so I was right around 5 m for NBC. It was an amazing game, but isn't game 2 and game 3 on nbcsn?

an added bonus for NBC is the streaming numbers. They are sky rocketing each year.

Nope you gotta get it down to the thousandth decimal, close but no cigar lol.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
you would think NBC would want the entire series on its main station with the trend in ratings it has been getting. no better way to mass market this product for this series and future years by putting it ALL on NBC...I know, I know...whatever stupid comedy/news program they have on still gets better ratings, but for the money invested by NBC, I would think they would start going the entire Finals on NBC...failed opportunity here IMO.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
NBC can be happy.

yep, and like I said, those expecting bad numbers were crazy, the entire playoffs is up, its not going to all of a sudden bottom out because of stupid NBA - they simply don't really share the same fan bases. awesome job, keep it up and lets see a game 7 in the 6-7 mil range!!!

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
you would think NBC would want the entire series on its main station with the trend in ratings it has been getting. no better way to mass market this product for this series and future years by putting it ALL on NBC...I know, I know...whatever stupid comedy/news program they have on still gets better ratings, but for the money invested by NBC, I would think they would start going the entire Finals on NBC...failed opportunity here IMO.

Having two games of the Final helps NBCSN with its carriage fee. NBC is quite happy business wise with two games in NBCSN.

Now the NHL probably feels different.

Bookie21

Dec 26, 2017
The worst NBA rating would still be 3 times as big as the best hockey.
It better be a lot more than 3 times as big. The NBA gets 2.7 billion a year for its TV deal. NBC is very happy with the deal they have with the NHL. ESPN on the other hand, not so much. They'r slashing costs and massive layoffs because of the horrible deal they signed....literally hemorrhaing money. The NBA would need 14 times the ratings the NHL gets in order to have the same value for it's network partner. NBC is loving the deal

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
If you cut away the casual fanbase which watches the NBA, the NHL and NBA hardcore foundation fanbase will be around the same leaning slightly towards the NBA.

I am starting to believe they have more than NFL. Sports fans are starting to learn how brutal the NBA is with the same two teams making the finals three years in a row (might be more than just three, I haven't chequed).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad